Random n@.

1. So, yeah, I didn’t get to a single email last night. But I got to them this morning.

2. The PG’s series on the antiquated, monopolistic nature of the PLCB is a must read. There has been many a time that I have sat at my laptop and said, “PittGirl, you need to write down how you feel about the PLCB” only to have my brain fritz out from the overwhelming hate and hopelessness that wells up in me.

I will say this. If I were to run for Governor on the platform that I will make it my goal to disband the PLCB during my first term … who WOULDN’T vote for me?

3. Those evil hate-monging killing-machine developing geniuses at CMU (God, I love all of them, I do.) have a video series featuring Keepon, the little yellow adorable robot designed at CMU. Keepon, somehow through the magic of robotics and maybe some juju, can dance a wicked beat. This first one just cracked my shit up, especially the little purple headband. That was a nice touch.

Also, they should make a girlfriend for Keepon and they can call her ‘Sgoinon.

It’s meant to be.

This one rocks too, particularly the camera panning from “How to spot a hostile robot” over to little, dancing Keepon.

(h/t Mandy)

4. Repeat after me, “If some jagoff from Boston ever shows up in my place of getting my drink on and that jagoff is carrying a life-sized cardboard cutout fully illustrating the fug that is Tom Brady, I will light it afire.”

Thanks.

(h/t Jordan)

5. From a review of Mysteries of Pittsburgh at Sundance:

As for Pittsburgh itself, save one distinctive power plant, the setting is Anywhere, USA—”Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” is a greater ode to Chicago than this film is to its namesake.

Ouch.

6. From yesterday’s Cat’s Call:

DEAR CAT: I gave a friend a 30-ounce jar of colossal cashews for Christmas. Now he’s in the hospital with diverticulitis. I can’t stop thinking it’s my fault. Is it? — MAKING ME NUTS

DEAR NUTS: Cat’s Call: Only if you force-fed him.

Cat? Ya been punked, honey.

(h/t DW)

7. Cyril Wecht is so screwed.

1. Rollo
    January 30, 2008 11:45 am

I’ve always thought my campaign for governor would have two cornerstones: 1. Down with the PLCB and 2. ALL gas stations would be required to have the stoppers in play so you don’t have to hold onto a frigid, frozen nozzle. I’d win in a landslide.

2. In Sewickley
    January 30, 2008 12:16 pm

I don’t think Wecht is screwed. My question is this… there are many political figures who take advantage of the system. Why did they just hone in on him? I like Cyril.

3. Marcy
    January 30, 2008 12:52 pm

I thought the SAME thing when I read that item in Cat’s column…funny that she answered it.

4. Eileen
    January 30, 2008 1:02 pm

He’s not screwed. But I wish he were.
    Cyril (I’m too smart for all you dumb people) Wecht thinks he can do whatever he wants, and he does.
    How about yesterday’s ruling that stated Dick Thornburg was not allowed to mention he used to be Governor of PA or US Attny General. If jurors don’t already know that, there is no need for a trial. Just acquit him and save us all a bunch of money.
    He uses every big word he knows in one sentence and just rearranges the same words in each sentence.
    Arrogant SOB.

5. JP
    January 30, 2008 1:21 pm

Ridge approached the subject of privatizing liquor sales, but had no chance getting passed AFSME and the Teamsters. Plus, the party hacks on the PLCB teamed-up with the mid-state Bible thumpers to give it the coup de grace. Another great idea that has overwhelming support in this state which will never happen because of the pay-outs.

6. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    January 30, 2008 1:27 pm

JP is dead on. Ridge made privatizing the PLCB part of his first term and got bopped majorly upside the head by the unions and a lot of legislators. Like the Turnpike Commission, state store jobs are pretty much still entrenched in patronage and nepotism. The salaries are good and the benefits are fantastic. The state store employees on the eastern part of the state (ASFME represented) even had health club memberships as part of their benefits packages at one point. Not sure if this is still the case. It sure is going to be difficult coming back to PA and having to get used to going to three places for my alcohol needs when here in Oregon, I just have to go across the street to Trader Joe’s for beer and wine and around the corner for hard liquor (Oregon still has state stores for liquor). I can even get six different bottles in my six pack, or even just one bottle of beer. Plus, they give me a nickel back if I return the empty.

7. bellgirl
    January 30, 2008 1:56 pm

Anyone else have a crush on Keepon’s human pal?

8. toni
    January 30, 2008 2:15 pm

The PLCB has always been a political run machine…and Rendell only proved that by his farce of a hiring…giving a homie of his some trumped up job. A position that didn’t exist before and was wholly made up by Rendell to “reward” a flunkie after stating we need to control spending. The rules and regs of this antiquated system are insane and while the general public would applaud its downfall, all the politicos state that we WANT it in place. That’s because its a cash cow to them and our nightmare…but we keep putting these asses in office…

Wecht is screwed but as with all highprofile rich accused clients..he will get off with a wrist slap. You think today’s PPG article shows he’s screwed? This is MILD compared to the Bob Mayo’s trial blog on Pittsburghchannel.com. You’ll poop a brick ( wonder if that will make it to the musem of natural history?)

9. BagitTagit
    January 30, 2008 3:31 pm

What’s happened to us all? Some jagoff walks into a bar on the SATH SIDE (BREWSKI’s of all places) with a giant cut out of ANY New England Patriot and the story DOESN’T end with a homicide? Or at least aggravated assault?

Cmon Brewski’s… You’re better than that.

10. Kelli
    January 30, 2008 3:32 pm

See, it doesn’t matter if Wecht gets a slap on the wrist – if he is convicted of even one of those counts, he can/will lose his license. Which means losing his status as an expert witness.

Which means bye-bye to all those “highprofile rich accused clients”

Also, are there rules against getting mixed 6 packs or buying single bottles of beer here? I wondered because Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl mentioned those thing and I have certainly done both here in PA.

11. Lily
    January 30, 2008 3:35 pm

bellgirl – I was going to ask the same thing.

12. Dave
    January 30, 2008 3:36 pm

Govn’r Pittgirl…it has a ring to it….hell, you got my vote without the death of the PLCB.

13. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    January 30, 2008 4:40 pm

To answer Kelli’s question regarding mixing six packs — it is technically against the law in PA, but since you can only get a take-out six pack legally at a bar in PA, many bar owners let you do it. When buying single bottles to go, bar owners are also only legally allowed to sell 40 oz. bottles, or “specialty” sizes (like the fancy 20-22 oz. sizes). Basically, if it isn’t presented to market as a single sale item or six pack, a bar isn’t legally allowed to sell it, i.e., meaning they aren’t supposed to break up a case for individual take-out sales. When I lived and worked in PA, my job involved knowing the ins and outs of the PA Liquor Code. This may have changed in the three years I’ve been gone from PA, but I’ve been pretty careful to keep up with the Liquor Code changes only because I would likely return to that area of law should I ever return to PA.

14. back in the burgh
    January 30, 2008 4:48 pm

BagitTagit I’m so glad someone brought that up! I was thinking as I watched the video that it was a pretty pathetic representation of Steeler country. I liked the heel through the face, but come on … it could have been so much more fun!!!

15. toni
    January 30, 2008 4:50 pm

But that’s just it…I believe that some kind of deal will be reached that let’s Wecht retain his license. Hence the slap on the wrist. This of course will come months, if not years from now after they postpone this current trial for jury tampering….

I am taking it for granted that you saw the blurb about the judge issuing a command that all jurors were to exit and enter the building by the same specific entrance…and this after some vague reference and complaint about one of Wecht’s lawyers approaching a juror in a hallway….

January 30, 2008 5:39 pm

that reporter must have gone to brewski’s on a tuesday night or something — otherwise, that is NOT the brewski’s I used to know.

as for the PLCB — thank you for your efforts to keep minors from buying and helping to keep drunks off the roads. as you are the last state in the union with these tactics, I salute you for sticking to your guns and staying in the stone age.

17. Zsa
    January 30, 2008 6:05 pm

#10 & #15 I agree – I was thinking of giving Brewski’s a try, but if it actually lets girls that effing stupid in, I will be skipping it.

18. NYtoPittsburgh
    January 30, 2008 6:16 pm

When I was in Philly, you could buy a 6 pack at a deli. Is this allowed through the state or is Philly exempt from certain rules? I am not from PA and the rules surrounding liquor/beer sales is rather confusing to me.
    I love Pittsburgh but I miss NY for the simple fact that you can go into a grocery store and buy a cold six pack.

19. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    January 30, 2008 6:49 pm

The deli probably had an off-premise license in addition to its on-premise license, and was also classified as a restaurant. There are probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-40 different types of licenses that allow bars/restaurants/taverns/private clubs to sell alcohol in varying degrees.

20. spoon
    January 30, 2008 7:48 pm

PA has a hoop hole which has allowed 6pack shops. The way that 6-pack shops can get away with selling mixed 6 packs is because a certain percentage of their sales are food. That’s why places like 3 Sons sell hotdogs. The cost is very minimal to them and they still meet the requirements. You can buy and mix a six pack on premise but you can not consume it there.

One thing I did hear was that distributors that sell the mini-kegs are doing so illegally because those come in a case and they’re breaking those up.

21. Brando
    January 30, 2008 9:45 pm

With all this talk about LCB’s and Mr. Wecht…nobody has seemed to notice that Keepon was featured on a wall next to Ted Danson. I don’t know what that was all about…but it’s damn funny.

22. addie
    January 30, 2008 10:58 pm

@Brando –

That’s the CMU “hall of fame.” Danson’s a CMU grad.

More importantly, Keepon is next to Gaius Charles – Smash Williams from Friday Night Lights – also a CMU grad. I’d take him over Ted.

23. Kelli
    January 31, 2008 8:48 am

Actually, I haven’t been taking anyone in the Wecht case very seriously, least of all the judge. (and yes, including Cyril himself)

It is amazing to say when discussing the Wecht case, but Cyril may not be the one with the biggest ego or over-inflated sense of self in this deal.

It is shady on all sides.

Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl: Thank you for the information. It is true, the only place I ever got a mixed 6 pack was at bars, where I assumed they could sell them singly if no one wanted the mixed 6 pack that would be left after mine was built. I had no idea about the single bottles – that they could only be specialty sizes – even when I was bartending, I was told by my bosses (at more than one job) I could sell single bottles, of any size, to go, as long as I didn’t open them. And I have bought some the same way.

January 31, 2008 11:03 am

I guess this is a good time to mention I can wander into a Jint Iggle here in Mo’town and buy beer, wine and Old No. 7 almost any time almost any day.

The beer selection sucks, though.

*ducks*

25. justretiredguy
    February 2, 2008 7:30 pm

It’s “Dr. Cyril Wecht MD; JD”

Slogan:

Autopsies while you wait whether you want it or not.