1. So, what part of Don’t Block the Grid is so confusing to Mercedes drivers of the Burgh?
Let me explain it to you if you’re confused. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.*
Don’t. Block. The. Grid. With. Your. Stupid. Impatient. Car. Gawd.
2. The Baseball Toaster dudes did a rundown of this year’s Buccos of Suckitude and it is awesome. My favorite parts:
There are teams with smaller payrolls than the Pirates, but all of them can point to something they’re doing better than Pittsburgh along the player-development cycle. My question to you is… are the Pirates even trying to win?
RESEARCH DEPARTMENT: Either they aren’t trying or they have the order of operations wrong. They seem to think that first they’ll win, then they’ll come up with a plan, and then they’ll spend some money. That’s all backwards.
RD: Even in the rotation, no one should be a stone-cold lock. You’d think that a team that has been losing for as long as they have would realize that it’s going to take more than one or two moves to turn things around. I don’t have this year’s edition, but looking at last year’s Baseball America Prospect Handbook, the Pirates were ranked 19th in ’07, and were below-average every year except for one going back, and never in the top 10. They have to start at the bottom and work up.
But let’s wrap it up. As far as the product on the field goes, at the very least I think that they’re better than Houston. The Pirates’ bullpen, like their rotation, is better than most people think. But their offense is simply horrible. Before I looked up the over/under I was going to say 71 wins for them, and the over/under is… boom! 70.5. What say you?
RD: I think I’ll take the under, but not by much. I’ll go with 68, the same number as last year.
WH: Do you think they’re a 68-win team as presently constructed, or do you think that they’ll unload a bunch of guys at the deadline and get worse?
RD: I’m not sure if it’s even possible for them to unload a bunch of guys and get worse. The difference between the current version and the fire-sale version is only a couple of wins. But I’ll go with 68 either way.
WH: I hear you. Their offense is replacement-level as it is, and they’re not going to deal any of the young arms.
3. It is really fun to read Washington Capitals’ fans putting their heads together to try to find a way to keep the Pens fans out of Verizon Arena in the numbers that they currently show up.
(h/t to some awesome person that sent me this link and then I can’t find their email because I GET LOTS OF EMAIL!)
4. Pens rule! Pens rule! Pens rule!
5. Do you hear that?
That is the sound of absolutely no one falling over in shock.
6. The City of Pittsburgh is now home to two, yes TWO teams of women that can kick your ass soundly if they wanted to.
7. *Other best lines from The Princess Bride:
- “It’s possible, pig.”
- “You miserable, vomitous mass.”
- “Oh, you mean THIS gate key.”