Gotta love the Fuel Perks.

Giant Overpriced Eagle is complaining that they paid too much for chocolate.

The O’Hara-based grocer claims it was overcharged for $200 million worth of chocolate products between 2002 and 2007.

I should care about this because price fixing is wrong. I should care about this because if Giant Eagle is paying too much for chocolate then I in turn am paying too much for chocolate. But instead of caring, one thought keeps fluttering through my mind like a butterfly on meth:

Giant Eagle complaining of being forced to pay higher prices than necessary is like the kettle calling the pot black. Like sauerkraut calling the Warheads sour. Like Jason Bay calling Ian Snell sucky. Like Lukey calling Play-Doh malleable. Like a pigeon calling Bill Belichick the spawn of Satan.

But thank God for Fuel Perks, eh?

1. Still A. Fan
    March 30, 2008 7:59 pm

why, that’s like…..that’s like……rain, on your wedding day…..it’s like, a free ride….when you already paid……it’s good advice…that you just didn’t take…….but who would have thought?

it figures

2. lolo
    March 31, 2008 9:05 am

“…alleging a chocolate conspiracy.” For real? I can’t believe that there is a chocolate CONSPIRACY.

3. Brian
    March 31, 2008 9:32 am

You know … I have had this convo with fellow board frequenter, the strikingly gorgeous and talented Christina, every time we got to the Eagle, and our quest to try to eat in a way that won’t kill us at 35 is killing our bank accounts. KILLING THEM! We get through the produce and it’s like, there’s half of what we budgeted for groceries. And I know that produce prices are rising everywhere and blah blah blah, but if it wasn’t for the rape administered elsewhere in the store, maybe we’d be OK. Like, OK, it’s not healthy but a 2-liter bottle of Coke. $1.89?! Would you at least kiss me when you’re done? And it’s just all across the board in that store! So yeah, yee haw, we have generated 60 cents in fuel perks the past month or so. Great. Gas will now cost, like $2.70 a gallon. Ame-e-e-e-e-e-erica! I wish Obama and Clinton would shut the fuck up about changes and ministers and who lied about arriving in Bosnia and promise to do something substantial about gas and food prices. NOW, bitches!

And just so it doesn’t seem we’re stupid about this Eagle business; go to Trader Joe’s. We fill our damn cart and pay far, far, far less for much better product. Far less. If it wasn’t such a trek for us, we’d do all our damn shopping there. Overpriced chocolate. Assholes.

4. not naming names
    March 31, 2008 9:38 am

I once talked to a computer guy that worked for Giant Eagle and he blatantly admitted that they don’t care that their prices are high compared to other stores because they want the ‘better class’ of people to shop there.
    Warms your heart doesn’t it?

5. addie
    March 31, 2008 10:03 am

Thank goodness I’m not the only one who thinks Giant Eagle is a giant rip-off. And the stupid fuel perks – in the end, I save like $3 on a fill up, which seems like a pretty crappy deal considering how much I had to spend.

The closest G-E to me is the blasted Market District store on Centre. For the record, I probably fall into the demographic that they court – I like me a fancy grocery store – but that place is horrific. And filled with unhappy employees who would rather you left them alone.

Seriously, if you’re not shopping at Trader Joe’s, you need to start. It’s cheap, it’s fun, employees are happy (they should be -they’re taken care of). We were worried that the Burgh wasn’t embracing TJ’s (I’ve been shopping there for years – in CA and DC) but now the place is mobbed every weekend. With TJ’s, I usually don’t need to go to G-E but once every few months – and especially once our farm delivery starts up again in a few weeks.

6. Leslie
    March 31, 2008 10:11 am

Aldi rocks.

March 31, 2008 10:18 am

Addie, Then you’re not using the perks right. GE is counting on you to misuse them, and I’m sure 90% of customers do, because they don’t have any patience and they don’t want to lay out any money for extra gear. Here’s how to screw GE:

You’re allowed to buy 30 gallons at the perks price, but of course unless we have long-haul truckers here, most of us don’t drive vehicles with 30-gallon tanks (my Honda has a 12-gallon). So go to Lowe’s and buy four five-gallon gas cans. That’ll run you about $22. Then (patience, dammit, patience!) run your perks up to about $2.80. Then one day, when your car’s fuel gauge is on E, take your car and your gas cans and fill them all up. At the moment, this would be roughly $100 worth of gas, for which you’ll pay about $15. With the $85 savings you otherwise wouldn’t have gotten, the gas cans more than pay for themselves. Then when you get down to about a half tank in the car, fill yourself up with one can. I have a short commute to work, this can last me a month or more between actual fill-ups.

Of course, it may just be easier to (as others suggested) go somewhere else for the moment. We had a gigunda new Kroger open maybe two miles from my house, and they’ve inundated us with coupons ($5 off a $30 trip, that sort of thing). So I’ve been using the Kroger coupons for light loads while occasionally returning to GE for larger loads.

I’m up to about $1.80 in perks now. About two more trips ought to be time to cash in.

8. Christina
    March 31, 2008 10:20 am

I must agree with the brilliant, handsome, elegantly bearded Brian (I’m not sure if I’m the same Christina he’s talking about..) I hate Giant Eagle. I hate the people who use the self-checkout lanes when they don’t know where the effing barcode is on a head of lettuce. Or 7,000 year old ladies who cringe at anything electronic, with carts full of items who insist on checking out themselves.

Also, I could go on and on about the price of oranges, and furthermore, all kinds of fruits and vegetables and lament about how much they cost, and how I think it’s somewhat of a conspiracy that only people who make a decent salary can afford to buy healthy food. Let’s keep the poor people poor, fat and unhealthy. And then let’s laugh when they’re older and have cancer and don’t have health care and then eventually die off. Bwahhahahahah!

I would bathe myself in the gloriousness of Trader Joe’s if I could. It’s wonderful, and I don’t know of anywhere else where I can buy delicious organic foods for a fraction of what I’d pay anywhere else. And their hummus is magnificent. It’s just so darn fun and cute there.

9. Kelli
    March 31, 2008 12:05 pm

How much are oranges at Giant Eagle? I’m just wondering – I avoid that place like crazy. I was getting my oranges 4 for $1.00 at Shur-Save in Bloomfield.

I heard that Giant Eagle said they don’t have to care about their prices, because they have no competition. When you think about it, it is close to true: they don’t have much competition.

However, there is just enough competition that I can find somewhere else to shop.

Also, I do not own a car. Therefore, fuel perks interest me not at all.

10. Not the Shop-n-Save Lady
    March 31, 2008 1:07 pm

Aldi’s rocks. We have Sur Save out where I live too, thank God.

I don’t understand why organic food costs more when it’s not coated with expensive pesticide. Somebody ‘splain.

11. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    March 31, 2008 1:40 pm

The way the foodies here in Oregon explained the whole organic is more expensive thing is that the costs to cultivate the produce (right fertilizer, composting shit – literally – time, soil mixture, etc…) is actually higher than pesticide treated, mass-produced factory farms produce. The growers are smaller so they don’t get the economies of scale that the big guys do. Their costs are higher and they don’t sell on the national level like the big companies do. I’m lucky — Trader Joe’s driveway is right across the street from my apartment building. I do go to the neighborhood Fred Meyers (Giant Eagle equivalent but not as expensive as the Iggle) which does not let anyone use the self service check out if you have more than 12 items.

12. BBM
    March 31, 2008 2:42 pm

You’ll need those Fuel perks for that car John Ritter sold you, no?

13. Steve S
    March 31, 2008 3:56 pm

Third the Aldi sentiment. We go there twice a month and get a cart load (including cheese, meat, and juices) for our family of 5 for under $60.00 a trip. Produce is regularly better than Walmart or the iggle, and the can goods are cheapest around.

When we moved here from out west we could not believe the total ripoff at the iggle. When we finally found Aldi it was a real treat.

I have not shopped at Trader Joes and always assumed that it would be too expensive for my budget, but some or your comments have peaked my interest.

14. Chase
    March 31, 2008 4:14 pm

Wegmans > Giant Eagle

15. Zsa
    March 31, 2008 4:20 pm

I must be the only one who wasn’t thrilled w/ Trader Joe’s. They didn’t have basic things I needed, like tomato juice. So I had to go across the street to the Dirty Bird & get it.

We need Martin’s.

16. Shibori
    March 31, 2008 7:59 pm

A second vote for Wegmans. Please?
    And if Giant Eagle thinks their high prices are keeping the trash out, they haven’t been to the one on the Waterfront on a Saturday afternoon.

17. toni
    April 1, 2008 1:06 pm

Foodland gives fuel cards too…haven’t compared their prices to the Iggle’s.

18. Paul
    April 1, 2008 1:50 pm

“I must be the only one who wasn’t thrilled w/ Trader Joe’s”

Nah, not the only one. I’ve made three trips to TJ’s and each time couldn’t find what I wanted/needed, couldn’t get help finding to save my life and left frustrated and vowing never to return.

Now if PA didn’t have it half-assed laws governing alcohol and TJ sold the wine here the way the can everywhere else I’d probably have to go back.

19. Chase
    April 1, 2008 5:29 pm

I work at Wegmans. We rule.

20. justretiredguy
    April 1, 2008 6:54 pm

Yeah Bucdaddy, that’s what I do. Fill up the car then start pullin’ the gas cans out of the trunk. You can also just take two cars and fill them up. They say you’re not supposed to, but I’ve never seen anybody stopped from doing it.

21. Sam
    April 2, 2008 4:56 pm

Just don’t get rear-ended on the way home with all of that gas in your trunk.

22. Pingback: Acid scanner 1.0.