- December 12, 2007
- filed under David Conrad, Downtown happenings, Eye rolls, Local media, The Damn Pigeons, Yarone Zober
1. A sign I noticed as I approached Oakland via the Boulevard of the Allies immediately after my SUV hit a pothole so big that it would have swallowed a Chevy Aveo whole and still had room left over for a Geo Metro:
This is a State Maintained Road
THANK YOU, ED RENDELL!
2. You now have 22 days to get your PittGirl Says Drink shirt (now available in XXXL) before they’re taken off the WearPittsburgh site. Have you bought your shirt yet? Why haven’t you sent me a picture of you wearing it yet? And if you’re David Conrad, why haven’t you sent me a picture of you wearing it while running an ice cube tantalizingly down your neck? What’s wrong with you people?!
Also? I’d sell my soul to Bill Belichick for a picture of Yarone Zober wearing the shirt.
3. If you’re a filmmaker, and I know that some of you are because you’ve told me you are, you might be interested in this little project called “Pittsburgh Neighborhood Narratives.”
4. Librarian Bridget let me know of a book for children that I need to be aware of called Wringer, as in SANTA WANTS YOU TO WRING THAT PIGEON NECK GOOD! The summary:
Palmer LaRue is not looking forward to the day he turns 10. His town has an annual Pigeon Day. When a boy turns 10 in this town, they become “wringers” and strangle the pigeons wounded during the annual pigeon shoot. He must either accept this task or find the courage to say no. His buddies soon discover Palmer is hiding a pet pigeon in his room.
The topics listed are courage, peer pressure, pigeons, and violence.
I agree, it takes great courage on my part to encourage my peers to be violent to pigeons. Yay, me!
5. Speaking of pigeons, reader Amanda sent me this picture of a Victoria Crowned Pigeon from the Aviary on the North Side … er, Shore. Whatever.
So it’s got some fancy feathers on its head. It is still a pigeon. It still poops. It still brings down bridges. You can stick a feather in a pile of cow poop and it is still a pile of cow poop, y’all (also h/t to reader RJD).
6. In case you weren’t aware, Schwenneker is heading to Chicago and taking his awesomeness with him. (h/t Jaime)
7. If you’ve ever wondered what Anthony’s basement looks like, he’s taking you on a photographic tour. Please pay special note to the fact that he bought the house knowing there was a dead pigeon in it. I can’t decide if I was thinking of buying a house and found a dead pigeon in it, would I flee from the house or would I buy it on the spot because: this house kills pigeons all by itself!? (also h/t to Robert)