The Second Coming of Sidney Crosby

From Sports Illustrated and Darren Eliot in an article entitled, “Drive of the Penguins:  If you think they’re hot now, wait ’til they’re healthy.”

The point is that Crosby should return later this week, possibly for NBC’s Game of the Week on Sunday at Washington. I caught a glimpse of him working out at Mellon Arena on Sunday morning and despite his ankle woes, let me report that Crosby’s hands looked just fine. There seemed to be a spring to his stride and an eagerness to be back around the action that wasn’t apparent even a week ago.

YAY! I can already feel exactly how my heart is going to thump when Sid takes the ice.

Also, regarding the Thrasher/Pens game at the Civic Arena (It’s Civic Arena, bitch!):

There were a ton of signs for Colby Armstrong and Christensen at the game, and both were cheered loudly during intros. Armstrong was the first visiting player I’ve ever seen get huge cheers when an assist was announced. At one point, the scoreboard flashed ‘Thanks for the Memories’ for Armstrong and Christensen. One Pittsburgh media member found that interesting considering it was Mark Recchi’s first game back in the building as a visitor since the 2003-04 season, but he didn’t get any mention. All he did, it was pointed out dryly, was lead the team to a Stanley Cup and score 500 goals.

Oh, snap!  Recchi absolutely deserved better than that.

1. DW
    March 4, 2008 10:04 am

I can’t remember, but my guess is they have done that for Mark before. He’s been here as a member of the Flyers, Habs and Hurricanes over the years. Perhaps a little somethin’ somethin’ should have been in line, though.

2. back in the burgh
    March 4, 2008 10:06 am

Agreed … I would also guess that many people in the building simply assumed that this wasn’t Recchi’s first time back in the Burgh since leaving for Atlanta. Still, should have cheered for him, too … he and his family are a class act. We miss you, Mark, and send you lots of cheers!!!

3. Pensgirl
    March 4, 2008 10:34 am

Back in the burgh, you’re probably right that fans didn’t realize he hadn’t been back, but the Pens’ organization should have known that. They should have included him.

My family’s coming to visit me this weekend and we’ll be at Sunday’s game. If Sid comes back that day you’ll hear me whoop and cheer from Pittsburgh.

4. DW
    March 4, 2008 11:26 am

Too, I still don’t understand why everyone boos Jagr. Yeah, he might have had a few comments and issues that people took exception with, but the kid was AWESOME to watch and did a lot for this organization.

I still remember watching him set up and score some of the best goals this side of Mario/Sid/Malkin!

5. Sooska
    March 4, 2008 12:04 pm

I read more than one account that when Atlanta’s starting line of Army, Christensen, Recchs was announced there were cheers and applause so Recchs wasn’t left out entirely.

6. spoon
    March 4, 2008 12:56 pm

The Fan590 is reporting that Sidney Crosby will return to the lineup on Tuesday.
    (Mar. 4 – 12:42 pm et)

7. DW
    March 4, 2008 1:14 pm

Yep, Post Gazette and Sid say tonight is the night.

SWeeet.

8. Ashley Ann
    March 4, 2008 2:21 pm

he’s playing tonight in tampa(i’m in orlando) and i didn’t get tickets cause he wasn’t playing!!!! grrrrrr i am soooooooooo unhappy right now!!!!

9. PittinDC
    March 4, 2008 3:06 pm

Yay! So glad Sidney will be back!! I’ll be at the game on Sunday, cheering on the Pens with everyone else in the Verizon Center, because, as always at DC sporting events, the Pittsburgh fans will clearly out number the Caps fans. I can’t wait for Sid and Malkin to skate all over Ovechkin!

10. Marc
    March 4, 2008 3:19 pm

I still am suprised at how talented this club is. We lose the best player in the world and we have another step up and we hardly miss him. We lose our best defensive player for the year, everyone else steps up. We lose a tough guy and Malone steps up and then some.

Geno needs to get some points tonight to keep up with AO.