Oh, Lukey.

The PG went and asked the movers and shakers of the city, particular those movers and shakers that are working to bridge the diversity gap, “What would Martin Luther King, Jr. do  if he were alive today?”

There are the standard answers you would come to expect. Things like:

• He would persuade black people to accomplish goals and reach for the limit and not shoot their best friend. He would be alarmed at the statistics, the alarming rate that African-American men die and the alarming rate that African-American girls have babies.
  • Beyond a continued work in the field of social justice, I believe Dr. King would be a champion of the concept of thinking before speaking and paying attention to the impact of words — especially words expressed to a broad audience.
  • I would want him to focus on the growth and development of the youth in America, African-American and otherwise. I would want him to target the development of their character and their academic attainment. They can do the rest from there.

And then, there’s Lukey:

If Martin Luther King were here today, he would be championing the fight to ensure that our neighborhoods, our leadership and our workforces be more unified and harmonious. If I could engage him with us today in the City of Pittsburgh, I would ask him to travel with our DiverseCity 365 Road Show, which focuses on recruiting more minorities for professional city careers, to help us develop a more dynamic and diverse staff that both represents and serves our residents.

Really. I mean, Lukey, REALLY?! The question was not “What are you doing that Martin Luther King, Jr. would be doing today?” The question was not, “Hey, Lukey?! What’s your administration doing to promote diversity” or “Lukey, got any sound bites you need printed?”

You couldn’t have just stuck with your first sentence and left it at that? You had to actually bring up by name one of your programs and then actually define the program. You couldn’t have just said, “MLK was a man of strength and vision who fought valiantly and I believe that were he alive today, he would still be fighting valiantly for the people he saw suffering in the name of inequality.”

No, you went with, “This was an honorable, harmonious man, but enough about him. Lemme tell you about my little program called DiverseCity 365. Like. Whoa. Would you like an I Like Luke button?”

I might be paraphrasing, yo.

1. justretiredguy
    January 21, 2008 2:10 pm

Like most children, Lukey cannot go long without shouting “Look at me! Look at me!”

2. spoon
    January 21, 2008 2:18 pm

Lukey is a “meme” (me me) It’s all about meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Does Luke realize that MLK would be 80 years old if he were still alive. Not that 80 is old. I mean I hear it’s the new 79 but still, he wouldn’t be the strapping young buck of the 60’s.

Wonder what he would think about the drink tax.

3. O
    January 21, 2008 2:21 pm

What’s funny is that 2008 has *366* days this year…

Which prompts the question: which day this year is the Luke skipping on diversity?

4. pittgirl
    January 21, 2008 2:32 pm

HAH!

January 21, 2008 2:57 pm

if MLK were alive today, he’d be kicking every rapper in the ass.

6. Bram R
    January 21, 2008 3:33 pm

Jinx! You owe me a Coke.

7. In Sewickley
    January 21, 2008 4:12 pm

If MLK was alive today, he’d kick Luke in the ass for being dumb.

8. B
    January 22, 2008 1:08 am

“He would persuade black people to accomplish goals and reach for the limit and not shoot their best friend. He would be alarmed at the statistics, the alarming rate that African-American men die and the alarming rate that African-American girls have babies.”

Yes, because I know I am 26 with 4 kids and three “baby-daddies” and not accomplishing anything.

Um, actually, I’m twenty-six year old black female who is a student, no kids (gasp!), a job, and moved to NYC a year ago from Florida to better myself.

Jesus. Love you PittGirl, but shit like that perpetuates outrageous stereotypes. Damn. Black on black crime–HUGE PROBLEM. Young black women having babies–BIG PROBLEM. But please don’t lump all of us in one category like that. Shit’s wack. You can’t hold a whole race responsible for what some of their dumbass counterparts do. (Example: Britney. Enough said)

9. pittgirl
    January 22, 2008 7:13 am

Uh, B. I didn’t write that. I was just quoting what a few people said, straight from the article. I picked out three quotes at random and stuck them in there. I’m not perpetuating an outrageous stereotype.

Damn.

10. Dan (Not Onarato)
    January 22, 2008 8:20 am

tell you what…people are getting a little touchy…lets just calm the “f” down and chill…

waiting for Dr Goddess to show up now…jeezuz

11. spoon
    January 22, 2008 9:22 am

um yeah if you’re feeling tension I suggest staying away from the Trib today.

All yinz need to relax and have a homebrew.