Random n@.

1. Happy New Year and welcome back on this frigid, snowy snowy morning!

My Christmas included all of the following:

• My first Wii injury acquired when I got my ass beat at Wii Tennis by my brother-in-law. Swinging and swinging with absolutely no resistance on your imaginary racket will eventually have your shoulder tendons be all, “Hey! Whoa! This is my stop, yo.”
  • Airport hell in Atlanta, both ways.
  • So much food that I’m pretty sure I gained about seven pounds.
  • Three of those seven pounds were surely gained on Sonic runs.
  • Three trips for coffee at Yahooz. This place rocks. The people that work in those little shacks are quite the characters. I’m pretty sure we were waited on by an elf on crack during one stop. I wonder if we can get them to open one in Pittsburgh with a hard hat on top.

2. I honestly didn’t watch much of the Steelers game on Sunday. I caught bits of it here and there as I unpacked and cleaned the place up from the chaos of coming home from the airport and just throwing luggage where there was space to throw luggage. I think I injured my dog. He’ll live. I’ll know more once I find him.

3. The Geico caveman is apparently from the Burgh and he’s looking for someone with whom to send his motor home a-rockin’ and a woman who is willing to effort because he loves a woman that knows all about “efforting”.

Is it just me, or does that last picture kind of look like what might be the last thing a woman sees right before he disembowels her? Oh, screw it. ANY Of those pictures might be the last thing she sees.

4. Two more days to get your PittGirl Says Drink shirt.

5. The way my family and I carried on when Sidney Crosby flicked that puck between the goalie’s legs in the shootout to end yesterday’s Winter Classic in Buffalo, you’d have thought the Pens won the Cup.

Also, someone might want to tell Mario Lemieux that I’m pretty sure he’s wearing a girl’s hat.

Check out the Trib’s photo gallery of the event.

6. PittGirl is in. Pigeons are out.

If only they included a picture of a rifle-wielding PittGirl about to shoot a pigeon in the head at point blank range, or at the very least, ripping its wings off. Ahh. That just warmed me up all nice and toasty.

[raises fist]

Death to pigeons.

(h/t to everybody that emailed me about it)

1. Dan
    January 2, 2008 8:56 am

Happy 2008 PittGirl! Welcome back!

2. Pingback: Random n@.

3. Bulldog
    January 2, 2008 9:25 am

Welcome back PG and Happy New Year.

4. NY Luvs Pitts
    January 2, 2008 9:28 am

You’re Back!!! Happy New Year PG!!!!

January 2, 2008 9:52 am

yes, the shootout was SWEET! I might be nuts, but we need to have one of these games in heinz field.

while it seemed that keeping the ice icy was an issue during the game and the delays to watch the zamboni go around countless times, it was still pretty cool to watch.

I wonder if this will get hockey back into more of the spotlight that it richly deserves that it lost with the lockout. my guess, sadly, is “no” — but, it’s a step in the right direction.

6. LMax
    January 2, 2008 11:03 am

Welcome back!!!!! I’ve been going through withdrawal. Hubby got me a PittGirl shirt for Christmas, so as soon as I can squeeze my knockers into it (since it’s made for A cups… what the heck!) I’ll sport it around the burg. Hope to make you proud!

7. Pensgirl
    January 2, 2008 12:03 pm

unsatisfied:

You are not nuts. And yes, the game was terrific. I spent the whole time wishing I was there. Ryan Miller (that would be the Sabres’ goalie) played great, but you knew Sid wouldn’t disappoint on such a big stage.

I thought Mario looked very penguinlike in his hat and coat.

8. Sooska
    January 2, 2008 12:05 pm

Happy New Year PittGirl! A few things: 1) I am waiting for my shirt to arrive-I don’t like waiting. 2) If #3 Geico caveman wants a woman who wears very little makeup can we get a man with no hair, facial or otherwise? top of head and eyebrows only? gag. 3) The Ice Bowl (and Sid) was fantastic. PensFamily loved it. The ice would be better than the turf at Heinz Field, if the Steelers wouldn’t charge the price of a new contract for Sid to use it.

9. Pingback: Bookmarks Tagged Random

10. Gretchen
    January 2, 2008 12:41 pm

#3 – How does someone “effort” something? This dude wants “a woman who is capable of at least efforting to learn how to survive in life by doing some physical labor of her own self.”

I’m now efforting to forget I ever read that ad.

11. Pensgirl
    January 2, 2008 12:45 pm

Gretchen, if I recall correctly I first heard “effort” used as a verb in KDKA broadcasts. I’d really hoped that had died off by now.

12. Megan
    January 2, 2008 12:55 pm

Good to see your return! Atlanta airport sucks all the time . . . esp when I lived there for 7yrs . . . some great people watching tho!

13. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    January 2, 2008 2:00 pm

Welcome back and Happy New Year!! I just ordered a second shirt, because as LMax noted, the sizes did not suggest that if you have any sort of boobage, you should order up a size or so (no worries, though, just gave the first shirt to my sister). I also want to thank you, no, better yet, PRAISE you for all of your infinite wisdmom and guidance. Having been raised in Pittsburgh, I had never had the opportunity to experience Sonic. In addition, they are not all over the place here in Oregon, either. The other day I saw one so I stopped and ordered some food and a limeade…OMG!!! Now I stop on the way to work and the way home from work. Thank you PittGirl!!!! Loved the Ice Bowl, although having to get up at 10:00 a.m. for the start on the West Coast after being out most of New Year’s Eve and only having about four hours of sleep was difficult.

14. MoreRoth,LessBurger
    January 2, 2008 2:57 pm

PittGirl,

I don’t mean to induce nightmares, but doesn’t the Caveman dude look like some mad scientist took Troysus’ DNA and mixed it all up and created some horribly gone wrong thing???? The Anti-Troysus, perhaps?

That is one righteously spooky dude. No offense to that douchetard columnist from the more recent post…..

15. suz
    January 2, 2008 3:29 pm

Who wants to be the one to tell The Big Guy that his hat looks like a …er…um. Allright, no fair making fun of his hat. His touque. His….whatever. For everything that he has done for the Penguins and for this city, he can wear a cap with fruit on it and look like Carmen freakin’ Miranda for all that I care, but he gets a free pass on snarky comments on the attire. You got that?

And notice how he stayed OUT of the spotlight on game day? He’s a class act.

16. Jonesin' for Pittgurl
    January 2, 2008 3:52 pm

I recently quit smoking and can I just say that it was easier to go a week without cigarettes than a week without Pittgurl? Welcome back!! And speaking of smoking, if the Geico caveman is “not drug friendly,” then why does he have a joint hanging out of his mouth in picture # 3?

17. Rollo
    January 2, 2008 4:08 pm

I was at the game and let me tell you Sabres fans had us outnumbered 3-1. In my particular section we were the only ones in Pens colors for about 4 rows….and those people are ROWDY, which is to be expected after you lose four super bowls in a row.

As soon as it got to Crosby in the shootout, the four of us started an “M-V-P! M-V-P!” chant and continued it for a good 2-3 minutes after the goal. There was NO doubt when it got to him that he was going to score, even they knew it.

18. DW
    January 2, 2008 4:30 pm

I was there, too, and it was a ton of fun. My section was pretty Pens oriented, so I was lucky. Crowd was unreal and loud! We watched the Sabre fans pelt the Pens bus w/ snowballs…then ducked a few thrown at us!

19. NoSide15212
    January 2, 2008 5:40 pm

Yeh, the Sabres fans were a little out of control. I’ve seen the worst out of YinzerNation on Browns football Sunday and I’ve been on the receiving end of the worst that Cleveland fans had to offer while in my Steeler jersey –nothing compared to the vulgar, ignorant Sabres fans. Young, old, men, women …pretty tough crowd. Nothing couldn’t ruin the good time, though. Walking through the portals to view the field/ice for the first time, with the snow falling and 71,000 screaming fans was indescribable. We must host one at Heinz.

20. scottie
    January 2, 2008 6:07 pm

Geico guy kinda looks like one of Hall & Oates (was it oates?) knocked up some unsuspecting river-rat from the Rocks…

21. Burghthing
    January 2, 2008 8:22 pm

It seems the Sabre fans only know 2 words, “fag” and “gay”. But you can’t hate them too much, after all, they have to live there.

Welcome back PG and Happy New Years!!!

22. Still A Fan
    January 2, 2008 8:58 pm

#3 if you are ever outed, he’s at your door on day 2

sleep with THAT on your mind

23. Woy
    January 2, 2008 11:20 pm

LMax: We can get you an exchange for your shirt if it is too small!

Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl: We could have gotten you an exchange on your shirt if it was too small! Not that I’m complaining that you gifted it and bought another one. :)