Random n@

1. I will not complain about the cold. I will not complain about the cold. I will not complain about the frickin’ witch’s tit-freezing cold.

2. You have until midnight to get your limited edition PittGirl Says Drink shirt. Then they’re gone forever and ever amen. Also, Woy says if you bought a shirt and it doesn’t fit, you can exchange it. Apparently some of the big-breasted girls (Boys? Boys?!? Snap out of it!) are having trouble with the fit on some of them. Use this contact form.

3. The Onorato Tax of 10 percent on poured drinks (which really mean every single alcoholic drink whether it is poured or not) is now being levied. Some restaurants, such as Mad Mex, actually print the tax right on your receipt so that you can see how much more you were charged thanks to Danny O. And they call it The Onorato Tax. I know other restaurants are planning to do it as well. That is awesome. (h/t Kelly Top)

4. Try your hand at pigeon killing so that when I’m mayor and I institute Pigeon-Shooting Lunch Hours, you’ll be all practiced up. I killed them all in 11.06 seconds. Also, try not to cackle too loudly as you watch the pink corpses fall to the ground. You don’t want your boss hearing that coming from your office.

Unless you’re a lawyer, then your boss totally wants to hear evil cackling coming from your office.

Try the veal. I’m here all week.

(h/t BIGGEORGE)

5. Best way to pick up girls? Treat them like pigeons! Hilarious (h/t Mike in Baltimore)

6. Two Canadians tried to bring pigeons to the US from Canada.

Inspectors found the pigeons wrapped and taped from neck to tail in pockets of the pair’s coats after they asked the men from Uxbridge, Ontario, to remove their jackets.

At first I was all pissed at these men for bringing MORE pigeons into the country. Like we need more. But then I read the part about wrapping pigeons and taping them from the neck down and I got a genius pigeon-torture idea and forgot all about my anger.

My experiment, by the way, has confirmed that wrapping and taping a pigeon from the beak to the tail pisses them off to no end.

(h/t Goob)

7. Dom over at ineedtwo.com wrote:

Just wanted to thank you and your readers for the business this year. Many of them attended games at a very reasonable price.

This week is no different.

Tickets start at $74. (They’ll be cheaper on Thursday.) Not bad considering face value for Steelers playoff tickets is between $90-$115 each.

Today is Thursday, so go check it out if you’re wanting to see the game in person. There’s a few pairs available for less than $60 each (at this writing).

Tell him PittGirl sent you and that she’s watching the game from the warmth of her mother’s house.

8. Reader Zach wrote:

I am guessing you watched the winter classic… how sweet was the Sid the Kid shootout?

I was wondering if you watched any of the pregame? They sang the Canada anthem … and then when it was time to sing the Star Spangled Banner they sang God Bless America. NOT our national anthem (as good as it may be). I was just wondering if you had thoughts on that.

Anyone that was there that can confirm that? Because, yeah, that IS odd.

9. Have you visited lukeravenstahl.com lately?

(h/t Bram)

1. Stephanique1
    January 3, 2008 11:03 am

Yes, our National Anthem was not sung. Here is some ameteur footage.

2. Denise
    January 3, 2008 11:38 am

I was there…the national anthem was not sung. WTF? They sing O Canada before a game with 2 American teams in New York, and fail to sing the Star Spangled Banner?

Perhaps Gary Bettman is such a moron that he thinks God Bless America is the National Anthem. Either way, the NHL is run by a bunch of idiots.

3. NY Luvs Pitts
    January 3, 2008 12:37 pm

7. Hey PG, I’m black!!! You know I can’t afford that!!! Besides, who can stand all that country music they play at dem football stadium!!! lol :)

4. Danielle
    January 3, 2008 1:30 pm

Yes, I though the no anthem thing was odd, too. Wasn’t there a push some years back to replace the National Anthem with “God Bless America”? Or was that “America the Beautiful”?

Did anyone else hear the announcer say during the post-game celebration (paraphrasing): “And there they are, celebrating, thinking back to the outdoor games they played as children twenty years ago.” WTF? 20 years? What were they, negative two?

5. jenn
    January 3, 2008 1:44 pm

The Canadian National Anthem is sung because the NHL was created in Canada. Also, the majority of players are Canadian (like your boy Sidney – who, by the way, is only 20). It’s quite common to play “Oh, Canada” at the games.

6. LMax
    January 3, 2008 2:45 pm

…yeah, and it’s also quite common to sing the Star Spangled Banner. I have no problem with O Canada… as long as I hear OUR anthem, too.

Anyone sing the Chinese national anthem when they play with all of their toys that were created in China?

7. NoSide15212
    January 3, 2008 3:11 pm

National Anthem was not sung, in favor of God Bless America which is Irish Tenor Ronan Tynan’s (the gentleman who performed it) signature song. Tynan has performed it for countless Sabre’s games in the past so it’s sort of a Buffalo tradition as well. (Tynan also whipped some “Amazing Grace” ass at Ronald Reagan’s funeral). As for the Canadian National Anthem –it is performed at every NHL game where there is a Canadian team playing, as is the American National Anthem when there is an American team playing. The Buffalo Sabres have the Canadian anthem performed at every game, regardless of whether a Canadian team is skating, in deference to their strong following of Canadian fans just over the border. Personally, I don’t mind that our anthem wasn’t sung; the sentiment is what counts. Tynan does (and did) an amazing job with God Bless America and I think it expresses the sentiment every bit as well. Tear drops were falling in my nearly frozen beer…and then the helicopters flew over and I lost. my. @#it.

8. DW
    January 3, 2008 4:36 pm

Roman Tynan did a great job but we all found it odd, too, that they didn’t do the anthem. But before we could really think about it, the helicopters came over and rattled our brains.

It was awesome.

DW-

9. Brainlint
    January 3, 2008 6:25 pm

HA!!!! Love ‘Lukey’s’ website :O

January 3, 2008 7:05 pm

I didn’t mind ronan singing ATB instead of the anthem. the anthem, as much as it means to everyone, ain’t the easiest to sing and I actually think that ATB is a better tune.

anyhoo — I thought ronan’s little speech before he sang it was interesting — I could’t hear everything he said, but I’d swear he said something to the effect of, “our troops over in afghanistan are the bravest ever!”

immediately, I thought, “well, wtf about our troops in the IRAQ? (and everywhere else, for that matter!)”

maybe I missed it….

11. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    January 3, 2008 7:35 pm

I was surprised they didn’t sing the US anthem as well. I also think a few players were, too, because when NBC panned the Penguins bench during God Bless America, I swear the looks on some of the faces of the American born players were priceless and I think I did see a WTF mouthed by one of them. After all of the crap the Steelers got for not playing the anthem before the Miami game (a decision that was made by the NFL and ESPN and NOT the Steelers), I was really surprised it was not sung or played.

12. chrys
    January 3, 2008 10:15 pm

I thought I had missed hearing the anthem.. I did hear Roman Tynan singing tho..

I love the Lukey website… very fitting.

13. Pensgirl
    January 3, 2008 11:01 pm

NoSide has the explanation on all of it.

Personally, I’m all for having the Canadian anthem at every game regardless of whether a Canadian team is playing. They came up with the sport, and they have a beautiful anthem.

Wasn’t crazy about GBA being sung but I get the reasons behind it. I’d prefer “America the Beautiful” because in my estimation that SHOULD be the anthem. But none of it was done out of ignorance. Perhaps when Tynan was announced it could have been explained why they were having him sing GBA (if they did that I missed it), but we put way too much importance on sports if we care that much about anthems being sung before them. This hockey game was NOT about American patriotism. That’s what the Olympics (and tomorrow’s World Juniors game against Canada) are for.

January 3, 2008 11:52 pm