Buh-bye.

Reader Jim wrote:

My brother Jeff (chef d’cuisine at [BLEEP]) called me to tell me his beer supply guy just gave him some bad news. He says that Iron City will no longer distribute their beer in the now famous aluminum bottles – the cost is too high compared to the glass ones. I’d consider that what they refer to in the news biz as a “reliable source.”

In case this is true, get your keepsake one while you can.

January 18, 2008 4:02 pm

now, if they’d only stop distributing their so-called “beer”…..

2. lauren
    January 18, 2008 4:16 pm

hey, unsatisfied, bite your tongue! you just can’t handle the arhn….

3. cityworker
    January 18, 2008 4:26 pm

i can’t handle the arhn because it is impossible to drink. i like something a little better than piss in a bottle.

January 18, 2008 4:44 pm

Ooooo, goodie, beer talk! Spoon! Where are you, Spoon? I crossed the border today and came back with a Stoudt’s sampler. I hope that’s technically illegal here, cuz I like cultivating my outlaw image.

Iron? Meh. I was way more upset about what happened to Rolling Rock.

5. In Sewickley
    January 21, 2008 12:08 pm

The only thing I drink is Iron City. I’ve been sad lately that most restaurants don’t have a good supply. When I went to Iron City’s website, it says that they’re in a transition (with the new owners and all) and that supplies will vary.

Iron City is the only tolerable beer. I hate Sam Adams, I hate Bud, I hate Coors and Miller, etc.

Give me an Arn or give me death!

6. JP
    January 21, 2008 6:12 pm

ICB is switching over to the newer style sankey kegs from the older hoff stevens which should help a bit getting them back into more bars.(article in the pg said they are easier to store and stack). I drink arhn, auggie, dutch club dark, and Herman whenever I can find it. There is notheing wrong with ICB beer. It is what it is: adjunct lager. Thing is, it is still being brewed in the middle of this city, which is pretty impressive if you ask me. I bet half of the chuckle butts who talk it down could not tell the difference between IC light and bud light in a blind test. I would never tell people what to drink, but if you are going to a drink light beer, why not pick up the one made in Lawernceville rather than Newark NJ?

7. Eileen
    January 23, 2008 11:58 am

Support local business. If IC goes under so does approx. 20 of my friends livelihood.
    I pretty sure at one time Iron City brewed Sam Adams and Augistiner.(I know that spelling is way off)
    They lost their best customer when my husband passed away, he wouldn’t drink anything else. (I guess that’s why they’re in trouble now, Dan drank enough to keep them afloat for 30 years)
    No thats not what killed him!

8. spoon
    January 23, 2008 1:01 pm

I wouldn’t worry about Iron City going under. They’re just restructuring. Yeah it was great to have the aluminum bottles but you gotta cut costs if you’re looking to rebound. I’ve heard the guy that took over is a miracle worker so cross your fingers.

I’m looking forward to the triumphant return of Olde Frothingslosh.