PittGirl gets hate mail.

Reader “A” recently posted to the comments of this post in which I declare that “pigeon shoots REWL!”

Wow. Pigeon shoots “rewl”. That right there shows the reliability of your blog. Pigeons actually are not the disease-ridden animals they have the reputation of being. They are birds that carry out their lives, have children, feel pain, suffer, and die.

Read a bit more about the pigeon shoots and that it The cruelty involved in the pigeon shoot is far worse than you seem to understand (obviously, with such a post like this). And also, if you think pigeons are a problem, you should read about the diseases farmed chickens are bringing into the country. You are more likely to get a disease from your plate than a pigeon.

Please be more considerate last time instead of shaming Pittsburgh with such comments.

1. I’m burning in hell because I swear swear swear on my brown leather high-heeled do-me boots that as soon as I read the phrase “entails many men shooting caged and tethered birds and laughing as they struggle on the ground and flap in pain, unable to fly.” I laughed.

Someone has seriously spiked my coffee, right Scary Naked Bleeding Man? That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

2. I agree it does show the “reliability of [my] blog” because you can count on me not ever feeling sorry for a pigeon. I’m a rock.

3. Tarantulas carry out their lives, have children, feel pain, suffer, and die, too. I’ll still shoot the legs off of any tarantula that dares to come within a mile of my person. Survival of the fittest.

4. My hatred of pigeons has nothing to do with the fact, yes, the fact that they can carry disease. It has to do with the fact that THEY DIVE-BOMB ME AND POOP ON ME AND HATE MY GUTS AS MUCH AS I HATE THEIRS.

5. I don’t doubt for one minute that if they were given the means and the ability to do it, that the pigeons of the world would catapult PittGirl into the sky and shoot me down, laughing as I flailed helplessly to the ground bleeding profusely from a wide variety of bullet holes.

6. Also, look, reader Brian emailed me a picture he took of a one-legged pigeon in Staten Island!

7.  UPDATE:  Another one:

Ewwww…. Puppies are cute, therefore puppy mills are “bad.” Pigeons poop, therefore let’s encourage the ignorant masses to go “kick a pigeon.” Ever been to a pigeon shoot? You’d probably feel right at home judging by the above comments…. They’re full of drunk, gambling rednecks in KKK baseball caps (not a non-white face for miles in ‘dem parts of PA…) shooting at dazed birds who’ve been caged and starved for weeks on end. They release them from the traps and the poor birds waddle onto the field and/or struggle into the air only to get shot in the wing or something, they’re rarely clean-killed. I saw one group of your kindred spirits fighting below a tree branch that an injured bird had flown into. It was dripping blood onto them and these guys (mostly) were frenzied. Finally the bird fell and was caught by the tallest jerk-off. The catcher then proceeded to bite its head off…

Ewww… how funny. How fucking cool is that. What an awesome thing to be associated with.

I guess it was only a matter of time before the pigeon lovers who apparently don’t have a shred of a sense of humor came after me.

1. fugly
    February 15, 2008 9:42 am

Jeez….some people just can’t get a joke. I guess we should stop telling people to get a drink whenever the Mayor uses those ever so inspiring words…we don’t want to promote alcoholism you know. LEARN TO TAKE A FRIGGIN JOKE PEOPLE GAWD!

2. Dan (Not Onarato)
    February 15, 2008 9:44 am

Frickin tree-huggin pigeon lovin hippies

3. Becky
    February 15, 2008 9:45 am

PittGirl…not that you don’t already know this…but you rock

4. Dan (Not Onarato)
    February 15, 2008 9:46 am

wait wait wait a fricking minute…the more important thing is PittBirl has brown leather high heeled do me boots?

I think that deserves a “MROWL humina humina”

Testify.

5. BagitTagit
    February 15, 2008 9:51 am

Where are these people when we’re busting on Cyril Wecht? You realize we have pigeon apologists but no apologists for our own national treasure Cyril Wecht.

This is why I can’t have my own blog. Why can’t people just have a sense of humor. People are dumb. While I would never condone a “whiney dumb people shoot,” if you replace the words “whiney dumb people” everywhere it says “pigeon/bird” in those comments it’s really funny.

“Whiney Dumb People” actually are not the disease-ridden animals they have the reputation of being…

…They release them from the traps and the poor “Whiney Dumb People” waddle onto the field and/or struggle into the air only to get shot in the wing or something…

6. spoon
    February 15, 2008 9:55 am

Personally I think that the pigeon is like the annoying coworker. It serves no purpose besides to bug me and shit on my head. And then follow me around until I finally kick it.

Well thank God that no one working for the mayor will ever know of this email since they can’t access your site for the super high secure mystery firewall Websence of DEATH.

7. Pingback: Baseball » PittGirl gets hate mail.

8. dwight
    February 15, 2008 10:09 am

I don’t agree with you about eradicating pigeons, PG. But, until I give up eating cow, pig, and chicken (which I know can live and die in horrible ways and conditions), I can’t criticize or judge. … I just wonder about the eating habits of those letter writers. Hmmm?

9. Susan Helene Gottfried
    February 15, 2008 11:50 am

Pigeons have children?

Wow. That’s some feat.

10. Jono
    February 15, 2008 1:15 pm

PittGirl,

I really feel I need to remind everyone of the reason of one of Dick Cheney’s few visits to our area.

A few years ago, he came to the Rolling Rock Club near Ligonier to go bird “hunting.” They weren’t pigeons, but they were birds that were caged until right before the big Dick got to shoot at them.

I’d shoot a pigeon any day of the week!

-Jono

11. Ashley Ann
    February 15, 2008 1:59 pm

obviously the ppl sending you comments have frequented the pigeon shoots since they describe them in such detail and seem to know what exactly goes on in them, can we say guilty conscience?? pittgirl i think ur getting msg from secret pigeon shooters!!!

12. Me
    February 15, 2008 2:18 pm

What Dwight said.

13. justretiredguy
    February 16, 2008 6:17 pm

This person has never been to a pigeon shoot.