Me and Billy P

So Bill Peduto wrote to me regarding my post about the war between Lukey and City Council.

I won’t post his response verbatim, but basically he gave me some info on Act 47, take home cars, and blah blah blah. Not important (to me).

So I wrote Bill back:

The point of my post wasn’t so much about the Act 47 Levels, but more the bickering and maneuvering that’s going on between City Council and Lukey lately. I mean, you’re basically agreeing that there’s some sort of internal war going on and tell me this. How are we as a people supposed to feel about that? How are we supposed to know who is REALLY looking out for our best interests. THAT is a question I would love to have answered.

Bill wrote:

I guess there is no way for the public to really know who is fighting for them and who is fighting for personal interest. The dilemma is probably as old as politics itself. As a basic rule, I would always start with past actions. Look at the characters on both sides and look at their history. In this case, who stood up for the general public in the past and who defended special interests? Who is on record lying to the media and who isn’t? What ‘benefits” are there for both sides – who is protecting their own interest?

I know it is complicated and the last thing anyone should do is trust a politician. But I am pretty proud to be on a team with Dowd, Burgess, Shields and Kraus.

There is a battle going on in City Hall, one that is long past due. There is a delicate power transfer to Council, which could change with one defection. Last year, it was 8-1 – now we have a 5-4 majority. I guess it will be up to us to prove to the public that we are the guys in the white hats. Aristotle would be proud.

B.

PS: In case you have been pining about the whereabouts of your self-united husband on Valentine’s Day (s-uh Conrad) – I can tell you, he was alone. We both flew-solo to dinner at the Braddock Elk’s at the invitation of Mayor Fetterman. It was David Lynch meets Frank Capra meets western PA. I have a polaroid – yes, a polaroid. And you are correct – David is a great person. I have known him for five years and I am continually impressed with how humble he is and how much he loves Pittsburgh. Keep blogging and I will keep reading!

So let’s recap what we’ve learned:

1. There is a war between Lukey and City Council

2. David Conrad is a great person.

3. Pigeons must die.

What?

1. Chipped Ham
    April 7, 2008 9:28 am

if only we had a mayor that could articulate his thoughts so eloquently… but then again, we wouldn’t have the foving morward drinking game.

2. Bram R
    April 7, 2008 10:00 am

“How are we as a people supposed to feel about that?”

Comforted. Government is meant to be a contact sport. When all the politicians are getting along with each other and there isn’t much exciting news, THAT is when you have to watch your wallet and your ass. I’m not kidding.

April 7, 2008 10:06 am

can’t we all just — move forward?

4. Expghchic
    April 7, 2008 10:23 am

Just for the record…
    In the name of Pittgirl I ran over a pigeon…in Arizona. While this was unintentional, the realization did bring a smile to my face and I immediately thought of you.
    Happy Monday!

5. Marc
    April 7, 2008 10:46 am

This should make you happy, yesterday I went through the Liberty Tunnels coming from town and I was waiting at the light at the end, there was a swarm of pigeons. Sitting there disgusted and confused as to why they were swarming I look under the underpass and see a hawk picking them off, it actually grabbed one with it’s talons and dropped the corpse on the road below. Thought I would relay that story to you.

6. the violet
    April 7, 2008 2:58 pm

For a minute there I thought this post had something to do with my dream man, Don Schweneker. Oh how I miss him. :( Now, that doesn’t mean Billy has replaced Don but, lookin’ good Billy! I can’t believe I just typed that….

7. Bram R
    April 7, 2008 4:40 pm

PENALTY for writing to PittGirl about the war? Bill Peduto was stripped of his position on the Stadium authority today.

dun-dun-DUN!!!

8. NoSide15212
    April 7, 2008 5:58 pm

Wow. So junior varsity. I, as a people, cannot believe this is it.

9. Ed Heath
    April 7, 2008 9:16 pm

There is a chance that the City’s Act 47 status will be recinded tomorrow. There is a meeting tomorrow night with the Secretary of Community and Economic Development (Dennis Yablonsky) on the South Side in the IBEW hall at 7:00. He has the power to recind the Act 47 status. I don’t think the status will be recinded tomorrow, but I wonder if Our Mayor’s reward for endorsing Mrs Clinton is for the City to exit Act 47. That would change the dynamic with Council, at least somewhat.

10. Bram R
    April 7, 2008 10:08 pm

Ed, I think you’re off your rocker on this one, but we’ll find out tomorrow or soon.