Dear John Steigerwald:

James Harrison slapped the mother of his child. (Could someone please come up with a name for the mother of a man’s child when the mother is not also the man’s wife? Girlfriend doesn’t seem to work here and neither does fiance.)

Cedrick Wilson sucker punched his uh, er,…(See what I mean?) the mother of his child.

Babymama.

You’re welcome.

PittGirl

1. deebee
    March 24, 2008 10:33 am

I thought of you when I read John’s column.
    Can’t any of these guys actually marry these women?? Just showing my age I guess.

2. Erik
    March 24, 2008 11:54 am

Deebee, the fact that the guys aren’t marrying the women they have children with is what bothers you here? Really?

Steigerwald’s point isn’t as good as it sounds at first, though. I mean, it’s always been considered weak and unmanly to hit a woman in terms of like… punching a chick in a bar or something, but as far as hitting one’s wife, girlfriend or babymama, the idea has traditionally been that MAN KEEP WOMAN IN LINE GRUNT GRUNT. The idea that men shouldn’t act like that is relatively new, and god knows athletes have a pretty traditional take on manliness and sex roles.

/2¢

3. NoMansBabyMama
    March 24, 2008 12:04 pm

First of all, what do some of these women see in these so-called men. Oh, oh, that’s right, what is wrong with me – of course, they see $$$$$$$$ first of all. They see money, money, money.

March 24, 2008 12:10 pm

hey, c’mon people — wilson only PUSHED his babymama in the side of her head — she said so!

I only see bright skies ahead for this lovely couple — he has no job, she knows how to shoot a gun…..

5. B
    March 24, 2008 12:13 pm

NoMansBabyMama—

You’re right, but she’s still a victim here. Whether or not she is a gold-digger doesn’t haven’t anything to do with her being slapped. (True, enough, though, like you said, money blinds people to traits that would otherwise be a big red flag…) Sad that now she’s just a babymama. She is still a person (with a name I am sure). No one, wife, fiance, girl-friend, chick-on-the-side, or babymama deserves to get the smackdown like that, though.

6. deebee
    March 24, 2008 12:52 pm

Unsatisfied-
    Yes she knows how to shoot but her aim is not so good.

Erik-
    I just chose to comment on one of the many things that bothered me. If you marry then we know what to call her,… his wife!

7. Eileen
    March 24, 2008 1:35 pm

If that was my babydaddy:
    He has to close his eyes and go to sleep sometime.
    When he does, he would get a fryingpan over his big fat head…….

8. Dan (Not Onarato)
    March 24, 2008 1:40 pm

As sad and pathetic as this sounds, if they would have released Harrison, there would have been heck to pay from the Steeler “faithful”

oh and the Post Gazette reported that with Wilson now gone, there is additional cap room to possible sign an additional free agent…

WTF.

9. Erin
    March 24, 2008 2:51 pm

Why do we assume that these women *want* to marry these guys? You make it sound like they’re just pining away, wishing the guy would propose.

I recognize the need for a term, I guess, but “babymama” is so cliche now. Enough.

I guess I’m cranky today.

10. Pittsburgh Tom (in NJ)
    March 24, 2008 2:55 pm

I’ve said this before, but I haven’t heard anything to change my mind. If you release Harrison, you’re not punishing him. You’re rewarding him. You’re making him a free agent after he’s had a career year. In a league where teams are still interested in having Pacman Jones on their team, a current pro bowler with only one police incident on his record would surely be offered more than he’s getting now.
    I’m not saying he shouldn’t be punished. He definitely should be. (Although in a perfect world, the legal system would give sufficient punishment in these situations.) If the Steelers want to prove they’re not going to put up with these kinds of actions, they should suspend him without pay (really hit him in the wallet), force him to do community service and into anger management classes. Hell, make him give Mark Madden a sponge bath (too cruel?). And whenever the union fights the suspension, etc. (and they will), fight back hard and publicly so other players know that any future incidents won’t be swept under the rug quickly and silently.

11. NY Luvs Pitts
    March 24, 2008 3:07 pm

Baby’s Mama and Baby’s Daddy

12. Bram R
    March 24, 2008 4:33 pm

I gotta believe Staggie was playing possum here.

March 24, 2008 4:52 pm

In this context, “bucdaddy” is not what it sounds like …

14. justretiredguy
    March 24, 2008 9:09 pm

Broodmare and sire?

15. Still A. Fan
    March 24, 2008 9:30 pm

truth be told, the conversation went something like this:

cedric “bitch, how stupid are you?. if i get a bad reputation and no team picks my sorry ass up, where you think you’re gettin’ your money from? alimony dont grow on no tree, bitch. now get your sorry ass up, stop cryin….i said STOP CRYIN…and call those punk ass papers, and tell them it’s all good…..cause if it aint all good….then i cant get paid, and if i cant get paid…your ugly ass toes wont be wearin no jimmy choos no more.”

16. Lynsie
    March 24, 2008 10:06 pm

Amen! (Is that appropriate???)

17. Still A. Fan
    March 25, 2008 5:50 am

while not appropriate, mostly true….i’m guessing.

18. NoMansBabyMama
    March 25, 2008 8:13 am

You are absolutely correct 100% – she should not have been “punched”. No woman (or man for that fact) should be punched or hit or assaulted. I can’t agree more.

19. Brian of Brooklyn
    March 25, 2008 5:39 pm

What a great word. I first came across “babymama” when reading about Willis McGahee having something like three of them when he was with the Bills.

20. pro rider
    March 25, 2008 6:12 pm

More folks are unmarried with children than married with children in 2008……..Marriage is not what it used to be. And if a man hits a woman, she should deck him! and the same goes fro the woman who hits the man.