Random n@.

1. For those of you no longer living here, it’s snowing again. Three inches. So that of course means we Burghers have been watching random local news video of salt trucks till we’re ready to stab our eyeballs out.

Reader Nancy wrote:

I think WPXI wins today – what in the heck is “freezing fog”? I was darn near afraid to walk out of my house today for fear of accidentally walking into some large frozen mass face-first.

They must sit up and night thinking these things up.

Freezing fog? Maybe that’s what you get when frizzle freezes!

2. WTAE sent Marci Cipriani to get her hair made over by a local hairdresser who will be doing celebrities’ hair styles at the Oscars this weekend.

Here’s her before and after:

Fug! I could achieve the same results with my tongue and a light socket.

I’m sorry, but put Marci in a robe and hand her a coffee mug and yeah, that’s pretty much how she probably looks when she wakes up in the morning.

(h/t Pix)

3. Reader Eileen informed me of this awesome site Pittsburghese.com.

The Pittsburghese Calisthenics made me laugh.

4. Have you checked out some of the dumb/outdated laws on the law books in Pennsylvania?

In Allentown, there is a ban on men becoming aroused in public.

Sally Wiggin better stay the heck away from Allentown!

Also:

A person is not eligible to become Governor if he/she has participated in a duel.

Curses! Foiled again!

And in West Virginia:

It is legal for a male to have sex with an animal as long as it does not exceed 40 lbs.

Good ole’ West Virginia. Come to West Virginia! You can have sex with a dog, just not a horse.

(h/t Burgher in Arkansas where a man can legally beat his wife, but not more than once a month.)

5. So who’s winning the war? Lukey or snow? Reader DW wrote:

According to Marty Griffith and the callers, Luke is WINNING the War on Snow! People said they haven’t seen service like this in 30 years, 30 years I tell ya! Snicker….it’s a love fest on Marty’s show today.

Damn it! Don’t fail me now, snow!

Team Snow!

6. The KeepOn videos have been POPPED-UP with awesome nuggets of info! Check them all out here, here, and here.

(h/t Mandy)

7.  The Pens just keep on winning.  And I love it.

8.  One of my hottest Facebook friends Leo sent me a link to this site that has got some interesting info about poop.  Some things about poop:

• Bird poop is white because birds can’t pee. Can you imagine if the pigeons peed, too?  Really,  imagine it.  And try not to vomit.
  • Dousing their poop with hot sauce will make your dog not eat his own poop.  Unless it’s PittGirl’s terrier.  That dog will eat his own poop covered in hot sauce and haughtily look up at me mid-bite to inquire if madam has got anything stronger than the habanero sauce currently tickling his taste buds. My dog is gross. Poop facts are funny.

1. In Sewickley
    February 22, 2008 11:13 am

Oh yes, the Disaster of 2008 that Channel 4 played up for so long this morning was so worth it.

I got to my car and didn’t even need to use the scrape side of the scraper. The brush got all the ice off. The way in which the local stations reacted to this storm was funny.

Kelly Frey was so serious and alert with her threatening sentences about how it is so wickedly horrible outside. And poor Marci Cipriani, no wonder she had a hat on the morning Death Alert 2008 special report. Kelly said Marci needed the hat because of the snow. And they had her on Forbes saying how the roads were clear.

Good to hear. Now give me Good Morning America, damn it!

2. coach99
    February 22, 2008 11:20 am

which one was the before and which the after????

3. Bill
    February 22, 2008 11:27 am

The screen names of the participants of this site are a howl!!! http://www.poopreport.com/ Probably NSFW. There are some extremely funny stories there.

February 22, 2008 12:07 pm

#1: ok — I know that some local tv personalities peruse the burgh blog — so, I am addressing this to you:

STOP. WITH. THE. FOUR-HOUR. NEWSCASTS. WHEN. IT. SNOWS.

PLEASE.

unless it’s going to snow like st. patrick’s day week 1993 or some shit like that — ENOUGH.

we have KDKA on the CW, PCNC and channel 4’s weather channel. can’t y’all cover this “ooh, we’re gonna get 3 inches and some freezing fog” BS over on those channels?

I personally think that all of this over-coverage contributed to mars area schools (where I live) closing today when there is NO problem driving around.

#2: marcy — DEFINITELY keep the “before” look.

5. Erik
    February 22, 2008 12:15 pm

We got about four inches here in Cincinnati last night. This caused my usual 12-minute commute to take an hour. I never thought that I would find a place where people who should damn well know better freak out worse about snow than in Pittsburgh, but Cincinnati really takes the cake.

I am, of course, referring here to the Retard Cake.

6. Pingback: Facebook » Random n@.

7. jason
    February 22, 2008 12:23 pm

we got hit with snow last night as well, but i don’t think mayor bloomberg declared an all out war…i guess he’s trying to remain neutral just in case he decides to run.

8. Leslie
    February 22, 2008 12:29 pm

1 – Demitrius will slice through frozen fog with his frizzle ANY day. Bring it, WPXI.

2 – Before. Really.

4 – WTF, WV?

5 – Snow will win. Patience, minions.

7 – Can I get a hell yeah?

8 – Don’t feel bad, PG. My dog eats litter covered cat poop. I threw up a little bit in my mouth just typing that.

9. Me
    February 22, 2008 1:00 pm

Unsatisfied — AMEN! Preach it! Two inches of snow in FEBRUARY in WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA is NOT news! This is NOT Florida. It is NOT July. Those would be NEWS. Two inches and some ice is AN ANNOYANCE. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE STOP THE MADNESS LOCAL MEDIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. plexxer
    February 22, 2008 1:12 pm

To assist Mayor Luke with his war on snow, I have developed a color-coded alert system ala the terror-alert system.

We are currently at level: white.

11. eileen
    February 22, 2008 1:50 pm

I don’t care who declared war on what. All I know is that I just came from walking my dog and for the first time in 8 years, 8 YEARS, there was a salt truck riding down my street.
    They were even driving down the alleys.
    I haven’t watched the news but I’m thinking there were news trucks at the bottom of Lukey’s street this morning checking what time salt trucks arrived there.
    What have these guys been doing all these years?
    #2. Oh my God, maybe Marci should have a make over with one of the plastic surgeons to the stars. Wow,that nose!

12. Suz
    February 22, 2008 2:24 pm

Plexxer — re: your color coded snow alert system —

Love it. Just brilliant.

13. Pensgirl
    February 22, 2008 2:33 pm

2. Wait, was she being styled for the Oscars or for the Miss Texas pageant? The best thing about my hairstylist is that she would sooner die than do that to somebody.

4. One of my all-time faves is the one about looking at a moose from an airplane in Alaska. How do you bust someone for that? “Were you looking at that moose?” “What moose? I didn’t see any moose! Wait! Hey officer, were you looking at a moose…?”

7. How do we love Geno? Let us count the points….

14. Puma
    February 22, 2008 2:42 pm

WPXI’s extended weathercast was running on fuems by 7:15 a.m.

That’s when Trisha Pittman explained what the speed/time estimates meant on the traffic map. After all these years, I never put the two together. I figured that it always took 45 mins from the airport to downtown, and that speed limit was 28 mph.

She also cautioned: “That if the average, estimated speeds that WPXI gathers are higher than the roadway’s posted speed limit, that’s not an endorsement of speeding.”

Please join me on 79 north tomorrow just so they’ll have to say “Its smooth sailing on the Parkway North, with an average speed of 120 mph and a crisp 5 minute ride from Wexford to Downtown.”

Besides, the “Today Show” was at a ski resort, and you never know when Matt Lauer & Al Roker will do the two-man luge again? http://thebestsportsblog.com/images/todayshow.JPG

15. justretiredguy
    February 22, 2008 2:51 pm

Marci’s after picture looks like Christopher Walkin.

16. Dan (Not Onarato)
    February 22, 2008 3:21 pm

Must be a slow sweeps week…thank goodness for the Blizzards of the Week of Feb 18, 2008

17. wshicldtel
    February 22, 2008 3:42 pm

Poor Dee Thompson reporting live from the salt pile at 5am on Wednesday morning!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why does he always get the great ones?

18. Mrs Pitsberger
    February 22, 2008 3:56 pm

Forget Marci’s hair and nose. Did she beat up Marcia Brady for that shirt?

19. Kevin
    February 22, 2008 4:30 pm

Marci’s hair looks like crap in both of the pictures. She must be the dumpiest looking reporter in Pittsburgh.

20. parkingchair
    February 22, 2008 5:37 pm

Based on those photos, I have to ask – is Marcy related to Nick Nolte?

ps.Wish me a Happy Birthday, PittGirl Nation!

21. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    February 22, 2008 5:59 pm

Um, I miss snow (please don’t jump on me). Here in Portland, OR (despite this past week of sun and 50 degree weather), we usually have 8 months of grey, rain and cold (it actually comes back tonight and probably won’t leave until June). It’s kind of funny when 1-2 inches of snow shut down an ENTIRE CITY for three day (happened last year). I know I could drive to Mt. Hood through July and see snow, but there really is something to be said about 7:00 p.m., street lights and the big snow flakes painting a winter wonderland. Even though the St. Patrick’s parade weekend of 93 brought tons and tons of snow and despite my uncle having a massive heart attak and dying that weekend, I have some rather good memories of those five days before the city got back to normal.

22. PittCheMBA
    February 22, 2008 10:43 pm

#1 – I think everyone is tired of the overblown bad weather coverage. The weather forecasters create new slick weather words. The newscasters create the ultimate in doom and gloom. I do not want the hype, just tell me the real story.

23. Mikey
    February 22, 2008 10:53 pm

Snow coverage got really out of hand this week on the local news. I caught Keith Jones this morning talking about the Canadian Geese that hang out on the North Shore and how they cuddle up in a little ball to keep warm.

You know they all just hate life when their bosses tell them they have to start at 4:30 to report on all the snow BS. Dee Thompson definetely gets the worst live shots out of anyone in the entire city. If there was ever a war on US soil and Pittsburgh was the front line, Dee would have a PXI microphone and his battle gear ready to interview grenades.

Marci’s hair makeover was one of the most ridiculous pieces I’ve seen in a while. Snow coverage was better than that. In honor of her awesome Oscar hair…here’s a picture of her accepting her “Best Hair” Oscar.

Your blog is the greatest is Pittsburgh by the way PittGirl. I’m a fan.

24. Ed Heath
    February 23, 2008 7:08 am

Marci Cipriani’s hair is short, that’s the problem. When you have short hair, there aren’t many options for styling. Unfortunately, big hair circa 1983 is one of them.

25. Gunn Lino
    February 23, 2008 8:38 am

Knowing I’m late to the party …….. Marci Ciprianis hair thing was/is a disaster, she should sue really, both the photos look like DUI mug shots.

26. Sooska
    February 23, 2008 10:41 am

#2 Marci just needs a cig hanging out the side of her mouth and an Iron in hand. If she really liked it wouldn’t she smile? WHAT is that she’s wearing?

27. Ravishing Rick
    February 24, 2008 2:36 am

I think the one on the right with the Hair Make Over is really PittGirl.

28. JamieO
    February 25, 2008 11:06 am

Freezing fog is a real thing. It’s basically just what is says it is – fog that forms with the temp below freezing. It’s been talked about on weather forecasts for years, so it’s not a new thing. It can cause a light glaze of ice that can make roads dangerous, especially when one is in the way of God’s righteous plan to kill SUV drivers who believe their vehicle makes them immune to icy roads. But I digress.

I am interested in the weather (there are more of us out there – scary, I know). But I know of the obsession Pittsburgh media has with weather and hyping it. They park some reporter in front of a pile of salt – that’s my fav. I am also waiting to hear “WTAE exclusive – Wendy Bell interviews the upcoming storm and tell us what it’s going to do to our rush hour, next at six.”

29. DeutschtownFrau
    February 25, 2008 11:40 am

Hey, yinz stop hatin’ on Marci! I’d never seen her before this post, cuz I don’t watch local news, ever ever ever — gave it up for Lent 10 years ago and found spiritual bliss.

BUT it’s clear from even those poorly lit photos that she’s an attractive gal — great bones, great jawline, nice eyes. She just looks a bit grim — and what intelligent woman wouldn’t, when her employer makes her undergo stupid stunts like this?

I wouldn’t want to be in her shoes, reading some of those snarky comments above…

30. BBM
    February 25, 2008 12:51 pm

Did we ever actually get any of that snow that we were warned about?

31. Dan (Not Onarato)
    February 25, 2008 4:28 pm

which time BBM?

32. BurgherinArkansas
    February 25, 2008 5:48 pm

Just in case anyone was worried my Arkansan husband, has never hit me…ever..he knows better:)

33. BurgherinArkansas
    February 25, 2008 5:52 pm

Sooska- If Marci had a cig hangin out of her mouth with a housecoat on she would look like Cheri O”Terri in her SNL skit where she tells kids to stay off her lawn

February 25, 2008 5:57 pm

it’s one thing when people say the word (and I say that loosely) “yinz”.

it’s another when someone TYPES it.

as for marcy — I’m sure that she’s a nice gal. and, I know she was just doin’ her job — but, she looks like a crack whore.

35. Preach on sister
    February 26, 2008 8:52 am

Oh the hair … It’s so wendy bell. I think they are creating copies of each other. But no one will ever be able to fill the headshot that the late great patty burns’ hair created.

It was like putting Reba McEntire in a sensible pantsuit and a parka and giving her a foamy microphone.

36. avisualtinkle
    February 29, 2008 6:07 pm

Poor Lukey, he may have done “ok” with his first battle but snow definately won today. It took me a frickin hour to get from point breeze to Highland Park. I didn’t see a single salt truck the entire (<3miles) way, not on penn, not on east liberty blvd, not on highland.