NO DRINK FOR YOU!

Looks like someone in the Mayor’s office made use of Microsoft Word’s thesaurus.

From Lukey’s January Neighborhood Message:

As a city, we as residents have always met challenges together, and as a city we will face the future together. Let us continue, as the Promise advises, to “dream big and work hard” as we stride forward to make great things happen, for our families, for our neighborhoods, and for Pittsburgh.

Stride forward. STRIDE forward?

That is a ridiculous and obvious attempt to avoid the phrase “move forward.”

Way to go, Zober. Deliberately denying the constituents their drinks, you Drink Nazi, you.

1. BagitTagit
    February 1, 2008 10:41 am

Doesnt he understand by using the “move forward” language he is helping the city as we must drink and thus cede the 10% tax.

Cmon Luke… You’re better than that!

2. Judge Rufus Peckham
    February 1, 2008 10:45 am

I see in the mayor’s actual quote, excerpted above, he did NOT use the untriggered reflexive “myself,” as PittGirl did in her brilliant parody. I am hopeful that he’s finally shed that very annoying misuse of pronouns.

3. pittgirl
    February 1, 2008 11:28 am

Judge, then you def don’t want to go here, which was posted just 11 hours ago:

4. Judge Rufus Peckham
    February 1, 2008 11:34 am

Ohhhh! I spoke too soon! That only underscores that your parody of him is dead-on.

5. Erin
    February 1, 2008 11:46 am

That “myself” business makes my ears bleed. Someone teach this kid to speak, please.

6. PAGirlinFL
    February 1, 2008 12:00 pm

When Lukey became Mayor, I was proud of the fact that we had attended the same college. Now, however, I realize that the quality of education must of declined significantly after I graduated, before he enrolled….Lordy, the boy needs some serious help!

7. Brother Anthony
    February 1, 2008 12:04 pm

Hopefully it’s all a subliminal campaign for local education funding. Pray no one asks him why so many Pittsburghers can’t identify Pittsburgh on a map.

8. merman
    February 1, 2008 12:31 pm

Baby steps to Paris, Baby steps to Amsterdam …

9. JP
    February 1, 2008 12:34 pm

“I’m somewhat embarrassed to admit my first opportunity to hear the Pittsburgh Symphony was in Amsterdam,” said Ravenstahl, who added that they thoroughly enjoyed it. “My wife and I were talking about it, and when we get back to Pittsburgh in the very near future, we’re going to Heinz Hall.”

That’s priceless you can not make something like that up. Now why in God’s name would he put that out there? Especially after all the trap about him taking that truck out to Hershey for a concert.

10. Katie
    February 1, 2008 12:48 pm

I think it just means we need an amendment to the Drinking Game rules. That’s allowable, right?

11. JamieO
    February 1, 2008 2:13 pm

I just shout “technicality” and drink in this case, but that’s just me.

Wait, the first time he heard the Symphony was in Amsterdam? Does this mean Telaropa can open back up in Oakland without fear of police harassment?

12. Katrina
    February 1, 2008 2:18 pm

But STRIDING is so much more ACTIVE than moving. STRIDING requires you moving your legs. MOVING could be entirely passive: you could move forward if you were pushed from behind, but that doesn’t mean you did anything.

I’m positive that he was thinking this when he chose STRIDE over MOVE.

My sarcasm is becoming STRIDENT.

13. Larry
    February 1, 2008 2:30 pm

hmm… giving him the benefit of the doubt, do you think they meant “strive”…?

14. Erik
    February 1, 2008 2:56 pm

I initially read that as “January neighborhood massage.”

I happen to prefer it my way.

15. GeeO
    February 1, 2008 3:22 pm

Heard Lukey interviewed on the news from Amsterdam, and he said that of course everyone knows Pittsburgh over there because of the Steelers. He’s tragically mistaken. Nobody in Europe has ever heard of the Steelers because no one else in the world plays American-style football. To them, football is soccer. All of Europe does know Pittsburgh because of the Symphony.

Oh Lukey….

16. jason
    February 1, 2008 5:20 pm

he’s the mayor of pittsburgh- whaddya want? a speech penned by Robert Frost?

17. Judge Rufus Peckham
    February 1, 2008 6:50 pm

When I am in Europe, I get blank stares when I mention Pittsburgh, but just mention “Pennyslvania” and their eyes light up: “Oh, Liberty Bell!”

Honest to goodness — that damn cracked bell is a big deal everywhere.

18. justretiredguy
    February 2, 2008 7:13 pm

I’ve said it before, the boy mayor is an idiot and an embarassment. I don’t care where he went to college. My opinion, a bachelor degree isn’t much more that a highschool diploma of twenty years ago.

Dan Onarato may be a lying piece of political crap, but Lukey is just (as my mother used to say), plain stupid.

19. Matt H
    February 3, 2008 7:06 pm

There are a lot of Steelers fans in Europe.

20. JP
    February 3, 2008 8:45 pm

I just think it is hilarious that he sits on the board of the Pittsburgh cultural trust and has never been to the symphony that’s all.

21. Sofa King
    February 4, 2008 11:15 am

Uh-oh…what will the repercussions of this be on the now infamous drinking game? Will you accept synonyms if this trend continues and we hear “saunter forward,” “propel forward,” or, God-willing, “locomote forward?”