Dear sister of PittGirl,

Good morning, sister! Today feels like a good day, no?

The snow is fresh and new and not quite so dirty anymore.  The air feels clean.  The city feels alive.  The coffee tastes like the right amount of crack.  My dog didn’t roll in deer poop today because he prefers his deer poop to be fresh and not frozen. It feels like a good day to look around our city, take a deep breath, and ask WHAT THE HELL WERE THE PENGUINS THINKING!?!

When you texted me yesterday informing me that the Pens had traded Colby Armstrong and Erik Christensen, I’m pretty sure you were crying, or at the very least on the verge of crying … and I bet you were already drinking over this horrible news.

This was my brain in the space of seconds after I read your text:

1.  Noooo!

2.  WTF?

3.  Really?

4.  Not Colby Armstrong!

5.  Does that mean they’ll stop playing that awesome BMW commercial?

6.  How does Sid feel about this, what with Colby being his best friend and all?

7.  We better be getting Wayne Gretzky’s clone for this!

8.  Where’s a kickable pigeon when I need one, damn it!?

9.  I bet the scientologists have something to do with this.

10.  When is David Conrad going to show up and comfort me?

So after texting with you for a bit, I ended up in Buckhead Saloon last night with my best friend for a quick drink just as the Pens game was winding down.  It was there I learned that the trade acquired us Marian Hossa.

You know, Marian Hossa?

I had no frickin’ clue who Marian Hossa is other than he is NOT Colby Armstrong or Erik Christensen or David Conrad or any of my husbands.

But today, I’ve read up on this newest Penguin and I’m pretty sure you and I will be in love with him by mid-March.  I’m halfway there already.

Don’t fret, sister of PittGirl.  It is going to be okay.  Also?  He’s kinda hot:

Check this out.   I particularly liked :40.

Peace,

PittGirl

February 27, 2008 10:22 am

quite the bold move by ray shero and the pens. it takes me back to when we traded for paul coffey, larry murphy, etc.

and, as much as I hate losing armstrong and christiansen — along with angelo esposito, our #1 pick last year — this could work out pretty well for the pens.

it gives crosby what he needs on his line — a sniper. I just hope that hossa shows up in the playoffs.

boy, it’d be interesting to see the succos be so bold and make this kind of trade to make their team better. of course, we have to trade talent for talent, so there goes that idea….

2. Still A. Fan
    February 27, 2008 10:24 am

why is he posing with one of angelina jolie’s kids?

3. spoon
    February 27, 2008 10:44 am

Here’s my take on the whole trade thing that went down yesterday.

1) Hal Gill – love love LOVE this pickup. he is the guy that I hate to play against but always wanted on our team. We gave up a 2nd and 5th round pick. wooptie friggin doo. From what I’ve seen of the 08 Draft Class there isn’t much to brag about which leads me to #2

2) Marian Hossa and Pascal Dupuis – I can live with ditching the 1st round pick and Angelo Esposito. If Angelo does well down the road that’s fine but on a team waist deep with young centers there was no room for him.

Colby and Erik. hmmm I really hate to see Colby go and fans have a right to be upset. He was one of my favorites and it reminded me of when the Pirates traded Tony Pena back in 87. But this is a business and as much as I hate to quote that slug Mark Madden “chemistry doesn’t score goals, Hossa scores goals”. This deal would not have been done if Colby and Erik were not included.

It’s obvious that Shero wants to make a run for the cup this year. When you think about the potential lines you can’t help but get chills.

Staal – Crosby – Hossa
    Malone – Malkin – Sykora
    Taffe – Talbot – Pascal
    Ruutu – Kennedy – Laraque

Gonchar – Sydor
    Gill – Letang
    Scuderi – Whitney
    Orpik – Ghost of Ian Moran

4. chrys
    February 27, 2008 11:44 am

My husband has assured me this is an AWESOME trade… it still makes me sad that Colby is gone, but I have to agree, Marian Hossa = total cutie… and not bad with the puck either..LOL!

5. Bob
    February 27, 2008 11:44 am

In that second picture (gray t-shirt), he looks like the bastard child of Danny Bonaduce and Donny Most.

6. Brother Anthony
    February 27, 2008 11:49 am

“9. I bet the scientologists have something to do with this.”

I say we protest. I’ll prepare the reusable Giant Eagle bags.

7. DW
    February 27, 2008 12:27 pm

I like it, bold move and signals mngt feels that the “re-building” phase is over and it’s time to go for it all. The Eastern Conference has looked rather weak, especially in the last few weeks, and we should be the favorites to emerge from it now.

Hate seeing Colby go but it’s the same as losing Recchi, Cullen and Stevens years ago, Jagr to a degree, Kaspar, etc. It’s a business and the players understand that. And Colby/Christensen weren’t putting up super numbers…Colby had 24 pts, Crusher had 20. Newbie Hal Gill, the defenseman from awful Toronto had 20 pts himself…

8. Pensgirl
    February 27, 2008 12:30 pm

Even assuming that we win it all this year and re-sign Hossa for a bargain price, it’s still totally OK to miss Colby. You can know something is good and still be sad about it. That’s how it was with Johnny Cullen.

Personally, I think it’s kind of weird that we traded Colby but acquired Dupuis, who is basically the same type of player. I find that a head-scratcher. There’s no on-ice benefit to doing that with “grinders,” and Colby was beloved by his teammates (not just Sid, but everybody).

I sure hope Hossa and Sid have chemistry on a line. Sometimes good or even great players just don’t work together. Fingers crossed that doesn’t happen here.

Oh well, We’ll see what happens. Fingers crossed…

9. On the fence
    February 27, 2008 12:42 pm

So I was devastated when I got the call about the trade…and I was on the bus with the good ol’ drunk guys that offer me beer from their giant eagle bags. Almost had to partake but instead, I called my father who does business with the Pens and said “you call them right now and demand answers”. Then I too heard about Hossa and Gill. Starting to like it a little more but my first real thought about all this was exactly like yours Pittgirl…

does this mean no more A&L commercial or the FSN one where he points and says “eh”

Thank god for youtube.

Ps…awesome trade and Pens are DEF trying to go all the way this year.

10. back in the burgh
    February 27, 2008 2:05 pm

We’ll miss Colby – he was a ‘locker room’ guy, as well as a good player. But, I also like what this signifies … that the Pens are ready to go for it this year. We needed someone like Gill on D, so I think that’s a great addition. Yes, keep your fingers crossed!

11. jenn
    February 27, 2008 9:37 pm

Yesterday i was crushed no more colby.

today was crushed by death of myron i forgot about trade for awhile.

saw your utube and your pics half way in lust with hossa. if he brings lord stanley home i’ll be all the way.

now, still crushed about colby. isnt’colby a free agent this summer also. maybe he’ll come home. eh