Random n@.

1. Good snowy cold morning, Burghers! I’m THIS close … THIS … CLOSE to complaining about the cold and the snow and WHEN IS SPRING COMING FOR THE LOVE OF GOD?! But I’m not quite there yet. This is a new record for me. March 10 and I still don’t hate winter.

2. The Pittsburgh Dish has embedded a reporter with one of the front-line detachments flighting out of the Mexican War Streets in the Battle of Potholes in the War on Snow and it is quite the awesome. A snippet:

As the Vernal Equinox approaches, the Potholes have steadily increased their territorial holdings. Reports indicate that the Potholes have infiltrated the streets of all 90 Pittsburgh neighborhoods and have conducted a reign of terror that has claimed automobile tires, shock absorbers, struts, and the tender ankles of pedestrians.

Read the whole report here. It’s chilling. And by chilling I mean hella funny.

3. Speaking of the War on Snow, the score has now changed:

A Penn Hills public works employee suffered minor burns last night when the salt truck he was operating caught fire, emergency dispatchers said.

The 47-year-old employee had been salting roads when the truck caught fire in the 100 block of Old Frankstown Road in front of the bus garage, dispatchers said.

Damn! Snow must have the Potholes shooting out live grenades now. Excellent Trojan Horse tactic — disguising grenades with Potholes!

For those keeping track, the score is now Snow, 2 : Lukey, 1

TEAM SNOW!

(h/t DW)

4. Have a look at the new Iron City and IC Light bottles/graphics.

I don’t hate them, but that IC Light can kinda looks like a beer that really wanted to be an energy drink when it grew up. See:

(h/t JP)

5. BK, AKA Byung-Hyun Kim, AKA Byung-YUM! Kim is reportedly seeing his first pitching action with the Buccos of Suckitude today when they take on the Phillies down there in Florida … where it is not currently cold and snowing. Not that I’m complaining.

Here’s hoping some nice hi-res pictures land in my mailbox by the end of the day.

6. Evgeni Malkin is only three points behind Ovechkin for the NHL scoring title.

When Ovechkin’s name was mentioned after the Penguins’ practice yesterday, Malkin broke into a wide grin. He slammed his fist into the palm of his other hand. “Ovechkin!” he said, then laughed.

I wonder, was his laugh a ha-ha laugh or a MWAH-HAHAHAH! laugh? I really hope it is the latter of the two.

1. Mia`
    March 10, 2008 10:20 am

#1 Ya know, I was good…right up until that 70 degree day last week…now I want spring…and a REAL spring! Not a week of mid sixties to mid seventies then straight to 90 degree days…like a month or two of an actual spring. Probably dreaming…but hey, a girl can dream can’t she?

#2 “If snow falls on your head, don’t panic, just bursh it off.” Ha! also “Don’t eat yellow snow” Ha again!

#3 If he’s good for nothing else, he is good for blogs around the city. He’s got definate entertainment value
    – Luke I mean. The poor guy in a burning salt truck is not so funny, except that it really is. As long as he wasn’t hurt. Or at least not huty badly.

#4 Don’t like em. Think it’s ugly. But then I don’t drink the stuff so … they aren’t exactly marketing to me anyway.

#5 Blah.

#6. Oh a good “MWAH-HAHAHAH!” laugh after smashing the head of the imaginary miniture Ovechkin in his palm is a definate must!

Yes I’m chatty today….

2. Stacey
    March 10, 2008 10:55 am

It’s been quite cold down here in Orlando the last two nights, I think it went down to 40 degrees. That may not be that cold but it’s a shock to wake up to in the morning. And I’ll be complaining next winter though when I’m back up in the Burgh…

3. megan
    March 10, 2008 11:23 am

GO PENS!!!

Seeing those new beer labels, reminds me of a dinner at Northpark Gamehouse (or whatever its called) . . . where my husband ordered an Augustiner (sp?) and the waitress replied: “I’m sorry, we don’t sell imports.” We let it slide until he tried to order a Yeungling (sp?) and got the same reply. LOL

4. Julie
    March 10, 2008 11:43 am

PittGirl, you may not be at the point yet that you’re completely sick of winter, but I sure as hell am. On my way to work this morning, I slipped and fell on the total sheet of ice that is the road behind my house, and there is a huge freaking bruise on my leg now. I usually try to stay fairly positive, but this weather just sucks. I hate winter. It just better not snow over Easter.

March 10, 2008 12:10 pm

#1: winter can kiss my fat hairy white ass already.

#2 and 3: GO TEAM SNOW!!!

#4: pittsburgh brewing should care less about changing their label and care more about actually making their beer taste like beer instead of monongahela piss water — not to mention paying their water bills on time. I mean, “ic light”? more like “ic shite”.

#5: the succos are still shitty — or, is it “shitey”, based on my #4 above?

#6: nicklas backstrom — thank you VERY much for your charity by scoring in your own goal yesterday. nice job! and, that was a FUN game to watch. GO PENS!!!

one additional item: congrats to the steelers’ james harrison for his arrest for a domestic dispute over the weekend. what the hell — are we morphing into the cincy bungles/convicts?

please, pittsburgh steelers: quit beating your girlfriends — it’s NOT cool. seriously.

6. Brother Anthony
    March 10, 2008 12:32 pm

#4. Some in my circle refer to Iron City as Red Eye. That will no longer work. Hesitantly considering Black Eye.

#6 Sounds like Malkin is imitating Crosby’s line in the TV commercial he recorded with A.O. last year.

7. PittinDC
    March 10, 2008 1:10 pm

I was at the Pens game yesterday, and it was awesome!! It was sold out crowd, and the crowd was evenly split between Burghers and people that live in the Washington, DC metro area (because, I assure you, no one within DC proper is a Caps fan). That’s probably because soooo many Burghers live down here in DC, but it was great to see. Crosby and Malkin were getting standing Os and “Let’s Go Pens!” was drowning out “Let’s Go Caps!” the whole time. Plus, I looooove it when my team beats my boyfriend’s team. Now the Buccos need to beat up on the Orioles this summer and I’ll have the sweep!

8. Kelli
    March 10, 2008 2:46 pm

Brother Anthony – I do believe that you or those in your circle and continue to refer to Iron City as Red Eye. The Iron City bottles have also undergone a re-design, but the red oval logo is still there, altered only slightly.

(From the bottles I drank Saturday night, it seemed that the logo was the same but the changes had to do with the way the logo was “lit” – shadows, hightlights, etc. No, it had nothing to do with how I was “lit”.)

And while I’m not super crzay about the new IC Light design, it does look better than the old one, which made IC Light look like the beer time forgot. And not in a cool, retro-y way, but in an “Oh my God – its a beer from 1983” kind of way.

9. Steve
    March 10, 2008 4:16 pm

@ unsatisfied: You are right. IC Light is pretty rotten. Makes Straub taste good. I could go for a natural Iron though.

Ovechkin will win the scoring title which will make the Caps games I attend exciting, but in the end, Malkin will get the last laugh as Ovechkin and his gf, who single handidly brought on his worst scoring drought of his career while over here ‘visiting’, will be watching the Pens in the playoffs from the beach.

10. Bram R
    March 10, 2008 5:31 pm

IC Light: I agree the packaging looks no good and I don’t think it’ll last long. But after all, it is only light beer. As long as the price stays the same and the brew is not enworsenned, fine by me.

11. Pensgirl
    March 10, 2008 6:14 pm

SO. Over. Winter. It’s the wind, the effin cold wind.

Everyone in Pens nation was MWAH-HA-HA-ing yesterday! And how lucky am I that both January’s Malkin-Ovechkin hit and yesterday’s Backstrom flub happened right in front of my section? Somebody up there totally loves me.

12. mis
    March 10, 2008 7:33 pm

My dad always called IC Light Panther Piss – and for good reason.

I think I am going to protest winter and wear my sandals – I say we all revolt. I might just pack away all my boots. Hey, maybe I should throw them on a burning salt truck.

13. Still A. Fan
    March 10, 2008 8:55 pm

does anybody know, actually KNOW, someone who drinks only IC? i lived there 21 years and i’ve been going back multiple times per year for 18 more. not me, my dad, my friends, my relatives….my friend’s dads……my relative’s friends…..my DAD’s relatives…oh wait, those are my relatives too…..whatever…..I DONT KNOW ONE SINGLE PERSON who claims IC as “their beer”.

even when my friends were broke ass cheap in college they still bought busch instead.

14. Anthony
    March 10, 2008 10:30 pm

I have always referred to I.C. Light as I.C. Laxative. Vile concoction!

15. Mia`
    March 11, 2008 8:53 am

Fan: Yes, I know several people, both male and female that only drink IC Light, and one or two that drink Iron City. I do not however claim they have any taste.

16. Kelli
    March 11, 2008 9:31 am

I drink Iron City. Not IC Light, but Iron City. In fact, I kind of mentioned that in my last post (no, I wasn’t kidding, I was drinking Iron City Saturday night and that is when I saw the new logos.)

I like it. I mean, there are lots of beers I like, but as my number on, stand-by, day-to-day beer, I choose Iron City.

Plus, beer is subjective, not objective. I like some, I hate others. Someone else may love the ones I hate and hate the ones I love.