Pittsburgh rocks, you know.

When I had lunch with David Conrad (here’s where half of you go, “lucky bitch” and the other half of you go, “My God, PittGirl, will you shut up about that already?”) we discussed why we love Pittsburgh so much and David, in true David Conrad fashion spoke eloquently (he may or may not have said forsooth) about the neighborhoods, the people, the small gestures of kindness that you can’t find in other cities, his ability to walk the streets without getting mauled except very occasionally by some lunatic named PittGirl … or one of her minions.

I also reminded David that in one of his odes to the Burgh, he said that you just don’t know what makes you fall in love with someone’s face. He nodded vigorously at that and probably made a mental note that I might be obsessed with him. That mental note turned into a mental restraining order in triplicate when I reminded him of a Halloween charity event he hosted here in the Burgh about TEN YEARS AGO that he had completely forgotten about.

This discussion then turned a bit to how it bothers the both of us (see, we have so much in common, we’re totally BFFs) when people that live here complain so much about the city. We both agreed that while Pittsburgh has its faults, it is what you make of it and there are opportunities and fun and life to be found and embraced here.

Let’s pause a moment for PittGirl to look longingly up to the corner of the ceiling and daydream about having cappuccino with David Conrad.

We’re back.

The reason I tell you this is because in support of what PittGirl and David Conrad know, and that is that the Burgh ROCKS, ya’ll, that same Burgh made some very nice headway this week in kicking our apparent smoky, steely, downtrodden, life-sucks-there image soundly in the nuts.

1. Pittsburgh is on Frommer’s just released list of Top Destinations for 2008.

Pittsburgh turns 250 next year, and visitors during the 2008 semiquincentennial will discover that Steel City USA has swapped out its rusting blast furnaces for a modern cityscape with a thriving local and international arts scene. It retains its past glory in its universities, ethnic neighborhoods, and supremely engineered and iconic bridges that span the Allegheny, Monongahela and Ohio rivers criss-crossing the city. And it offers up one of the country’s most impressive cultural collections: the Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh. Take your pick from dinosaur bones, at the Natural History Museum, to Pop Art, at the museum dedicated to Pittsburgh’s native son Andy Warhol. Throughout the year, Pittsburgh will be offering up special events commemorating its 250-year history, including theatrical and balletic performances, sports events, the Pittsburgh Biennial and Carnegie International arts fairs, and more.

We’re on there with Morocco, Wales, Ecuador, Romania and (cough) New Jersey (gag).

Give it about ten minutes before Lukey releases a statement to the press about how he had everything to do with this.

2. And secondly, BizJournals did a ranking, a very scientific-looking ranking, of the Best Cities for Fun! and Pittsburgh placed in the top ten. Eighth to be exact.

We beat out the likes of Miami, Cleveland (SUCKS!), Cincinnati, Dallas, Richmond, Atlanta and lots of other places.

Now lets see if they described Pittsburgh without using the words smoky or steel.

Why it’s a fun place

Pittsburgh doesn’t have a glittering image, to be sure, but its residents definitely know how to have fun. This is a great area for shopping; only Boston ranks higher in that category. And few places offer better options for golfers, bowlers, moviegoers or fans of live theater.

Holla!

Also:

Fun fact

The Pittsburgh area has 4.19 golf courses per 100,000 residents, the best ratio in the entire country.

That is a fun fact! One I’m going to be sure to pull out of my pocket the next time I say, “Hey, here’s a fun fact…”

There’s a place to write your comments about what YOUR fun city is. In the midst of places like Pittsburgh, Las Vegas, Destin, etc. is this guy:

Sumpter, Oregon. It’s a teeny-weeny little former gold-mining town where we ride motorcycles and ATV’s in the summer and snowmobile like crazy in the winter! Nothing beats it.

OMG, you guys! We need to go to Sumpter, Oregon (population: 191) because when I think of fun I think of “teeny-weeny little former gold-mining” towns, yo.

I’m going to show up there, in my heels, walking clumsily down the rocky dirt road that probably runs down the center of town all, “PittGirl in the hizzle!  Can we get this party STARTED?!?”

(h/t Displaced Burgher)

1. Frank
    December 11, 2007 9:41 am

Nice…I love reading positive things in the news about Pittsburgh! I think people wait to release articles like those until the Steelers lose so it acts as a little pick-me-up for people.

And amen about the complainers–if you want to change something, don’t complain, DO something about it!

2. Steve S.
    December 11, 2007 9:59 am

I can’t believe that Sumpter OR was mentioned by PG!! I grew up just south west of there in John Day OR, My grandma actually was born and raised in Sumpter.

We would dive through Sumpter all the time on our way to Walmart (In Baker City).

I have been gone for too long. Thanks for making me home sick…

3. BBM
    December 11, 2007 10:25 am

It always annoys me when a conversation turns to why I opted to move to Pittsburgh after college. Apparently, many life long Pittsburghers think there has to be some excuse for that choice. My ‘excuse’ is that I love Pittsburgh and all it’s back asswards Steeler loving mullet-wearing yinzers. Well, maybe not all of them (you who slams on the breaks at the tunnel–STOP IT!), but most of them.

December 11, 2007 10:52 am

BBM, They have to slow down to read the sign that reads “Maintain Speed Through Tunnel.” It’s brand new to them, every time.

5. TC
    December 11, 2007 11:29 am

Don’t tell the rest of the country how this area rocks! Then we’ll be overrun with jag-offs!

6. Lauren
    December 11, 2007 11:48 am

yes, pittsburgh rocks. i had to relocate (bummer) a couple years ago to upstate NY (not fun), but I still love Pgh and shun all those who say bad things about it

7. Kathy
    December 11, 2007 1:08 pm

There is something about Pittsburgh that gets in your blood. I have had to unfortunately relocate (to Cleveland no less) but everywhere I have lived, my heart has stayed in the ‘burgh. My husband who isn’t from Pgh, thinks we are all weird for our intense loyalty to this region and sports teams. Any time I see someone in Steelers gear around here we can strike up a conversation about home and we are like a big family. I have traveled a lot and this Pittsburgh love is something unique to our hometown. I treasure that and love to hear that even celebrities who are living in what some consider paradise, still love this town. Anyone ever notice that Dan Marino can’t help showing preference to the Steelers, although he tries to hide it?

8. Pingback: Best Books of the 20th Century: Fiction » Blog Archive » Pittsburgh rocks, you know.

9. Pingback: Frequently Challenged Books » Blog Archive » Pittsburgh rocks, you know.

10. Guy Hogan
    December 11, 2007 1:20 pm

I read the article in the PPG about Pittsburgh making the list for this and for that. It’s nice to know that a lot of people may want to check out the city because of these lists but we already live here.

11. PittinDC
    December 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Thanks for the fun fact about the golf courses in Pittsburgh.. maybe now I can convince my boyfriend that he should move back to Pittsburgh with me!

12. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    December 11, 2007 2:09 pm

I relocated to Portland, Oregon a few years ago and Portland made last year’s list. This ranking will bring in a lot of out-of-state visitors, but it will also pull in foreign travelers. I don’t know how many folks I ran into at the neighborhood bar this summer from some foreign country who had their Froemers guide in hand. This was a bright spot of news after Sunday’s Steelers’ loss. I need a pirogi.

13. Pingback: ohio history

14. Pingback: Golfing Facts - Improve your game! » Blog Archive » Pittsburgh rocks, you know.

15. PittCheMBA
    December 11, 2007 6:38 pm

#1. Supremely engineered bridges? They really meant to say rusting bridges that miraculously have not crumbled.