Random n@.

1. I said “slippy” twice yesterday. I NEVER say “slippy” mostly due to the fact that when I went to college I made a very intentional effort to lose my Burgh accent and to banish certain words from my vocabulary. Words like gumband, buggy, yinz, redd up, pop, slippy. I got tired of the odd looks, ya know?

That was then. This is now. Once you leave the Burgh and come back, you come back more of a Burgher than when you left. You come back and you EMBRACE those words and you throw them around proudly. I am a Burgher. Hear me raw-wer!

So while I unintentionally almost never use Burgh words in my everyday speaking, yesterday, slippy just kept slipping out.

I think maybe subconsciously I’m honoring the late, great Myron Cope and that very inherent, lovable, embraceable Burghiness that he carried in his heart and proudly let be heard by anyone that was fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of his spoken word.

Two things that Burghers far and wide are emailing me:

• We must get our Terrible Towels out of our closets and fly them now.
  • There must be a statue.

I agree.

2. EDIT: Darn it! It’s been removed.

Square peg. Round hole. Date with PittGirl.

It made me laugh, you guys.

(h/t Blee)

3. I wonder, can I hire this guy to follow me around everywhere I go? “There’s a pigeon, sir. There’s a pigeon. There’s five pigeons. There’s a pigeon pecking at my eyeball. There’s a pigeon trying to take a camera phone picture up my skirt.”

(h/t The Mysterious M)

4. So a casting agency was fired from the Shelter movie for seeking people to populate a fictional town with a “West-Virginia holler” feel. Particularly, they were looking for odd-looking children and people with an “inbred” look about them.

Too bad, because I had JUST THE GUY!

OMG. I’m kidding, minions. I’m. Just. Kind. Of. Not. Kidding.

(h/t DW, BagitTagit, and unsatisfied)

5. I can’t help but wonder if maybe Snowman committed suicide.

(h/t Tim)

6. March 20. That will be the day I walk out of the house in a cardigan, walk back in my house, take off my cardigan, hang it up, grab another from my closet and put that cardigan on. I’ll zip it up with a flourish and a poorly sung ditty about you totally need to be my neighbor, yo! Then I’m going to feed my fish that I don’t have, make a telescope with construction paper, freak out when Lady Elaine Freakin’ Demon Fairchild blinks at me, and wrap it all up nicely by teaching my dog a life lesson about the importance of washing one’s paws after playing in a puddle of his sister’s pee.

Won’t YOU be my neighbor?

(h/t Mel)

1. Chris
    February 28, 2008 10:22 am

PittGirl!! Freakin’ Lady Elaine!?!?!? Years.of.therapy….I’m just sayin’

2. Me
    February 28, 2008 10:30 am

Lady Elaine Fairchild always scared the bejesus out of me.

3. PittinDC
    February 28, 2008 10:33 am

Most Burgh words I’ve been able to get out of my every day vernacular, as people in DC look at me like I’m an idiot when I say I’m going to go grab a pop. But I have never, EVER, been able to stop saying “slippy.” I don’t know what it is about that word, but it will not go away.

However, when I’m drunk… the Burgh totally comes out. As they say, you can take the girl out of the Burgh, but you can’t take the Burgh out of the girl.

February 28, 2008 10:37 am

yeah, that lady elaine pic is scaring the hell out of me. it reminds me of that cracksmokinteachersaidewhore who got busted earlier this week.

seeing that cat in the hats reminded me, for some reason, of that part in “better off dead” when lane’s mom and dad wear those ridiculous deer outfits for Christmas.

and, my first “h/t” for the burgh blog — woohoo!

5. HickoryChick
    February 28, 2008 10:41 am

First, I’d like to thank you for the freakin’ stroke I had when I went to theburghblog this morning and saw a 6 inch head shot of Lady Elaine Fairchild. Thanks.

I’m also very sad to hear about the casting company being fired(!) for looking for freaks for the ‘Shelter’ movie. I already started rounding them up! What am I going to do with them now? Perhaps I’ll start a traveling carnival.

Finally, if I have this right, we’ll be waving our terrible towels in the burgh tomorrow (sniff, sniff) and wearing zip up cardigans from Sears on March 20? Wow. It really IS the end of an era.

6. Mrs Pitsberger
    February 28, 2008 10:41 am

#1. I screamed ALMOST as loud when I saw Lady Elaine Fairchild’s extreme close up as I did when I saw Lukey’s. You’re scaring me, PG.

#4. I’m totally a minion…but that’s funny!

#5. Some people are lucky that their pets do not have opposable thumbs and therefore cannot grasp weapons.

#6. Don’t forget to change your shoes.

7. deebee
    February 28, 2008 11:11 am

I was in high school before I realized slippy wasn’t a word.
    And yes I still use it,now I’m going to redd up the house.
    Rest in Peace Myron.

8. Sofa King
    February 28, 2008 11:26 am

Did anyone else notice that Mr. Rogers and Myron Cope died exactly 5 years apart to the day? Interesting coinky-dink.

9. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    February 28, 2008 11:54 am

I have all of my Terrible Towels out. I already had one in my office (along with the 35 or so Pittsburgh sports related bobbleheads, beanie bears and other knick-knacks). My desk is now bare, with the exception of my Terrible Towel, a small Steelers hardhat from the groundbreak for Heinz Field, a Bettis beanie bear, and sitting center stage — my Myron Cope bobblehead. Off to the right, a small framed picture of Mister Rogers in his red cardigan. Even the Sea-chickens fans in my office (I live in Portland, OR) have stopped by to console me. I actually heard the news about Myron via a condolence e-mail from a co-worker who is a Raiders fan (they despise the Sea-chickens fans even more than I do).

Also, they say pop in the Pacific Northwest so I’m not always getting corrected anymore.

10. dwight
    February 28, 2008 11:57 am

No! No! No! Long live “POP.” Yinz, gumband, redd up … never used and find annoying, but pop? If you gave it up for “soft drink,” okay (nerdy, but okay), but please don’t tell me you say “soda,” now! If so, I’ll have to start calling you PhillyGirl.

11. Ravishing Rick
    February 28, 2008 11:59 am

Dear PittGirl this guy is looking for a Pittsburgh Girl
    CL 588283905 the moment I saw I thought Pittsburgh Girl
    PittGirl,could they be one in the same?????????????

12. chrys
    February 28, 2008 12:10 pm

Thanks for the laugh, I just realized that I told my kids not to run up our sidewalk yeaterday, because it is slippy!! LOL!! OMG.. I am passing it on. :)

As for the kitten hats… poor Snowman..:( I hope there are no crazy hats where he is now.

13. Still A Fan
    February 28, 2008 1:34 pm

5. maybe not. a shameless plug:

one of mine loves that crap. i swear he’s human. and a little bit gay (not that there’s anything wrong with that).

nah, you know what? i looked at snowball’s pics again. he absolutely off’d himself.

14. Pensgirl
    February 28, 2008 2:20 pm

I’m so sad that people intentionally remove ‘Burgh words from their vocabs! I don’t have the accent, but I love our words and I’ve intentionally worked on keeping them. If people try to make fun of me for it, I just say maybe they’d have some fun local words too, if they were from anyplace remotely special.

15. Gunn Lino
    February 28, 2008 2:39 pm

As to the firing of the casting agency….that’s a little harsh I think, I mean they are giving otherwise unemployable people a chance to make a mark in film history.
    Where’s the ACLU when you need them?

16. Kat
    February 28, 2008 3:47 pm

No! No! No! Long live “POP.”

Right on. Pop isn’t a Pittsburgh word–it’s a half-the-country word. You can pry “pop” out of my cold, dead vocabulary.

17. Lily
    February 28, 2008 5:15 pm

I really like the “word” slippy.

18. windy city steel city
    February 28, 2008 5:25 pm

I moved to Chicahgo nearly 16 years ago from Beaver Cahnty and still need a tahl to dry myself off after a shah-er and respect Coach Cahr. Dad has had Stiller tickets since ’74 and I bleed black n goald.

Recently my Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer so I am moving back to the area this spring to be near her while she fights it. Everyone I have talked to in my job search has been great and it pleases me to know how helpful and friendly a Yinzer can be. Looking forward to making the Golden Triangle my home.

I am a realtor specializing in lofts / condos, so any info on the market would be helpful. Look for http://www.steelcitylofts.com, http://www.steelcityneighborhoods.com and http://www.dahntahn.com coming to Da ‘Burgh soon.

Special shout aht n’@ to PittGirl and this blog for keeping me informed while tickling my funny bone with a hammer.

19. justretiredguy
    February 28, 2008 5:47 pm

It wasn’t until I was in the Army that I realized I had an accent. Being from south 18th and Pius, it sometimes gets a little thick. I remember telling some other GIs a joke about money falling “dahn a sore”. I litteraly had to spell sewer and was amazed that they had no idea what I was saying.

Well, time to go shovel the driveway. It’s all slippy an’at dere.

20. justretiredguy
    February 28, 2008 5:52 pm

Lady Elaine? I thought it was a close up of Sophie Masloff.

21. Sue
    February 28, 2008 9:03 pm

While walking with a Jeresy native friend I mentioned how my dog ran over to that “crick” and got full a “jaggers n at”. Took her awhile to decode.
    My kids are not supposed to “cuss” or the punishment is reddin up and runnin the “sweeper”. One of my kids first non baby food meals was peorgies.
    My children have picked up only a few mispronounciations, like Mere for Mirror and Bloon, for balloon. Oh well I tried, I’m sure the Burgh will still have them come college time. ha

Sue

22. Minion77777777777777
    February 28, 2008 10:33 pm

I saw the comment about the West Virginia Holler feel and knew just about which picture of Ben you were going to put with it. Too funny. Good thing he lost the beard, or they’d be begging him to be in the dang movie.