Random n@.

1. Good morning, Burghers. You love PittGirl, right? But if you’re like me, which is HUMAN, you secretly love it when otherwise popular people get scolded or criticized. Some might even say, “put in her place.”

So you’ll love the comments section to this post where not only are some great arguments made about the Hill agreement, but also PittGirl is scolded for not using my powers for good, for selling a shirt that promotes the drinking of alcoholic beverages, etc. At one point, I am actually compared to Paris Hilton.

[blinking furiously]

Oh, that smarts. Bitch-slapped by Dr. Goddess, have been I.

A friend of David Conrad’s even chimes in.

2. The PovertyNeck Hillbillies have split up, with four of the six members leaving the band, including Smoking Hot Burgher Abby Abbondanza. I like the Hillbillies, but honestly, I only know one song of theirs (Mr. Right Now), so I’m all very meh about this news. Although, this from founding member Chris Higbee:

“As with the impending end of any relationship, hurt feelings and frustration may prompt negative statements, rumors or speculation. As the owner of the PNH, I want our fans to know that I have managed the band with honesty and integrity – – it has truly been my life’s work.”

I’m not trying to start rumors or anything, but that sure seems like a preemptive strike against some future allegations of poor management of money, doesn’t it? We shall see.

3. Dear thieving assholes of the Burgh,

Hiya. Could you ask amongst yourselves and find the particular asshole that decided to steal a wheelchair from an eight-year-old with spina bifida, and then would you beat the shit out of that asshole, beat the shit out of yourselves while you’re at it, and then maybe give the kid his chair back?

Warmly,

PittGirl

4. Dear men of the Burgh,

Charlize Theron will be in the city next month to film “The Road” with Viggo Mortensen. Start planning now on how you can manage to meet that hot piece of …

Oh, wait. I’m a girl. I’m not supposed to objectify women like that.

Later,

PittGirl

5. Professor Pausch made it to his son’s sixth birthday and is expecting his current treatment to hold for two-four more months.

6. Yes, it makes perfect sense that Target and Macy’s have put away the sweaters and put out the bikinis and shorts. Why do you ask?

Shit.

1. Bram R
    January 16, 2008 10:25 am

“Oh, that smarts. Bitch-slapped by Dr. Goddess, have been I.”

That was nothing. I asked her to go easy on you since you’re actually her Fairy Blogmother, though only in the warped geneology in my head.

Although of course I agree with you about this being your freaking hobby, and am thrilled unto death you mentioned the subject matter at all, this part of her response stayed with me:

“I think I’m upset about the fact that (the collective) you get to choose whether or not you want to pay attention to this issue. You get to choose whether or not you will stay informed, let alone get involved.”

Something to think about, is all. I hope since this is all going down a little closer than Baghdad or New Orleans — and it is still a hopeful situation — a few more of us might take it upon ourselves to saddle up and get on our horses.

2. Bram R
    January 16, 2008 10:31 am

… and thank you for the image above, although when I clicked the link you provided, I was not expecting an EXTREME PORE-EXPLODING CLOSE UP of Aragorn, son of Arathorn, heir to Isildur.

3. pittgirl
    January 16, 2008 10:32 am

I know! It’s like, okay Post-Gazette, you’re writing an article about Viggo and Charlize and you choose THAT picture of Viggo to go with the story?!?!

WTF?

4. curtO.
    January 16, 2008 10:44 am

Very much WTF. Let’s get at least a split screen with half sexiness PPG.

5. Pensgirl
    January 16, 2008 10:57 am

While Dr. G did make some good points, I think it’s key that you had not posted about the issue because you felt uneducated about it. It may be valid to chastise someone for not taking the time to get educated about it, but by the same token I think it is smart not to post opinion on an issue if you feel underinformed – even if it is your own fault.

However, it seems that you have taken her criticism to heart, and I thought of couple of alternatives to staying silent that you could employ in such situations:

1) In cases where you’d like to know more than you do but don’t feel you have the time to actively seek sources, perhaps post a question to readers about where they have found good information, or

2) In cases where you feel someone (like Bram) is doing good work on the subject, pointing readers there.

Either way, you can address the existence of an important issue without having to be comfortably knowledgeable about it. While Dr. G was asking more of you than that, I suspect it would satisfy her to a certain extent that you were at least calling some attention to such issues if not waxing informed on them.

Of course, ultimately it is your blog and you can run it however you want. Personally, I visit because I like the overall light fare, and I turn to other places for the heavy stuff. But I do get the impression that Dr. G struck a chord with you, and so I figured it was worth sharing ideas about how you could meet her halfway.

6. Dan (Not Onarato)
    January 16, 2008 11:16 am

Heck…Im afraid to even post anything after all that…

Im liking the Charlize Theron pic though…

Thanks PG

7. Gunn Lino
    January 16, 2008 11:26 am

Meeting Dr. Goddess halfway is not a mandate, it seems that some of us are quite full of ourselves AND our opinions that someone else’s viewpoint is to be belittled and put down simply because it’s different or not as informed (or has it’s own agenda) from/than ours.
    Dr. Goddess has a opinion, Pittgirl has an opinion, opinions are like assholes, everybodys got one. So, because mine is different from yours gives you the right to attack me for something that has nothing to do with the subject at hand ( T shirts, and alcohol, now there is something to bad mouth someone about ).
    Demanding $$$$$$ so that the $$$$$$ can be misused and stolen and paid to unqualified people for meaningless research ( sound like something that happened recently?) is blackmail.
    The whole mentality of the whole situation is one of the reasons the “burgh is in the situation in the first place. Of course that’s just my opinion.

8. Dr. Goddess
    January 16, 2008 1:03 pm

Goodness gracious.

First, hey Charlize! So glad you’re coming to the Burgh! Thanks, also, for going back home and celebrating with Nelson Mandela a few years back! I remember when he said you’re one of South Africa’s shining lights (or something like that) and you are!

Second, I’m sorry that PittGirl feels bitch-slapped. It wasn’t my intent. Actually, Pensgirl totally gets my statements and intent. Almost 100%, even.

Third, Dan, this was a convo that needed to happen.

Fourth, Gunn, I long for the day when you can see that Jim Motznik running from gas tank abuses to Twanda Carlisle running from fur coat fiascos to Luke Ravenstahl flying away from his role in providing massive corporate welfare with little or disproportionate public benefit—is all one in the same and how we’re all getting screwed.

Until then, you’ll continue to just be an asshole with an opinion.

9. Pingback: Paris Hilton » Random n@.

10. Calm down Dr. Goddess
    January 16, 2008 1:34 pm

I don’t think PittGirl bears any responsibility to traffic readers to other sources of info unless she feels like it. Her blog has a large fanbase due to her witty, interesting writing and I sincerely hope she doesn’t tailor the Burgh Blog to cater to some other blogger hoping to gain a piece of the Burgh Blog’s popularity for themselves, even if the issue is an important one. That is exactly what it seems to me you are doing because there was really no reason to create such waves and attack PittGirl when you do not even know her.

I can’t help but wonder, Dr. Goddess – this issue is close to your heart, apparently, and I can appreciate that. What if the subject matter at hand was an issue you did not care about, though? Can you honestly say that you would you still be raising such a stink that a thorough analysis of the issue was not covered on the Burgh Blog or people were not pointed in the right direction for information in that scenario?

Considering PittGirl posts about alot of local issues and I have never noticed your name in the comments boxes until the past couple of posts, I would say it is safe to say that no, you would not.

11. Bram R
    January 16, 2008 1:51 pm

“That is exactly what it seems to me you are doing because there was really no reason to create such waves and attack PittGirl when you do not even know her.”

DUH, PittGirl INVITED the waves, Calm Down. It’s a thing we bloggers do. I hate to use the analogy because we’re dealing with two (allegedly) female bloggers, but that was a pillow-fight, not a knife-fight.

January 16, 2008 2:14 pm

or….is it a catfight???

meow!

;-P

13. Dan (Not Onarato)
    January 16, 2008 2:22 pm

Could Dr. Goddess be MacYapper?

hmmmm

14. Mia`
    January 16, 2008 2:23 pm

Wow. I miss reading for a day and look what I miss!
    Tossing my two cents into the ring…

Dr. Goddess: This is obviously a very important issue to and for you. You seem to live in the community effected, so it is admirable that you are not just whining about it and are attempting to do something about it, even if it’s just educating yourself and attempting to educate others. (I am not implying that is all your are doing, I’m saying that it is admirable even if that is all you are doing.) This issue is a priority for you.

That being said, you did come across on the offensive and seem to attack Pittgirl (on her blog) and the rest of us in general for not making it a priority for herself/ourselves as well. You can not expect everyone else in the state, or even the southwestern portion of the state to be as focused on this issue. It is not going to be a priority for everyone. People not living/working in the immediate area often have other issues closer to home that will take priority over issues that do not directly effect them on a daily basis. When asked she stated that she was not informed and hadn’t really formed an opinion. I would think that would be seen as a good thing. It would have been extremely predjudiced to form an opinion without having any real knowledge of the situation. You said something about her doing the right thing by publicy acknowleding the importance of the issue and if she isn’t informed point people to read about it from yours or Bram’s site (paraphrased). That would be the right thing to do as you see it. She refrained from commenting on the subject until asked because she didn’t feel she knew enough about it, and that was the right thing for her to do from her point of view.

From your responses to other commenters, I am guessing that you did not intend to come across as the “angry black woman pulling the race card,” but it seems that that is exactly how some of the commenters saw it. Does not make either you or the commenters “wrong.” You are speaking about something you feel strongly about, and are upset that more people aren’t as upset, or aren’t doing something about/getting involved with (if I’m reading you correctly), and they aren’t as informed/upset/affected by it and see it more as you attacking Pittgirl/the rest of us.

On the “racist” note – I see it more as predjudice than racism. Yes it exists, and will more than likely ALWAYS exist. If it’s not race or ethnicity than it’s financial standing, social standing, or even the way one chooses to live their lives. If you are different than me, think differently, act differently, look differently, live differently than it is wrong. I think it’s irrational to belive that this will ever change. It will hopefully decrease, but I doubt it will ever truly be eliminated.

Several commenters mentioned “pulling the race card” – for many people, any person/group/community that “pulls the race card” is then ignored. It’s been pulled too many times by too many people for selfish reasons. Perhaps that’s not right, but it is reality.

And to the upset commenters: I don’t believe Dr Godess meant to attack anyone. I believe she is extremely upset about a valid issue. She seems to be very emotionally invested in this issue and that emotion is coming through. This is not a bad thing. She seems to be attempting to educate and get more people involved. Again, not a bad thing. We all have to remember that it is difficult to get proper “tone” from this type of communication. Tone of voice and body language are a large portion of communicating, and those are absent here.

I think we can all agree that there is a problem, that there is no easy solution to the problem, and that no solution will make all sides happy. That is my completely generic summation of the situation because I too don’t have the time or energy to dedicate to this issue. I don’t live in the city, I don’t even live in an area that would be considered a suburb of the city therefore it does not directly effect me on a daily basis. The issues of my own community do, so they take priority for me. I’m quite certain I am not the only one.

15. coolmommy123
    January 16, 2008 2:29 pm

Re: 10.Calm down Dr. Goddess said …

“and I sincerely hope she doesn’t tailor the Burgh Blog to cater to some other blogger hoping to gain a piece of the Burgh Blog’s popularity for themselves, even if the issue is an important one.”

Hear hear!!! (or is it here here?). Nope, hear hear!
    (just wanted in on the pillowfight!)

16. JP
    January 16, 2008 2:49 pm

My goodness how about the douche who stole that little boy’s wheel chair? That is by far the crappiest thing I have heard since I do not know when. There must be a special place in hell or Cleveland for a prick like that.

17. south-fl-steel
    January 16, 2008 2:55 pm

i am very concerned about the steelers keeping alan fanaca and signing some key free agaents this off season to get back up to where the patriots are now. now you have to understand that the steelers are an issue that is very close to my heart, and as their season goes, so goes my life. i would encourage you, pittgirl, and the rest of your readers to do whatever you can to spread the awareness of the needs of this steeler team during the off-season. this team also brings alot of money into the local economy, so everyone should be devoted to this cause of uplifting the team into the elite status of the nfl. there is no need to argue that you don’t care, or the subject of the steelers is irrelevent, because i’ve learned from these posts and comments that everyone HAS to care about what concerns each one of us have. so please, starting trying to bang the drums on bringing in more talent to this steeler team in order to bring another championship to the burg!

oh, and maybe we could do something about the pirates while we’re at it.

18. parkingchair
    January 16, 2008 3:27 pm

Well, I WAS planning on enticing Ms. Theron my way with tickets to a Poverty Neck Hillbillies concert, so I guess I’m now screwed.

19. Bram R
    January 16, 2008 3:28 pm

You thought you didn’t have a special responsibility to inform the masses before? PittGirl, you have a virtual monopoly on the attentions of city hall all of sudden. You and Bill.

20. Bram R
    January 16, 2008 4:35 pm

With great hottness comes great responsibility.

21. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    January 16, 2008 4:49 pm

Isn’t the whole concept of free will based on the premise that each one of us individually can “choose whether or not you will stay informed, let alone get involved”? (I’m asking a simple question, nothing else.) Am I going to hell because I choose to not be informed or involved in something that is super important to someone else, but not so much to me. Just as I don’t go to Steven Spielberg, Oliver Stone, Mel Gibson or Spike Lee films to learn history, I don’t rely on blogs or the news media to educate me about important issues impacting Pittsburgh. It’s intersting to hear the various perspectives on issues such as this, and be entertained, but I will usually go to the sources to get the specific details when I want to learn more about an issue. Many of these blogs have been very helpful in pointing out these sources, but in the end, it is still everyone’s individual choice (not some huge collective) to decide whether or not to stay informed or be involved.

[Please note: I did not say anyone said I had to be informed or involved, I did not say Spielberg, Stone, Gibson or Lee films were good or bad sources for learning history. I did not say these blogs were not helpful. Sometimes people actually do say something where the general meaning of the words used were intended, with no hidden inuendos or meanings intended. Also, I am going to hell, but I’m pretty sure it has nothing to do with this issue. It might be because the Pitt Girl T-shirt and the alcohol, though.]

People, please chill out and have a good weekend. It is possible to be a responsible, caring person and citizen and also enjoy life too (I am not implying that anyone indicated otherwise).

22. Still A. Fan
    January 16, 2008 7:13 pm

#6 i was just noticing scant hours ago that home depot has the lawn furniture out where the xmas items just were. mowers and tractors have replaced the snow blowers. it is january 16th!!!! pretty soon macy’s will be putting out red, white and blue tank tops for the 4th.

23. KGC
    January 16, 2008 8:53 pm

Re: Charlize Theron photo…

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

With thee, I self-unite. (Not you, silly PittGirl. Charlize!)

oyeeoyeeoyeeoyeeoyeeoyeeoyeeoyeeoyeeoyee

(Aside, the “oyeeoyee” is a punchline to a joke long-forgotten. Does anyone know the joke? ‘cuz I don’t.)

24. Jenn
    January 16, 2008 10:30 pm

4. WHAT about Viggo? Can we don him in some “Aragorn” garb? Er …, maybe not.

5. That’s touching and here’s to hoping that he’s granted much more time …

25. Dr. Goddess
    January 17, 2008 2:18 pm

Hey, um, it looks like there’s a split between the readership. Somebody cast me into a vacuous space of inanity just one click away (http://theburghblog.com/2008/01/15/dear-pittgirl/#comment-60527)

Clearly, I should have been posting on this side more.

I am calm. Really. No one has seen me excited here.

I don’t know what else to say. I’ll answer peoples’ questions and I do love a good debate. But I’m not an armchair revolutionary, so I don’t have as much time to just chat about what’s happening, folks.

Thanks for reading/listening.

26. Pat S.
    January 17, 2008 4:01 pm

Wow, they’re filming “The Road” in Pittsburgh? Not only has that book given me an unprecedented fear of societal collapse, but now it’s taking over the town of my youth. Why must you torment me, Cormac McCarthy?

Seriously, that book will f you up.

27. Calm down Dr. Goddess
    January 18, 2008 9:25 am

Don’t have enough time to talk about an issue? A little hypocritical of you considering part of the reason you blasted PittGirl in the first place is she did not have the time to elaborate on this issue. And you’ve been one hell of an keyboard warrior over the past few days…you had time then.