Random n@.

1. Because I’ll forget later, Happy Easter!  Not to take away from the spirit of the holiday or anything, but hey, here’s a peep show, yo.

2. It looks as though we won’t learn if there is buckshot or if there is no buckshot until next week at the earliest. I’m starting to lean toward no buckshot.

3. I don’t mean to freak you guys out, but it appears that Shiny Quarter is a FRICKIN’ GENIUS so far, correctly predicting 14 of 16 winners during yesterday’s first round of March Madness games.

‘Scuse me while I go offer up a sacrifice to Shiny Quarter.

4. I realize it sounds horrible and evil and misogynistic, but I absolutely refuse to believe that Dan Rooney meant this the way it came out:

What Jimmy Harrison was doing and how the incident occurred, what he was trying to do was really well worth it,” he said of Mr. Harrison’s initial intent with his son. “He was doing something that was good, wanted to take his son to get baptized where he lived and things like that. She said she didn’t want to do it.”

Not even Satan is stupid enough to stand behind a slew of microphones and say, “Yeah, he beat her, but listen, it was totally worth it. Bitch was in his way.”

Hey, if Ike Turner is saying it, I’m not giving him the benefit of the doubt.

But it’s Dan Rooney. I’m going to withhold my ire for the time being. But I’m watching you, Dan Rooney.

5.  Pens rule!  Tie for first!

6.   The Buccos of Suckitude continue their ways of Suck, with Ian Snell, our opening day pitcher mind you, giving up three homers in 5 2/3 innings during a 3-0 loss yesterday.

And that’s all I have to say about that mass of suck.

7.   I’m adding the site to the blogroll because I should have done it ages ago, but have you all read Mondesi’s House “16 Reasons Why the Pirates’ Streak Won’t End in 2008” that he wrote for Deadspin?  It’s awesome and my favorite is number 6  —  “They’re bad at everything.”

Word.

(h/t to Mark, the husband of one Newlin Archinal, who I assume got a new haircut because I’ve got a bunch of hits from Google searches of “Newlin Archinal haircut.”)

8.  All you girls that were in love with “J” and his awesome Paint skillz, he’s still looking for love with an updated story that specifically asks you not to contact him if you’ve just recently refilled your prescription of CRAZY.

(h/t Lilly)

9.   David Conrad post coming up later in which we’ll hear directly from David Conrad’s keyboard.  Yay, us!

1. Marc
    March 21, 2008 8:52 am

It’s spring training, be easy on the Pirates some of us are trying to get excited even if it’s stupid to do so.

2. pittgirl
    March 21, 2008 8:56 am

Marc, I’ve been easy on them since I started my blog and it just never works out. They always squish my naive hopes up like a Target receipt.

So this year, I’m doing something different. I’m being hard on them in the hopes that by me doing something different, maybe THEY, through some weird cosmic karma, will somehow do something different.

It’s tough love, is what it is.

3. Brian
    March 21, 2008 9:12 am

The Pirates suck … I know it, you know it, we all know it. And it feels awful, because I’ve been a Pirates fan since I was a child, so it’s not easy watching this every year. I have no reason for optimism, and no one has any reason to be easy on them. It’s great if you’re optimistic, and you’re totally alllowed to be. Good for you. But for those of us who have had friggin’ enough, we have our reasons to doubt, scoff, laugh, chortle, et al. When the Pirates give reason for hope or optimism or some level of non-pessimism, then I’ll listen. But not until then.

4. I knew when I read his comments that people were going to be all over Dan Rooney. The quote was presented out of context, I do believe, and I thought it was a very irresponsible way to present his side of the story on the P-G’s end. I mean, unless Dan smacked his head off the faucet that morning and went loopy, there’s no way he’s condone James Harrison’s actions. Wouldn’t a follow-up question of, “Are you saying you condone Harrison’s smacking of his girlfriend because it involved his son’s baptism?” have cleared this up right away? I think it’s totally irresponsible they didn’t ask that question. They couldn’t have, you know? I just felt bad Dan Rooney was pushed under the bus (not Bettis) because of some of his idiot players’ cowardly, disgusting actions.

4. Julie
    March 21, 2008 9:14 am

I kind of *almost* feel bad for ‘J’ except that it’s no mystery to me why only crazy women responded to his original post. What else can you possibly expect when your singles ad is spoken in the same manner as a condescending parent would speak to their two-year old child? Not attractive, J, not at all.

5. Bulldog
    March 21, 2008 10:09 am

pittgirl, I think your instincts concerning what Dan meant are probably right on the money based on what was written in the P-G this morning. I think that were “other” things that Dan had inside his mind that didn’t necessarily come out in his comments and I choose to believe that he in no way meant to condone or accept this kind of behavior.

I’m guessing that he was thinking (as he has since noted) that one player immediately came forward and informed the team of what happened, expressed regret for the incident, and has accepted full responsibilty for his actions including whatever inevitable consequences are still yet to occur once the case is adjudicated. It’s also worth noting that Harrison has been undergoing anger management counseling without waiting for the team, the court or the league to mandate it.

I’m guessing those things (and whatever else we don’t know about) are sort of what Dan meant when he said that they need to treat each case depending on the totality of the circumstances.

Of course this is all nothing but my own pure speculation but those are the reasons along with organizations long history of being a respectable member of the community that I tend to agree with you.

6. Marc
    March 21, 2008 11:33 am

What i’m thinking Rooney meant was the premeditated thing, Wilson walked in and punched her in the face there was nothing good that he could have had in mind, Harrison was taking his kid to be Baptised, and who knows but it was a heat of the moment thing. I think that is what he is trying to say.

7. K Dogg
    March 21, 2008 1:14 pm

I’ve actually seen a picture of J – so so so not cute.

8. TrolleyRider
    March 21, 2008 3:54 pm

Are you not aware of Deadspin? It’s pretty much the center of the sports-blogging universe.

9. pittgirl
    March 21, 2008 5:51 pm

Of course I’m aware of Deadspin.

10. Gunn Lino
    March 21, 2008 8:27 pm

It seems the more attention “J” gets the more we’ll hear from/about him.
    Is there a vaccine or a series of shots like for allergies that will prevent him from returning?

11. Angie H.
    March 22, 2008 10:27 am

Short time reader, first time poster… haha

Ok the “J”, for some reason i find that post Hilarious!!

and the rooney thing…. Well I agree with some of the above comments. I don’t he meant it to sound like that. Foot in mouth syndrome… Its 1 thing to walk into a public place and deck a girl sitting alone at the bar. and its another to get in a fight in a private home and react badly in the heat of the moment.

12. Woy
    March 22, 2008 1:30 pm

Sometimes I think I have a pseudo-crush on Newlin Archinal.

13. justretiredguy
    March 22, 2008 3:15 pm

Maybe Dan Rooney could hire a spokesperson who can put together a coherent sentence. I hear he has a few bucks left, then there’s the four million in taxpayer money he’s going for.

14. Jordan
    March 23, 2008 11:37 am

So, uh, where is the David Conrad you promised? Bait us with something great and then not deliver? Who are you? Pitt Panthers?

15. TheJim
    March 23, 2008 6:08 pm

@Woy

I agree, she’s kinda hot in an unconventional way. She’s no Sonni Abatta or anything, but…

16. Bram R
    March 23, 2008 6:47 pm

PittGirl, my dad just pointed out to me that you were in the Sunday forum section (oddly, he did not point out to me 2PJs or the Angry Drunk Bureaucrat). He was like, “Hey, here’s something about a blog. Do you know her?” I was like hmm, interesting question.

Anyway, “six old gross billboards?” I had no idea we had an old, gross billboard problem. No idea.

And yes, I concur roundly on the N.A. thread. It is like something you’d encounter in your better in-room movies.

Happy Easter.

17. Sarah
    March 25, 2008 2:11 pm

Oh “J”

Thats… I don’t know. I find the condecenting tone hilarious, but I also am not replying to his ad.

So…