Don’t cry for me, Pittsburgh.

Atlanta is abuzz over the acquisition of one Colby Armstrong.

From an article entitled “New Thrasher sad about leaving Sidney Crosby, Penguins“:

Yes, there were tears. The Penguins were the only organization Colby Armstrong ever knew after being Pittsburgh’s first-round draft pick in 2001.

“I was shocked and saddened to leave my friends,” Armstrong said. “I’d been there for so long. … I was a little emotional. I’m not big on change. I keep my equipment until it falls apart. I keep everything, and I felt comfortable.”

He had bought a house. His girlfriend is from Pennsylvania. He doesn’t know when he’ll see his two dogs again now that he’s living in a hotel. And he was leaving his closest friends.

Awww.

“As these last two days have gone along, he’s starting to forget about Pittsburgh and really starting to embrace the change,” Christensen said.

It started when Mark Recchi picked up the two for practice Wednesday and they got to meet their new teammates. Then Recchi handed them the keys to his truck and suggested they explore the city.

“I called my girlfriend and said, ‘Hands down, it’s better shopping than Pittsburgh,’ ” Armstrong said.

By the time Thursday’s morning skate was over, Armstrong no longer referred to the Thrashers as “they” as he had shortly after the trade. He joked that he dug the logo and team colors.

Were that Pittsburgh was that easy to forget.  We all know it’s not, but I’m happy to see Colby making the best of this.

1. Pensgirl
    February 29, 2008 1:11 pm

It’s not surprising that Colby can look on the bright side. It’ll be harder on him once playoffs roll around – it’ll be a miracle if the Thrashers make it – but he seems like someone who can roll with the punches.

But he’s definitely one of those guys who will forever feel like a Penguin to fans, no matter who he plays for.

February 29, 2008 1:25 pm

all colby can say is “nice shopping” and “nice logo”? I would think that he would love the buckhead section down there — best part of ATL.

but, that ATL traffic — don’t get me started.

3. Me
    February 29, 2008 1:32 pm

HE’S DEAD TO ME!

Just kidding. Hey, everyone needs to make the best of the situation they’re handed. Hope he does well.

4. Allison
    February 29, 2008 2:34 pm

As a displaced Pittsburgher living in Atlanta, it’s not that bad here. It’s no Pittsburgh, but it makes do in the meantime.

But yeah…Atlanta traffic. Yikes. Live close to the stadium boys.

5. cultlord
    February 29, 2008 3:23 pm

Colby’s right, the shopping in Pittsburgh is horrible.

6. Magnus Patris
    February 29, 2008 4:02 pm

Bad shopping in Pittsburgh?!?!? Hey, we have Giant Eagle AND Shop and Save!

7. Megan
    February 29, 2008 5:53 pm

HAHAH @ shopping comment – that’s about all that Atlanta has going for it (lived there over 7yrs). I hope he’s reunited with his dogs soon! He will be missed :(

8. Evie
    February 29, 2008 6:13 pm

Good luck Colbs, you’ll have plenty of time to shop when the playoffs come around.

BUT, you deserve to be on a team that’s gonna make it there. Ya know, the PENS.

Bleh. Listen to that Erik, he’s all, F-U P-G-H.

9. C.S. Keys
    March 1, 2008 12:24 am

Great guy, I wish nothing but the best for him (except when he’s playing the Pens!). He’s right though, Atlanta > Pittsburgh if you are young and rich.

10. chrys
    March 1, 2008 12:30 am

My little nephew is named Colby.. my brother must be pissed… oh hell.. my nephew is cuter..LOL!!!