Runnin’ on Dunkin’

Market Square, not long ago plagued by nuisance bars, drug sales and loitering, rapidly is becoming a Downtown hot spot.

The public square, the city’s oldest, is expected to become home to a wine, cheese and dessert bar and a Dunkin’ Donuts this spring and summer.

Dunkin Donuts + Market Square = All is right with my world. That hot chick that will be kissing the threshold on opening day and then begging passerby-ing men to carry her over said threshold? Totally me.

Sonic? Sonic? Wherefore art thou, Sonic close to PittGirl?

1. Sooska
    March 20, 2008 11:17 am

How about a group self-uniting in front of the Market Square D&D? You can invite everyone to Market Square, kick a pigeon and then everyone will self-unite with anyone else of their own choosing. Post-self-uniting reception includes D&D and D&D coffee. Sound like a plan?

2. Kat
    March 20, 2008 11:32 am

Someone on another board said that they’re (you know, them) are building a Sonic on 51 in Brentwood.

3. BagitTagit
    March 20, 2008 11:36 am

I never thought I’d see:

“rapidly becoming a Downtown hot spot.”

and:

“Home to a Dunkin’ Donuts.”

Paired up together…

Must be Pittsburgh.

4. Brian
    March 20, 2008 11:38 am

I am so happy, now I do the dance of joy. Da da da da da da da da da hey hey hey hey hey!

5. Heidi
    March 20, 2008 12:13 pm

There is a Sonic in Uniontown. It’s not that far from you… and it’s a beautiful drive. Limeade! Tots! SuperSonic Burritos!

March 20, 2008 1:42 pm

when I lived in richmond, there was a sonic not too far from me. never figured out what the big deal was — still can’t.

same thing for DD — I still think of those “gotta make the donuts” commercials. though, the donuts aren’t too shabby.

I’d rather see something OTHER than chains coming in and taking over market square — kinda like what happened to shadyside.

still, it’s better than the wig and beeper stores.

7. Zsa
    March 20, 2008 1:52 pm

Weren’t we supposed to have 100 Dunkin Donuts and a dozen IHOPs about a year & a half ago? Slow breakfast chains, stop taunting me.

8. cultlord
    March 20, 2008 2:33 pm

Where will I watch women crackhead fights? I may lack a secure position from which to watch like I had with the Ale House.

9. joey
    March 20, 2008 3:39 pm

I used to have an office overlooking Market Square…it was the best view…watching the homeless share a bottle of MD and pissing themselves…watching drug deals go down…picking the hookers out of the crowd.

10. Mark J
    March 20, 2008 6:22 pm

I know someone on Brentwood council who also said a Sonic is coming to rt51. Ive been to the one on rt19 past Donaldson’s Crossroads. When is IHOP opening in Robinson?

11. RavishingRick
    March 20, 2008 8:07 pm

B F D

12. John
    March 20, 2008 8:26 pm

There’s a Sonic off 28 near the Pittsburgh Mills Mall, and there’s soon to be an IHOP in Robinson right next to Johnny Carino’s. Not sure when it’s opening, but it’s gotta be soon from the looks of it.

March 20, 2008 10:13 pm

cultlord, Um … HAD at the Ale House? Did the Ale House (please say no) close, or did you just lose your spot?

14. C.S. Keys
    March 20, 2008 11:12 pm

There’s a Sonic in the Canonsburg/McMurray/North Strabane area on 19, apparently it’s owned by King’s, which is right next door (and is the most profitable of all King’s locations, interesting enough). I wish that cute lady from the Sonic commercials would enjoy a Mocha Chiller or Cherry Limeaid with me there someday.

15. Manda
    March 21, 2008 7:50 am

I heard the IHOP in Robinson opened already. Maybe this past Monday?

16. elbows
    March 21, 2008 9:28 am

PittGirl, who better than you to help Tara understand that her disdain for Pittsburgh is showing?

Wow. French wines. Faaaanceeee!

“The new bar, which will be named Sante, will serve French wines, cheese and pastry-type desserts, spokeswoman Tara Rieland said.
    “It’s a very new concept in Pittsburgh ,” she said. “There’s no such thing. We’re excited to create a new niche.”

Now, Moe’s – that’s exciting. They have tofu tacos.

17. deejee
    March 21, 2008 9:46 am

Disdain for Pittsburgh? We’re celebrating the opening of a DUNKIN DONUTS fer crissake.

18. pittgirl
    March 21, 2008 9:50 am

deejee, perhaps you think I’m merely celebrating the opening of a Dunkin Donuts (fer crissake) but perhaps you are not aware of my devotion to their coffee?

It is the new proximity of their coffee that I am celebrating, okay?

Fer crissake.

19. cultlord
    March 21, 2008 10:27 am

bucdaddy: No Ale House is still alive and kicking. I was writing in the past-imperfect tense or something, or maybe I was just writing from the future. I’ve been known to time travel – from time to time.

I meant if the crackhead fights (seriously the one I saw was epic) move out of Market Square, I will no longer have a safe vantage point of being upstairs with a Victory 12 and those huge-ass windows. If they move to the north shore by that shady Giant Eagle, where could I safely watch?

20. DeutschtownFrau
    March 21, 2008 12:32 pm

Cultlord — (I’m intrigued by your “name”) —

The Giant Eagle on the North Side — on the very southern edge of Deutschtown, to be exact — is not shady anymore. GE reacquired it when previous operators retired, and it’s noticeably spiffier. So we locals are hoping the crackheads will sense that their entertaining fights are even less welcome than they would have been before. (Conditional past imperfect optimism?)

21. cultlord
    March 21, 2008 1:16 pm

DeutschtownFrau: I’m rarely on the North Shore since I no longer work in that area but that’s good to know.

Maybe the crackheads will put on performances in the park? They can reenact Julius Caesar. We’ll just have to hope Frank Drebin isn’t around.

22. Woy
    March 22, 2008 1:31 pm

Mrs. Woy is about as excited about this as anyone.

23. jason
    March 25, 2008 4:59 pm

darn it– i really hate to be the pessimistic curmudgeon here. ive heard it for years– how Market Square is poised to become the “happenin'” hot spot, the heart of downtown.
    people, donuts and a wine/cheese/dessert shop aint gonna spark a Renaissance. but, alas, a stable downtown resident population just might! we wait in hope….