Random n@.

1. Steelers post coming later this afternoon. Sit tight, kiddies. Sit tight.

2. The PittGirl shirt is now available in a black and gold men’s long-sleeved tee, as well as some sweatshirt hoodies.

You have 18 days to purchase your shirt before they’re gone forever and ever, amen.

3. Do you all remember “that which we don’t speak of“? Yeah, Benny was at it again as reported in the Saturday’s PG, except now it’s his shoulder “that we don’t speak of.”

“You’ll have to ask coach [Mike] Tomlin on that one,” Roethlisberger said when asked if his shoulder was still sore.

Roethlisberger was asked several times about the specifics of his injury, including whether he was able to throw deep passes at practice and each time he answered, “I don’t know, you’ll have to ask coach Tomlin on that.”

He didn’t know if his shoulder was sore and he didn’t know if he was able to throw deep passes at practice?

Was all of this secrecy some ploy to keep the Jags guessing as to whether or not Benny would play, hoping the element of surprise would have the Jags running around like pigeons with their heads ripped off? Yeah. That worked.

4. Oh, what can I say about this article about a woman that brought her husband’s ashes to the Steelers game? Nothing that won’t make me cry on my keyboard. Go read it. And this video here will make you bawl like a baby. Then again, I might just be PMSing.

5. One of the owners of the local Barsmart.com has designed a poster for bar/restaurant owners who might be a little pissed about the drink tax.  Check it out.  (h/t Curt O)

Speaking of liquor, have you ever wondered about how much the PLCB sucks?

In Pennsylvania, all liquor license holders must purchase wine and spirits from the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board.

The PLCB charges a 30 percent markup; a “bottle charge” of $1.25 per bottle; a round-up to the nearest 9 cents ($21.82 becomes $21.89); an 18 percent “Johnstown flood tax” that was enacted in 1936 to rebuild that city but has remained in effect ever since; and the 7 percent sales tax in Allegheny County.

Let me quantify it for you.  They suck a whole lot.

Beyond the 30% markup … round up to the nearest 9 cents (who pulled that number out of their ass?) and add 18 percent from a tax that was instituted back in 1936?  Are we still rebuilding Johnstown?  Wow.  Sure sounds like somebody’s getting paid by the hour on that job.

(h/t April)

1. curtO
    December 17, 2007 1:28 pm

You are superfast PittGirl. I just sent that BarSmart.com link to you this morning…here I was thinking I would be in the Thursday afternoon edition…but nope, first run of Monday…

2. plexxer
    December 17, 2007 2:10 pm

I would vote, hands-down for ANY politician that ran on a platform that included dissolving the PLCB and let free enterprise back into our liquor sales. This is an institution that runs ads in the Post Gazette and is investing millions of dollars in “updating their image.” Who the hell are they competing with?

3. joey
    December 17, 2007 2:37 pm

Its not the PLCB that sucks….its the politicians that won’t dissolve the PLCB and privatize the alchohol industry…because they are making so much money off that pig.

4. Burghthing
    December 17, 2007 3:26 pm

It would be very interesting if someone in the media were to dig deep and find out exactly where that Johnstown Tax money is going. But who am I kidding, no one in the media cares about anything except making sure Luke looks good.

5. Zsa
    December 17, 2007 3:27 pm

That Steeler story was indeed a tearjerker.

Re the Johnstown flood tax, I don’t know when the last time is any of yinz have been there…but it sure as hell isn’t benefiting Johnstown. I’m guessing John Murtha is behind this just because he’s such a pork enabling baked potato looking cheese dick.

December 17, 2007 3:46 pm

The politicians are in bed with the state employees’ unions and the bar-owner lobbyists on your LCB, a three-headed monster that will be nearly impossible to slay. Look at all the negotiating that had to take place just to allow the case distributors to open a few hours on Sundays.

Every citizen thinks his state is the worst run, and by God West Virginia has more than its own share of boneheaded laws and politicians. But I have to hand it to Pennsylvania. With the possible exception of Louisiana, with which I have no direct experience, you have the most f***ed-up government in the nation. It’s just flat-out weird that Pa. will point to W.Va. and say “See? We have to have slot machines too” but you won’t point to W.Va. and say “See? It doesn’t hurt THEM to allow convenience and grocery stores to sell beer and liquor.”

7. jason
    December 17, 2007 3:50 pm

Pennsylvania just sucks in many ways. While they are figuring out where the “flood tax” money is going, they should do a shakeup of PA DOT, top to bottom. its scary what we may find.

8. John
    December 17, 2007 4:54 pm

Hold it. We’re still paying for the Johnstown flood? As if the PLCB didn’t suck outloud as it is…

9. Eileen
    December 17, 2007 5:00 pm

We still have “State Stores” in PA because the cashiers make approx $40,000. per year (great money for unskilled labor) plus all the benefits and paid holidays other state emplyees enjoy. Believe me, they aren’t going down without a serious fight.

10. Bill
    December 17, 2007 6:33 pm

“There is nothing so permanent as a temporary tax!!”

11. scottie
    December 17, 2007 7:05 pm

I wonder how much money I would save if I drove my ass across the border once a month and picked up my booze there. I know I was able to buy twice the whiskey in canada for my money, but what’re the taxes like in West Virginie and Ohia?

12. scottie
    December 17, 2007 7:06 pm

Oh, and it would be cool if someone would start some sort of underground railroad operation for liquor. Not that i would do such a thing, or know anyone who would do such a thing. Just Sayin’…

December 17, 2007 7:26 pm

PA is the last state in the union where one cannot purchase alcohol in a supermarket (in an INTEGRATED way — not next door to an gian-iggle) or in a convenience store — and where you have to buy beer in cases at the distributorship and if you want a six, you gotta find a restaurant that sells them that way and, hopefully, for a beer that you actually like.

talk about bassackwards….

one of the columists (sally kalson?) wrote over the weekend on the PG site about how we are rated #1 in this and that and we pittsburghers complain about it. well, honey, this would be a reason — plus, some of the others mentioned above — not to mention the weather…

even with all of this, I do love pittsburgh — but, why did I move back here again?

14. Gunn Lino
    December 17, 2007 10:09 pm

I’m currently visiting relatives in CA for the hoildays, when I return to the ‘Burgh guess what, that’s right six cases of wine from Trader Joes, and several other items from other places, suck my fatty PLCB.

15. In Sewickley
    December 18, 2007 12:37 am

What! Black and gold shirts now? God and I just bought shirts the other day. lol. You’re killing me!

December 18, 2007 8:46 am

Scottie, I don’t think you’d save much. I live more or less on the W.Va./Pa. border and keep a pretty close eye on prices and there’s seldom enough of a difference to make crossing the line worth it. I DO cross the line to buy high-test beer, because West Virginia has a 6.0 rule, which is stupid, but if it didn’t have that rule there’d be nothing wrong with the state’s beer laws, and we can’t have that.

17. Scottie
    December 18, 2007 10:34 am

bucdaddy: damn… however, i think it would prove a point to not give my money to the PALCB.

18. Kat
    December 18, 2007 1:24 pm

When I first moved to da ‘Burgh, it took me a while to figure out how, exactly, to buy booze. It was kind of shocking to realize that one couldn’t just pick up a 12-pack while one was grocery shopping. And then people would say, ‘no, you have to buy 2 6-packs at a bar’ and roll their eyes at me as if that was the most logical way to do things. That still confuses me. Do all bars sell 6 packs?

19. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    December 18, 2007 6:35 pm

You cannot buy beer, wine or alcohol at the supermarket or convenience stores in Utah. In addition, you cannot buy liquor at these places in Oregon. Oregon has “state” stores for liquor sales, and Utah has some very restrictive rules for the sale of alcohol. Also, a lot of the states that do allow single bottle sales or grocery store sales also have a bottle deposit law, which in effect takes the place of the tax. In Oregon, tack 30 cents onto every six-pack. Sure, you get it back when you return the empty bottle or can, but most people (and most restaurants and bars) don’t even bother.

In addition to the power of the unions in relation to the LCB, one reason there’s been no serious push to eliminate the LCB is because most of the revenues collected by the LCB go into the state’s general fund, which in turn keeps state income taxes lower than many states. The state income tax in Oregon is over 9% compared to just over 3% in PA. Also, the real issue seems to be one of convenience and PA is making strides in that direction. I know they are coming slowly, but the past few years have led to Sunday sales, expanded access and more selection. There is more movement to the state store for liquor/wine within a grocery store (Arizona sells liquor this way). Being able to buy less than a case of beer and able to buy at the grocery store is coming. The beer distributors lobby, restaurant lobby and the brewers lobby are the one’s holding that back, but there are ways to address their concerns and my understanding is progress is also being made on that front, too.

20. Pingback: Day Free Louisiana Tax