Random n@.

1. I didn’t wear a coat today. It is January. HOLLA!

2. Catherine Specter of Cat’s Call at the PG has a new smoky-eyed come hither head shot:

Also, from today’s column:

DEAR CAT: For eight months I dated a 37-year-old East Indian who was brilliant (have you ever heard of an unmarried 37-year-old East Indian?). He claimed to be attracted to white women and only white women. We had a highly sexual relationship with his saying very sweet things that indicated he was committed to us. I wanted to move our relationship out of the bedroom and into the real world, and he promised to do that. But he’d continually cancel our plans, and this pattern made me miss other opportunities as I sat and waited for him. He did this with every activity other than sleeping together. I would grin and take it because his job kept him “so busy.” I finally left him a voice-mail saying it was better to end it before I started to hate him more than I already did, and that when you treat people as badly as he treated me, that kind of karma comes back at you one day. Afterward I felt bad and called to apologize. He was sweet but the next morning I got a “farewell” e-mail where he explained that our affair wasn’t fair to me. I haven’t heard a word since then. I feel like it was my fault for flipping out on him. Yet I believe he’s done this to many women. How stupid am I? — TOTAL IDIOT & HORRIBLE PERSON?

Am I the only girl out there that read that letter and knew for certain that the dude was a MARRIED MAN?!

3. WearPittsburgh has a great new Squirrel Hill design. Check it out.

4. A Jacksonville news anchor wrote about her journey to Pittsburgh for the recent Steelers debacle.

And lucky for your kids who might want to read it, she writes at a third-grade level. “I went to Pittsburgh. It is a city in the United States. It is cold in Pittsburgh. I went to a football game. It was fun.”

5. Holy crap. Why just kill your girlfriend, when you can kill her, grill her, and possibly eat her. Lock up your daughters. The crazies. They are out there. (h/t ShaSha)

6. Reader Vince wrote:

Just wondering- Why does it take seemingly 5 years to get the Pittsburgh casino awarded, built and opened, years to get any sort of smoking ban enacted in this County (which still hasn’t been passed), years to get any type of property tax relief, yet it takes like a month to get a 10% drink tax passed and implemented?

Excellent observation.

7.   I … um … ‘scuse me.

(h/t Nate C.)

8.   Can we train unemployed youths to sterilize pigeons?  Brilliant!

(h/t KC)

9.  Damn gurl!

(h/t M)

1. Adios el-Kabong
    January 8, 2008 10:08 am

Speaking of great tshirts (and as a purchaser of two PittGirl Tshirts, one of which was a much loved gift to my fiancee), check this one out: http://www.penguinsvault.com/ from the great Mike Lange.

Everyone buy one. Now.

2. Gunn Lino
    January 8, 2008 10:18 am

It’s obivious Ms Fine’ is a product of Pittsburgh Public Schools.

3. spoon
    January 8, 2008 10:24 am

“yet it takes like a month to get a 10% drink tax passed and implemented?”

Ask the pure evil that is Danny Onorato on why this is.

4. Kat
    January 8, 2008 10:30 am

2. It’s a new shot, and yet she’s still sporting the dumb-ass beret. I don’t think I could take advice from someone with such poor taste in headgear.

5. Pensgirl
    January 8, 2008 10:36 am

2. No, you are not the only one. He’s totally married.

4. Was that her first experience with football? Some Steeler fans are nice, while others are obnoxious. Home crowds cheer to drown out the opposition, but fall silent if they lose. Wow.

7. Oh, Lord, when I first saw that I really hoped for his sake that nobody would notice it (and I wished for mine that I hadn’t either). It’s just not right.

6. Mean Gene
    January 8, 2008 10:59 am

I was going to say that no editor in his right mind would’ve every allowed that Jax anchorperson to post such childish prose. But then I read the writer’s bio–and other reporters’ bios–and found the entire site is written like that. Very simple sentences. Very short sentences. Nothing that could confuse you. Nothing that could make you lose your way. Nothing interesting or witty, heavens no.

7. wshicldtel
    January 8, 2008 11:24 am

Oh my……….:-) Sid!

8. Me
    January 8, 2008 11:30 am

2. Oh, yeah, married.

4. Wow. She’s anchor. Someone else must write her copy.

7. Need. Cold. Shower. Sid’s not much of kid anymore…

9. Judge Rufus Peckham
    January 8, 2008 11:51 am

PittGirl, wshicldtel and “Me”:

For the sake of your immortal souls, stop looking at #7 immediately. What formerly was a blog for light-hearted local insight and gossip has become little more than a near-occasion of sin. It’s getting to the point that when I click on The Burgh Blog, I need to encase my computer monitor in a plastic wrapper, akin to the nudie magazines I am advised some establishments peddle. I’d suggest that PittGirl, or is it CaligulaGirl? exercise greater restraint in posting such provocative photos.

10. pittgirl
    January 8, 2008 11:54 am

Me thinks the Judge is feeling inferior.

11. Sofa King
    January 8, 2008 12:12 pm

I’m not surprised that was written by a Jacksonville news anchor. I’m pretty sure down there, 6th grade is called “college” and actually going into high school is called “pursuing an advanced degree.”

Seriously, it may be the worst city in the country.

12. Judge Rufus Peckham
    January 8, 2008 12:27 pm

Inferior — to some Canadian punk kid? You’ve got to be kidding! Besides, who’s been giving you this information about me?

13. merman
    January 8, 2008 1:34 pm

Dee Thompson strikes again.

14. Brian
    January 8, 2008 2:54 pm

2. Is Cat’s eye makeup applied via a Sharpie marker? Holy crap.

15. Eileen
    January 8, 2008 3:27 pm

5. Maybe he was planning on feeding her to police and “chickened” out, so to speak. Sort of like the movie “Fried Green Tomatoes” when Idgie and Ruth fed the police Frank after Sipsy killed him.
    As for 2. How stupid are you? STUPID.

16. Bram R
    January 8, 2008 3:39 pm

Good work, your honor. Way to join the Thought Police.

January 8, 2008 3:42 pm

I’m still working on why, when governments inevitably want more of our money, they come after smokers and drinkers but the fools who play the lottery are still paying $1 for a scratch-off after like 100 years.

18. lolo
    January 8, 2008 3:46 pm

4. Ms. Feh-NAY needs some help with sentence structure. She must have been permanently scarred by the misuse of “and”, “or” and “but” during 9th grade English Composition. Her article hurt my head, yet I managed to read the entire thing.

The fans got louder when the Steelers scored during the 4th Qtr? DO YOU THINK?!?!

Gah!!!!!!

19. chrys
    January 8, 2008 3:59 pm

2. MARRIED!!! poor stupid girl..

4. idiot

5. Do you think it was a Texas-style bar-b-q? Sorry.. bad taste.

20. Judge Rufus Peckham
    January 8, 2008 5:36 pm

“Thought police,” Bram? I’m worried about their souls and you’re talking political correctness! Wow!

21. Still A Fan
    January 8, 2008 6:01 pm

#4 she is not good. lame, i say. i say lame. yes she is.

22. PittCheMBA
    January 8, 2008 10:04 pm

#2 – Love Cat’s racoon eyes!

23. Melissa
    January 9, 2008 12:20 am

Totally agree w/ your #4 point Pens girl!

Feel bad for the Cat’s Call girl, but most of us have had that one person in our lives that made us “blind” to the obvious:) Hopefully she is moving on.

24. DispatcherfromHell
    January 9, 2008 2:58 am

2. Um, yeah. Married. Girlfriend needs to wake up.

4. I need to find out what school this idiot attended, and make sure that I never send my children there!! Good God, that was terrible.

7. Humina humina humina

25. Jenn
    January 9, 2008 1:56 pm

3. Yeah, that was pretty lame. The Blog Readability Test says it’s “junior high level” and that’s what my own blog is rated, which now makes me feel pretty sad and dumb.

7. I had told my bff that girls were going to go crazy for that and look!

Even though I’m going to work in the NHL one day (and I’m serious) and shouldn’t be thinking such thoughts, I have no shame in being a female and saying that Sid is gorgeous.

26. justretiredguy
    January 9, 2008 2:45 pm

OK, you all know that is a cup he’s wearing, not a banana hammock, right? That is padding, not stuffing.

27. Judge Rufus Peckham
    January 9, 2008 4:07 pm

justretiredguy, you’ve hit the nail on the head to explain the misunderstanding here among the female readers. Let’s be honest: if it weren’t Sid the Hockey Star Kid, but some nobody showing off his cup, the women would all be “grossed out” by the “pervert,” saying they have no desire to see that.

28. BBM
    January 9, 2008 4:15 pm

Ahh, Judge, but it is Sid. He could wear a tacky 80’s prom dress, a banana hammock, or nothing at all and we would all still be happy.

29. Judge Rufus Peckham
    January 9, 2008 5:27 pm

But, ahh, BBM, the female readers are reacting to the young man’s CROTCH, the whole crotch, and nothing but the crotch. Put aside the blatant sexism of some of the comments, with all due respect, if Sidney were wearing a tacky ’80’s prom dress, it is clear beyond even a cavil that the women would be saying things such as this: “Ugh! WTF? Not. Good.” (Note the use of periods after single words, which suggests the writer is really clever.) Sorry, it’s the crotch shot that is intriguing those readers.

January 9, 2008 11:51 pm

of course, that reporter writes like that.

isn’t she a TV news anchor?

just watch local news in any city and it’s always short, choppy, 3rd grade sentences.

(but, in pittsburgh, it’s even worse when stories at the level of “a cat was stuck in a tree today in shadyside” gets the level of hysteria that a major disaster would receive.)

almost as disgusting as that dang drink tax I keep hearing about….

31. lynne
    January 10, 2008 1:36 pm

Judge – there’s also the pecs, the smile, the abs, the face….hell, everything!

32. Judge Rufus Peckham
    January 10, 2008 1:54 pm

Lynne, that’s fine. But the women commenting here were swooning over his crotch. No other interpretation is plausible.

33. Steve S.
    January 10, 2008 2:15 pm

I got to think that PG simply put #9 up there to provide some eye candy for the boys and try to distract the conversation from #7…I might be captain obvious but its not really working.

34. BBM
    January 10, 2008 5:16 pm

I don’t know, Judge. The crotch wasn’t the first thing I noticed about the photo. It was, however, the thing that left the most lasting impression.

35. Judge Rufus Peckham
    January 10, 2008 5:49 pm

BBM, that’s honesty! And I’ll add a plug for your blog here — very slick, neat blog, BBM. Glad I discovered it.

36. BBM
    January 10, 2008 9:11 pm

Thanks for the shout out, Judge, but I’m far too Mommy for the cool kids that hang out here. :-)