His own.

He’s not the next Sidney Crosby. He’s not the next Jaromir Jagr or Alexander Ovechkin. He’s Evgeni Malkin and ONLY Evgeni Malkin.

Bear with me during the commercial, then just fast forward to 1:29 and be in awe. My god, if puck handling turned me on … wait. That puck handling just totally turned me on.

This is new.

1. Bill
    January 21, 2008 10:55 am

Being left off of the NHL All Star game roster has certainly lit a fire under Gino. Maybe it has been a good thing for the Pens, remember when Jagr got hurt in the skills competition a few years ago.

2. curtO.
    January 21, 2008 10:56 am

If only Gonch could have scored there.

Did anyone see Malkin’s moonwalk at the blue line during the TB game? I’ll need to find a video of that.

3. DW
    January 21, 2008 11:22 am

curtO, I saw the moonwalk, awesome! Hey, he’ll probably make the All-Star team now, sadly replacing Sid. But he should have made it on his own.
    A lot of people think he’s as talented as Ovechkin, who was taken #1 overall that year.
    I’d love to see him really turn it on during this oppty to lead and take his game to yet another level.
    Would be nice for my fantasy team, too…

4. spoon
    January 21, 2008 11:32 am

While watching that at the bowling alley you heard a collective “holy shit” come over the place.

Geno will step it up. He’s always played tough but when you have Sid on your team it’s tough to be in the spotlight

5. curtO.
    January 21, 2008 11:56 am

Malkin would be the best star on most any NHL team. But he can’t really shine with the “Sun of the NHL Solar System” being on the same team. I’m sure Crosby realizes that.

I watched the replys, and I was at the game. Was it that bad? I pray Sidney didn’t get hurt badly, but is it possible that Sidney chose to make the fall seem bigger than it was to help a teammate? Everyone knows Malkin got snubbed from the All-Star game. And everyone knows if Sidney goes to the All-Star game it’s 30 cameras on him, 1 for everyone else. So no break at all, just high stress interviews and constant media attention on him.

So Crosby decides to take a mini-break, sorta, with all the non-selections of the NHL for the upcomming All-Star weekend in Atlanta. Malkin then gets picked up in his place to play and shows the NHL who the FUNK he is, then Crosby comes back soon after the All-Star game to turn the season OUT.

Please don’t quote me, just me with my optimistic thinking.

curtO.

6. Pensgirl
    January 21, 2008 4:08 pm

Wait, PG, puckhandling is a new turnon to you? Oh, honey, where ya been?

curtO, cast off your Pollyanna wig and get out your go-to liquor (or whatever numbing device you rely on), because word is Sid’s out for two months. I have faith this team could handle one month, not so sure about two. Here’s hoping they make me laugh at myself for wondering.

SIGH….

…but this post is about the awesomeness that is Malkin. I saw it somewhere right after Sid went down (Pensblog maybe) – there was a time when Geno was THE building block for the Pens’ future, and there was a damn good reason for that. We’ll see what he can do with the #1 center position…I suspect we ain’t seen nuthin’ yet.

7. Still A. Fan
    January 21, 2008 11:15 pm

that pink haired cartoon chick is hot.

i need help.