Fug, Gross, and REALLY REALLY RICH.

The Steelers and Ben Roethlisberger have reached an agreement on a six-year contract extension worth $102 million, including over $36 million guaranteed.

And that agreement was, “Give me all of your money and screw Alan Faneca.”

Worth it?

PittGirl says no, but I’m sure you all will put me in my place about it.

1. mis
    March 4, 2008 8:55 am

He better earn it is all I have to say…….
    oh and I bet a bunch of gals are tossing their birth control pills right about now.

2. Puma
    March 4, 2008 9:25 am

Ben’s signing is a good thing. The contract by NFL standards is appropriate. Two years from now with him just being above average, he would have most likely garnerned the highest contact in the league. He currently has the 4th highest amongst QBs… and by next season, 2 or 3 more guys will pass him up.

For what the market bears, this was a fair contract.

3. Haven Films
    March 4, 2008 10:02 am

I’m a HUUUUGGGEEE fan of Faneca, but if I had to make the decision of $40 million for the couple of years he has left in him or $100 million for The-27-yr-old-Fug…gotta be honest…I’d have gone with the Fug too.

4. Kate
    March 4, 2008 11:01 am

You guys on here who think Faneca should be part of this conversation are insane. He’s washed up, 32 years old, maybe as 1 or 2 mediocre years left in him, has hated everything about the steelers since they didn’t hire his line coach Russ Grimm to be the head coach, is bitter about that and had no intention of staying with the Steelers this year for any amount of money. He barely protected the QB last year, why would you want to spend more money on him to not protect the QB very well this year. Let’s see – a 32-year-old O-Lineman who hasn’t played well the last two years or a brilliant 26-year-old QB who had an awesome season is 2007 and is on the upswing of his career. Wow, that was a hard choice, huh?

5. lolo
    March 4, 2008 12:47 pm

Oh….I [heart] you Still A Fan….

6. Still A. Fan
    March 4, 2008 4:28 pm

lolo, i bow at your feet and accept your kind words

7. BB
    March 6, 2008 5:30 pm

Still A Fan is right on the money. Whether you all think Ben is “fug” or whatever you all think of his looks or his personal life, that is irrelevant. He is a young man who parties. Wow! So he got into the accident. I am sure he learned from it. The point is that choosing between investing money in a washed up Faneca who probably has maybe one or two years left and a promising young QB who has led the team to a SB is a no brainer. Faneca was offered a fair price for what he was worth by the Steelers. He wanted out and did not want to play for the STeelers so he took the Jets’ offer.

Steeler fans have been clamoring for a QB since Bradshaw retired. (Packer fans are about to go through this starting now.) They went through Tomczak, Brister, Stewart, Maddox, etc. Well, now they hopefully have a Franchise QB that will hopefully lead the team to more SB titles.

Hopefully, he is ready for the extra scrutiny that comes with it. I know he has been scrutinized before with winning the SB , starting as a rookie, etc, etc. What I mean is that STeeler fans want more Lombardis. Steeler fans are not going to be so understanding if he throws 3 picks in a playoff game.

Hopefully, we can an o line to protect him as well or that 102 million dollars will go down the tubes.