Random n@.

1.  Happy happy Valentine’s Day!  What did you get me, you baloney brains?

2.  Oh, for the LOVE OF GOD!

The Elizabeth Township Sanitary Authority has improved staffing, pumping and flow through its sewage treatment plant as ordered by the Allegheny County Health Department but raw sewage continues to flow into the lower Youghiogheny River.

The highest daily overflow occurred Feb. 6, when an estimated 8.725 million gallons of untreated sewage and storm water bypassed the plant and was discharged into the river. The amount was estimated because the heavy flow flooded out the monitor.

(h/t Toni)

3.  Ed Rendell is backpedaling, and said:

Remember — I always tell the truth.

Oh, Eddie.  Today is Valentine’s Day.  Not Opposite Day, you silly man.

4.  From the PG’s Early Returns blog:

“We must ensure that cruel puppy mills and brutal pigeon shoots are not allowed to flourish in Pennsylvania,” state Humane Society Director Sarah Speed said.

Puppy mills are cruel.  Pigeon shoots REWL!  When I’m governor, I’m going to introduce special legislation that sets specific benchmarks for just how much I expect the pigeon shoots to flourish in Pennsylvania.

(h/t Bram)

5.   An email from reader Morticia:

Yo, PG. So my son who is five was eating lunch today and looking at the valentines he made for his classmates. They are all Power Ranger valentines that say things like “Kick it into high gear! It’s Valentine’s Day” or other such sayings. He says to me, out of the blue, “This one should say, ‘Kick a bird! It’s Valentine’s Day!'” Just thought you’d appreciate that!

I totally appreciate that!

1. Mia`
    February 14, 2008 11:37 am

I believe I speak for at least most of your readers when I say that we’ve all made an extra effort to kick a pigeon today, just for you, just for Valentine’s Day!

2. chrys
    February 14, 2008 11:48 am

I think we should rename Valentine’s Day and call it
    “Kick a Pigeon for Pittgirl Day!” I think it sounds hot!! xoxo

3. Julie
    February 14, 2008 12:43 pm

My now-correctly placed comment:

This is a direct Rendell quote you can find in the article linked from this blog:

“It made me feel so uncomfortable,” he said. “I felt like strangling those people. If I weren’t running for office, I probably would have.”

Sooo… we have a slightly racist governor who would also enjoy strangling his constituents?

Nice.

4. PgherInNYC
    February 14, 2008 12:54 pm

That’s not even the only jaw-dropper in the article. Earlier he says, and I quote:

“What’s so frustrating about this is that in this business, if you give an honest answer, you get skewered for it,” Mr. Rendell said. “If you give the politically correct answer, the press says, ‘Aw, that guy, he’s just a shucker and jiver and never gives a straight answer.’ I get in trouble for telling the truth.”

Um, a SHUCKER and JIVER?

Wow, way to keep diggin’ that racially-charged hole, Eddie.

5. PgherInNYC
    February 14, 2008 12:57 pm

That’s not even the only jaw-dropper in the article. Earlier he says:

Um, a SHUCKER and JIVER?

Wow, way to keep diggin’ that racially-charged hole, Eddie.

6. Bram R
    February 14, 2008 1:26 pm

3. Maybe Rendell always DOES tell the truth. Maybe he just uses careful (Clintonesque?) language, and maybe he does just come out and say what’s up. Who else would have up and told MG they “selectively enforce” the drink tax in Philadelphia? (“You look the other way sir.” Priceless.)

7. I did it AGAIN
    February 14, 2008 3:28 pm

After reading the Fast Eddie back pedal article…I had to laugh at this oaf…again…isn’t the phrase “shuck and jive” considered to be racially negative?

8. Kat
    February 14, 2008 4:07 pm

I’ve never actually heard anyone use the phrase “shuck and jive” except for my dad, who is the whitest man in Whiteville, USA.

9. Jonesin' for Pittgirl
    February 14, 2008 4:08 pm

From Wikipedia: Shuckin’ and jivin’ (or shucking and jiving) is a slang term primarily used by African Americans. It refers to the speech and behavioral mechanisms adopted in the presence of an authority figure [1]. Shuckin’ and jivin’ usually involves clever lies and impromptu storytelling, used to one-up an opponent or avoid punishment [2]. Such behavior is believed to have originated in the era of slavery [3].

Eddie’s just trying to let us know that he’s down with the “hommies” like Scary Naked Bleeding Man. I’m sure he’s constantly being oppressed by the rich, white man.
    Oh wait…

10. Nebby
    February 14, 2008 5:52 pm

So, queen of the insider scoop, is Wendy Bell on the “preggo” (aka the most annoying word in the world) list? Sure looked like it on tonight’s news.

February 14, 2008 5:59 pm

happy valentine’s day, pittgirl — with love from me to you and your blog.

someone told me today, “happy VD” — so, now I’m really concerned…

as for the “gov” (anyone here see “blazing saddles”???) — he’s a donkey omelet.

12. spoon
    February 14, 2008 9:32 pm

unsatisfied is really Hedley Lamarr

13. just wonderin..
    February 14, 2008 10:26 pm

nebby.. I was wondering about another Wendy pregnancy too. About 2 weeks ago I noticed a bit of a (maybe) baby bump.. another hated wor/phrase..LOL

14. Still A. Fan
    February 14, 2008 11:03 pm

maaaaaaaaan, i was all excited that i’d be first to point out “shucking -n- jiving”. rats.

ok, how about the fact that mr. madonna was involved? is guy ritchie’s film career so bad that he’s being called mr. madonna now? no sequel to the beach movie?

15. Preach on sister
    February 14, 2008 11:55 pm

You rock my socks. I hail from the nearby land of east pittsburghish suburbia. However, I spent 2 years schlepping to and fro down the east busway at 5 a.m. commuting to a little land of fantasy called The Art Institute of Pittsburgh. This was in a time when tawanda carlisle was still the messiah and bill peduto had grey hair. We were sent to photograph the city council meetings on assignment – mayor luke (before he was king) used to doodle and make eyes at me and shuffle his papers, twirl in his chair – etc. And now in a weird doogie-howser spin off he marches around city hall playing mayor. Loved the bit about the isolated shower a few posts back.

I hope someday we meet and go pigeon kicking.

16. A
    February 15, 2008 7:51 am

Wow. Pigeon shoots “rewl”. That right there shows the reliability of your blog. Pigeons actually are not the disease-ridden animals they have the reputation of being. They are birds that carry out their lives, have children, feel pain, suffer, and die.
    Read a bit more about the pigeon shoots and that it entails many men shooting caged and tethered birds and laughing as they struggle on the ground and flap in pain, unable to fly. The cruelty involved in the pigeon shoot is far worse than you seem to understand (obviously, with such a post like this).
    And also, if you think pigeons are a problem, you should read about the diseases farmed chickens are bringing into the country. You are more likely to get a disease from your plate than a pigeon.

Please be more considerate last time instead of shaming Pittsburgh with such comments.

17. Dan (Not Onarato)
    February 15, 2008 7:52 am

Yes…Wendy Bell is “El Preggo” according to the Post Gazettes own Rob Owen (TV Q&A). Shes due in August…Dr. Joe is a lucky lucky man….

I wonder if they play the Doogie Houser theme music when he walks through City Halls…

18. Rachel K.
    February 15, 2008 8:26 am

Ewwww…. Puppies are cute, therefore puppy mills are “bad.” Pigeons poop, therefore let’s encourage the ignorant masses to go “kick a pigeon.” Ever been to a pigeon shoot? You’d probably feel right at home judging by the above comments…. They’re full of drunk, gambling rednecks in KKK baseball caps (not a non-white face for miles in ‘dem parts of PA…) shooting at dazed birds who’ve been caged and starved for weeks on end. They release them from the traps and the poor birds waddle onto the field and/or struggle into the air only to get shot in the wing or something, they’re rarely clean-killed. I saw one group of your kindred spirits fighting below a tree branch that an injured bird had flown into. It was dripping blood onto them and these guys (mostly) were frenzied. Finally the bird fell and was caught by the tallest jerk-off. The catcher then proceeded to bite its head off…

Ewww… how funny. How fucking cool is that. What an awesome thing to be associated with.

Get a life. Have a heart. Get educated. Seriously.

19. Rachel K.
    February 15, 2008 11:09 am

Re – pigeons….

Uh, PG and co., you’re all wrong, we do have a sense of humor… It’s like, I think the drinks tax is hilarious. No seriously, I belly ache over it till i cry… Duh!

The fact is that when you make fun of fucked-up animal-related things whether it’s pigeon shoots or factory farms, you’re going to draw ire from anyone who’s actually seen this stuff. Which I’m going to presume is not any of you so far.

And no, I don’t eat other animals, sorry that question lacks originality. Just for the record, here’s the top 5 list of things (not necessarily in order of popularity) people to say to people who stand up for animals who aren’t cats and dogs, so you can work on some new ones:

– are your shoes leather? [no…]
    – bet you eat other animals [no…]
    – get a life [define “life”…]
    – mmm, I’m going to eat me a big fat burger [‘n’ you’re going to get you a big fat heart attack…]
    – what about the unborn babies? [eh, we like them on toast with a dab of olive oil…]

Have a nice day, nat…

February 15, 2008 11:35 am

spoon — at least you said “hedley” and not “hedy”……..

now — time for a pigeon shoot….