Dear Ed Rendell,

How’s that sandwich?

Hey listen, can you cut the crap, yo?

Gov. Ed Rendell, one of Hillary Rodham Clinton’s strongest supporters, said some white Pennsylvanians are likely to vote against her rival Barack Obama because he is black.

“You’ve got conservative whites here, and I think there are some whites who are probably not ready to vote for an African-American candidate,” Rendell told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. He cited his 2006 re-election defeat of Republican Lynn Swann, the former Pittsburgh Steelers star, by more than 60 percent.

“I believe . . . that had Lynn Swann been the identical candidate that he was – well-spoken, charismatic, good-looking – but white instead of black, instead of winning by 22 points, I would have won by 17 or so,” he said. “And that (attitude) exists. But on the other hand, that is counterbalanced by Obama’s ability to bring new voters into the electoral pool.”

Way to paint your state as racist.  That was classy.  Well, actually, way to paint your conservative constituents as racist.

How, Eddie, HOW I ask you, are we as a country, as a united people gloriously different with different-y different-ness ever supposed to burn the race card if people like you continually, with no need, keep whipping a new one out?

I can’t even adequately express how ridiculous it is that you decided only conservatives were and will be affected by the race of the candidates.  Dude, if you think racism falls neatly within party lines you really are much stupider than I previously thought.  And previously, I found you to be pretty stupid.

Like most republicans and democrats, I do not care, I did not care, I will never care what color Lynn Swann is.  He’s a STEELER, for gosh sakes!

I kid.

And like those republicans and democrats, I do not care and I will never care what color Barack Obama is.

I don’t care if he’s black, white, black/white, or a purple people eater in a yellow polka dot bikini.

I only care if he’s a decent human being whose platform aligns nicely with mine.  I don’t know yet.

Please, Eddie, eat your sandwich and put the race card away until such a time as it absolutely must be pulled from your sleeve.

This, however, wasn’t such a time.

What is that?  Pastrami?

PittGirl

1. pgh4life
    February 13, 2008 9:03 am

another reason why i hate rendell, and philly for voting his racist butt in office.

2. Pingback: Football » Dear Ed Rendell,

3. Julie
    February 13, 2008 9:14 am

Actually, my thoughts on Hillary Clinton were substantially diminished once Rendell declared his support for her candidacy. Not that my thoughts on her were that great to begin with, but I sure as hell don’t want to vote for anyone Rendell supports. He’s such a joke.

4. M. Silenus
    February 13, 2008 9:49 am

On the money, PittGirl. It is hard for me to imagine why any governor would say anything so disparaging about his own state, but there you have it. Also, I didn’t so much see Rendell as characterizing just conservatives in PA. It seemed more to me like another desperate attempt by Clinton supporters to marginalize Obama as the “black” candidate. Regardless, all Pennsylvanians should be pissed about Rendell’s remarks.

5. chrys
    February 13, 2008 10:05 am

OMG!! I heard this on the news. He is such the pride of Pennsylvania!! Hillary never has to make derogatory comments about Obama, she has stupid people like Rendell doing it for her. I hate Ed Rendell! What an ass!!

6. toni
    February 13, 2008 10:07 am

Every time Spendell opens his mouth confirms that I was right in voting for Swan for Gov’nah.

7. Goob
    February 13, 2008 10:28 am

Upon reflection, I’m pretty sure I’d care if Barack Obama was a purple people eater in a yellow polka dot bikini (not to mention the good folks at the NAAPP). Although I’d bet the campaign spots would be pretty interesting.

I’d also care greatly if any of the candidates were a star-bellied sneetch.

‘Cause I hate those guys.

8. Leslie
    February 13, 2008 11:10 am

Whoa. Eddie is unbelievable. Thanks… for giving me another reason NOT to support Hillary.

February 13, 2008 11:42 am

I always thought Eddie looks like the guy who’d show up at your door if you owed a grand to your bookie for too long.

I can’t begin to fathom what he meant by that remark, but it certainly shows the brutal political calculations you have to make to get anywhere in Philly/Pa. politics. Don’t fool yourselves into believing other candidates/politicians don’t make the same calculations, they just usually aren’t as blunt/honest about it.

10. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    February 13, 2008 12:48 pm

Eddie’s positioning himself for some big cabinet position if Hilary wins. Either Education or Energy, which is kind of scary if you ask me. People seem to forget that he was mayor of Philly when the school district there, while never steller, took a major nosedive.

11. blee
    February 13, 2008 1:10 pm

Anyone think that maybe he is calling it like it is? I hate to say it but this state is pretty racist.

He didn’t say he was racist, he didn’t say he didn’t like Obama because he is black, he said that Obama may have issues in the state because of this race.

I tend to agree.

Let me state that I am voting for Obama and am not racist at all. But in the middle of this state.. yeah.. some pretty racist people. Same goes for a lot of the blue collar people in this town. I’ve worked on the South Side for years and live in Millvale for a while. Hate to say it, but a lot of people are racist. It’s just sad. But, it’s a fact. A sad, sad, fact.

12. TrolleyRider
    February 13, 2008 1:13 pm

Ed Rendell is too racist to endorse a black candidate, so he endorsed Hillary instead.

And everyone who is a Democrat and listens to Ed and votes for Hillary in the upcoming primary is a racist. Actually, Hillary Clinton is a racist just for having the audacity to run against a black person.

13. yinzerchick
    February 13, 2008 1:35 pm

Yeah, politicians typically describe Pennsylvania as being Alabama in between Pgh and Philly. Jerk wads.

Go Amish!

14. Me
    February 13, 2008 1:43 pm

I’ve also heard it called Pennsyltucky.

How soon before we can vote Eddie-boy out???

15. City Girl
    February 13, 2008 3:25 pm

Shame on the Republicans for running Swann. The guy never even voted himself or held the smallest office and Eddie the Fast has the gall to play the race card. I despise politians! It wasn’t Swanns race that lost him the race. I’m totally sick of race every minute to define every issue.

16. Dan (Not Onarato)
    February 13, 2008 3:37 pm

I dont think we vote Fast Eddie out….hes “serving” *AHEM* his second term and they onyl get two. Am I right on that?

Swann never had a prayer…you cant win because you were a Stiller…and thats all he had going for him.

Fast Eddie endorsed Clinton and at this point shes on a 8-state losing streak….the way Obama is winning, it might be decided by the time PA gets to vote.

I heard Greensburg is the capital of Pennsyltucky…Butler missed out.

17. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    February 13, 2008 3:41 pm

Pretty much every state I’ve lived is talks about the areas between the urban centers in their states as Alabama or Kentucky when talking about their states. That includes Pennsyvlania, Connecticut, New York and now Oregon.

18. Still A Fan
    February 13, 2008 7:22 pm

he’s insane. people paint western pa as racist but i’ve overheard many south philly italians go on the same rant as some of my uncles in western pa. it’s plain ignorance no matter where it occurs. using ed’s warped logic – he forgot to point out then that hillbillies who never vote regularly will come out just to defeat obama? i cant believe i shook his hand once…i turned around at lunch one day and he was standing directly behind me. wasnt his career supposed to be over when he said gore should concede the 2000 vote? he’s like a political cockroach.

19. NotSoNice
    February 13, 2008 7:31 pm

Even if I was someone thinking of voting for “Billary” (Bill and Hillary) I would not now because of the threat that Fast Eddie might just get into the cabinet (and not necessarily the food cabinet).

Has anyone heard that Fast Eddie is going to be sending out Pennsylvania rebate checks to the low income folks of the keystone state in the next coming months …. Has anyone stopped to think that this is another way for Fast Eddie to make himself look good to the downtrodden and to those who would vote someone like Billary in … Just something to ponder

20. justretiredguy
    February 13, 2008 8:18 pm

Ed Rendell is the biggest embarrassment this state has ever had in the Governor mansion.

Here is something to think about. Should Clinton be elected, Ed will no doubt be taking a cabinet position. This will leave the state in the hands of Cahterine Baker Knoll.

21. Greg
    February 14, 2008 9:53 am

Actually Ed was pretty much spot on with his statements.

22. Patrick
    February 14, 2008 11:13 am

Chris Matthews actually had Fast Eddie on Hardball last night talking about this (@13, Matthews brought up the Pgh and Philly w/ Alabama in the middle characterization too). Rendell did a pretty good job explaining his comments, and I’m going to have to give him a pass on this one.

Keep in mind that I’m not a huge fan of Rendell for a number of reasons, but I’ve got to say I think he was pretty accurate in this case. YOU might not care what race Obama is, I might not care, but there are a lot of people in this state (and not just in the middle) who aren’t going to vote for Obama because he’s black. I know some of them.

It’s not just this state though, those people exist all over the country. Plus, there are probably a significant number of men who won’t vote for Hillary because they don’t want a woman as their commander-in-chief. So gender and race play into this campaign on both sides. The question is, can the candidates transcend those issues? So far, I think both have done a pretty job at that — a few bumps in the road notwithstanding.

That said, I really like Obama and I hope he gets the nomination. I think he would be able to do a lot of good in office… not just for our country, but for our global relations as well.

23. Confused Democrat
    March 23, 2008 2:44 pm

The Clinton’s are named defendants in a Civil Fraud Case connected to Campaign Finance irregularities and have not disclosed the appeal of the case. There will be a trial date set at a hearing on April 25th, just 3 days after the key Pennsylvania Primary for the Fraud Case Paul v. Clinton in the Los Angeles Superior Court. Plaintiff says he will call Gov Rendell will be a witness in the case. He probably should not be raising funds for Michigan until he has answered questions about this 2000 Clinton Fundraiser. From what I understand, this case began when prior to Sen. Clinton’s 2000 New York Senate campaign and also raised donations for Pres. Clinton’s Library.

We don’t know the Clinton’s side of the story because they have not disclosed this. But Peter Paul tells his side of the story on Video.

Just Google: “Hillary Uncensored”

Los Angeles Superior Court of Appeals: http://www.lasuperiorcourt.org
    Then click on Civil Case Summaries and enter case number to see case history.
    Case Number: BC304174
    Los Angeles Superior Court Public Information Office at (213) 974-5227.

The GOP has utilized the services of a 527 Citizen’s United to produce a 90 Minute Movie they are already showing to defeat her in the Fall if she wins the nomination. The GOP uses her Fraud Case in their movie as one of many reasons she should not be President.

This is the Movie that the Citizens United has created for the GOP to for the fall.

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_PEHskBuQg