Random n@.

1. Today is President’s Day. I’ma buy me a mattress.

Not really.

Also? If you’re really going to buy a mattress? Original Mattress Factory. Trust me.

2. So I asked Wendy Bell if she’s going to bring back Wendy Bell’s Baby Blog and her response is “I don’t know yet.” She cited reasons such as the time factor and also the privacy factor:

It’s one thing to write without anyone knowing who you are — but to be out there for all to see — it’s different.

That’s why I’m anonymous. It drives the minions nuts and it keeps the stalkers at bay.

She should just call it “Wendy Bell’s Baby Blog by Anonymous.”

Problem solved.

3. Lukey has declared war on snow.

How awesome would it have been if Lukey had actually literally said, “I declare war on snow!”

Can I ask, there has been snow in Pittsburgh for countless winters. Has snow plowing ever been such a political hotspot before, so much that the mayor actually has to declare war on it? Geez. When I’m mayor it will be “Plow my street so I can get to the office, then PLOW ALL THE DAMN STREETS BY THE TIME I GET TO THE OFFICE OR YOU’RE FIRED.” Salt truck drivers would be whipping down the streets doing 80.

Problem solved.

(h/t to BagItTagIt who wrote, “Obviously I know you’ll be posting this, but seriously, could there BE a better headline to make fun of?” Yes. Mayor Declares War on Weather. )

4. Scary Naked Bleeding Man is now the subject of a HILARIOUS shirt.

(h/t Sara)

5. An email:

People for Pigeons wrote:

Please help us celebrate National Pigeon Day on June 13th.

See our site: www.peopleforpigeons.com

National Pigeon Day sounds like a great day to kick a pigeon.

Here’s a little screencap from their right-hand news bar:

I can’t even adequately express to you what my trigger finger is doing right now. It’s like, having a seizure.

(h/t Amber, who I think may have added me to their mailing list because that is one IRONIC email I got)

6. Reader Carrot wrote:

haters are amusing, don’t let them get to you! If these folks actually read the animal cruelty statutes they would know most of it doesn’t even cover pigeons, except maybe the passage where one of the few restricted means of destroying pest/nuisance animals is “by means of a high altitude decompression chamber or decompression device.” Which is a shame, cuz I would bet that would totally be a hit on youtube.

It SO WOULD!

1. lolo
    February 18, 2008 4:09 pm

Matress Factory rocks.

2. In Sewickley
    February 18, 2008 4:16 pm

She’s alive! My workday on Presidents Day had been boring until my co-worker said, “Hey [my name], PittGirl updated.”

And then we each laughed — almost simulataneously — at the same things.

haha.

3. scottie
    February 18, 2008 4:37 pm

That’s awesome. The Wendy Bell’s Baby Blog by Anonymous had me snorting (i’ll be she pees just a little when she sees it).

4. megan
    February 18, 2008 4:40 pm

I 2nd (or 3rd) the Original Mattress Factory – best mattresses!

5. Missy
    February 18, 2008 4:57 pm

I miss Wendy Bell’s blog. I really hope that she brings it back. It’s a shame that people were so cruel to her.

6. Bram R
    February 18, 2008 5:16 pm

The War on Weather. Brilliant.

7. STL WENDY FAN!
    February 18, 2008 5:29 pm

I would love to see Wendy’s blog return, at least until her baby comes. but not if it would be a threat to her safety.

8. justretiredguy
    February 18, 2008 8:48 pm

Luke’s already kicking ass in his War on the Truth. Maybe he can lie the snow into submission.

9. honda driver
    February 18, 2008 11:33 pm

the only thing missing on the naked man t-shirt is a hole in his sock. btw – i love original mattress factory!

10. Ravishing Rick
    February 19, 2008 12:45 am

Pittsburgh

11. BagitTagit
    February 19, 2008 9:19 am

In his first public address discussing the matter, the mayor stressed, while not explicitly authorized by the National Weather Service, this effort is supported by a coalition of the willing.

“I have brought ‘Heat-Mizer’ on board as my Secretary of Defense and we’re in talks with Canada about additional shovels.” Said the mayor.

When asked about the Mayors plan, Canada reiterated their support.

Said the prime minister, “It’s cold as F*&k up here!”

Asked if this was a broad based effort or simply an attempt to capture and kill Cold-Mizer, the mayor offered, “While this effort will not stop with the capture of Cold-Mizer, there is a sign outside my office with a picture of him and the words: Wanted, Dead or Alive.”

The cold-threat level has been raised…er… lowered to blue.

12. Brother Anthony
    February 19, 2008 10:43 am

Funny stuff, BagitTagit.

13. Brian
    February 19, 2008 11:03 am

1. Jesus, speaking of Presidents Day and buying crap, I don’t even know what automaker was running this ad because I was so blinding angry at it and sick of it, I didn’t note who was looping, “The president of the United States of America” at the start of this irritating thing. But it’s the one where they have the hip-hop remix of “Hail to the Chief.” Someone melt whatever hard drive, whatever piece of film, whatever 1980s laser disc, whatever anything holds the master copy of that ad. Please! I’ll eat the thing if I have to. That ad was on 650 times last night during dinner and it’s not edgy, it’s not cute, it’s not clever, it’s not fun. It’s annoying. I hate it. I HATE IT!

14. Jenn
    February 19, 2008 12:25 pm

@Bag Funny, yet I feel as if a few “move forward”s need to be sprinkled in for good measure. You know, just to keep up appearances.

15. Bulldog
    February 19, 2008 12:34 pm

Brian, I couldn’t agree with you more. It was GM that was running that seemingly endless loop of crap for a week. It was made worse by the fact that they used to sell every line of vehicle they make…Chevy cars, Chevy trucks, GMC trucks, etc.

Totally annoying.

16. chrys
    February 19, 2008 1:38 pm

2. I miss the Wendy Bell blog too!! I really enjoyed it. My daughters are the same age as her 2 older sons.. so it always made me laugh. She shoukd definately bring it back.

4. I.. must.. have.. that.. shirt!! it’s too funny!

17. Doug
    February 20, 2008 2:10 pm

War or not, you gotta wonder what the current street clearing priority is when thoroughfares like Baum Blvd, Centre and Liberty Aves — all main East End streets with major hospitals on them — looked as though they had not seen a plow all day. If we’re not clearing the streets where emenrgency vehicles have to go, what is being cleared? Tawanda is gone so she’s not monopolizing the entire public works department and handing out cash kickbacks for clearing her street and then her momma’s and then all her homeys’