Random n’at.

1. Random n@ is no more because I have been requested to stop using “n@” by the person who owns it. Which is fine. No big deal. He’s a reader and was very gracious. I was given the option to put ™ after it, but then it’s going to look like I’m saying “Random n@” is trademarked. It’s not. So “Random n@” is now “Random n … @”

I kid. Let’s go with “Random n’at.”

2. Najeh Davenport’s trial began on Friday in Cleveland. You know, Najeh. The other other other other Steeler accused of smacking his woman about the head and face.

Davenport is the fourth Steelers player since 2006 to be accused of domestic violence.

Great! It’s a thing now. The Bengals are criminals, the Patriots are filthy stinking cheater devils, and the Steelers are domestic abusers.

3. Here’s an article about Pittsburgh’s reputation as it relates to local media or whatever. And here’s a great line:

Fox comedy Back to You is set at a Pittsburgh station, and Kelsey Grammer’s anchor character is a nod to KDKA anchor Ken Rice.

Kelsey Grammer’s anchor character is a womanizing, arrogant, vain, narcissistic lush who lives in the William Penn hotel and regularly chases the skirts of women in their twenties for one night stands.

Kenny, you devil!

4. While hunting around the net for what else I might want to call my random posts, I stumbled upon “The World Famous Random Kitten Generator.

I hate cats, it’s true. But only because they hate me first. In fact, my sister (Tina Fey) had a cat named Kitty (now that I think of it, she still has a cat named Kitty, but it’s a different cat because Kitty died a long time ago. AND, another of my sisters also had a cat named Kitty that is now dead. Very clearly, Sisters of PittGirl need a “World Famous Random Kitten NAME Generator” and also need to stop killing their cats.) that used to jump on my chest while I was taking a nap and would then proceed to perform open heart surgery with her claws. And I’m almost positive Kitty didn’t have a medical license at the time.

Again, getting back to my point, despite all of that … ADORABLE KITTENS! [scritch scritch scrith]

5. In a big fat PBTHHH! to The City Paper, the PG’s Cutting Edge went and shouted out to me again (and picked up CurtO’s comment as well).

6. The Buccos of Suckitude are playing .500 ball again and today they bring their special brand of suck home to PNC Park.

Please don’t write me and tell me to leave the Buccos alone. I already told you, I’m trying something different this year — telling them how sucky they are until they prove they aren’t consistently sucky.

7. Italy has a WAY hotter politician named Onorato than we do.

(h/t Laura)

8. Dance Party Fridays with Cincinnati’s local traffic reporter.

Jim Lokay? Can we have this? I will pay $1 million fake dollars to see Jim Lokay and Sonni Abatta bust a move. Any move. The chicken dance. The hokey-pokey. The bunny hop. The electric slide. The butter churn. The running man. Anything! Make it happen.

(h/t Emily)

1. Chad
    April 7, 2008 9:16 am

N@ N@ N@ N@ N@ N@ N@ N@ N@ N@ N@ N@ N@ N@ N@ N@ N@ N@ N@ N@ N@

N@ N@ N@ N@ N@ N@ N@ N@ N@ N@ N@ N@

N@ N@ N@

N@ N@

N@

Sue me, pal.

2. Amber
    April 7, 2008 9:23 am

I never would have made the Ken Rice connection to Kelsey Grammer’s character…but does anyone else get the distinct impression that the roving reporter on “Back to you”, Gary, is based on WPXI’s Gordon Loesch? From the first episode, that has stood out to me…

3. KGC
    April 7, 2008 9:36 am

#2 Add “and the Pirates are losers.”

4. Jennifer
    April 7, 2008 9:53 am

HA! I will throw in a fake ONE BILLION dollars to see any of our local anchors bust a move.

5. BBM
    April 7, 2008 9:58 am

I have to ask about #1. Or what? He’s going to sue your hot anonymous self who makes absolutely nothing off of using it on a blog? Huh? That’s stupid, n@.

April 7, 2008 10:04 am

1. someone OWNS “n@”?????

is it donald trump? after all, doesn’t he own, “you’re fi-uhhd”?

this world is in a sadder state than I thought.

3. I thought kenny was only involved as a consultant of sorts on the show.

if not and what’s above is true — then, kenny’s my new hero!

8. you gotta throw alimo and trishapitt in on that action, too.

and, ruth ann dailey, too (I know, she’s not on “onQ” anymore — so, sue me.)

7. dwight
    April 7, 2008 10:17 am

Oh my. I am in tears over the Cinci newscasters and their Dance Party Friday. I don’t think I would survive Sonnie and Jim doing it. But I would love to put that to the test!

8. dwight
    April 7, 2008 10:17 am

And … N@!

9. Cindy T.
    April 7, 2008 10:51 am

4. Cats eat pigeons N@ — enough said.

10. In Sewickley
    April 7, 2008 10:52 am

I would prefer not to see Jim Lokay bust any move!!!!! (shuts eyes)

Or Sonni Abatta for that matter.

But…. I am so glad you changed the ‘n at thing. I HATE n@ so much.

It’s so this century and Pittsburgh is so not this century.

11. cultlord
    April 7, 2008 10:59 am

Internet Armchair Lawyers activate!

PittGirl, please tell me you have a Leonard J. Crabs style lawyer to respond before bowing to someone’s request.

What does n@ refer to by this “requester”?

Unless they sent their super internet lawyers after you, you don’t have to do a thing. Even then, I’m doubtful, unless this someone who “owns” “n@” and uses it as a blog title and name (do they? google search for “n@” is failing to return anything but your site then a bunch of other random sites) I highly doubt they have a leg to stand on. Especially since n@ has been used since Pittsburgh discovered the wonders of the internet.

Don’t bow to such internet treachery.

12. Eileen
    April 7, 2008 11:41 am

I guess they better start recalling all keyboards that have the “n” key and the “@” key n@.
    How about the “inventors” of :0, :), :(?

13. DW
    April 7, 2008 11:42 am

I’m pretty sure I know they guy and I’ll have to bust on him now for messin’ w/ PittGirl.

14. Brother Anthony
    April 7, 2008 11:56 am

Is it so bad to remove the “@”? It was never THAT clever.

15. Bram R
    April 7, 2008 12:03 pm

Wow, she makes the Sprinkler look gewwwwwd n@.

16. Tony N
    April 7, 2008 1:49 pm

I can’t believe one can trademark such a thing… OK…
    I hearby trademark “LOL”…
    There, now everyone pay me!

I think you should call ALL your posts some version of “N@”…

Stillers n@…
    Lukey n@…
    The Damn Pigeons n@…

hmmm, maybe I’ll trademark “…” as well…

17. Sue
    April 7, 2008 1:52 pm

How can anyone own a “word” known only to we Pittsburghers?

Getting a shout out on a poop blog….pricless.
    Oh wait is “Priceless” owned? ok, then unpurchasable?
    geez

18. justretiredguy
    April 7, 2008 1:56 pm

I wonder if Italy’s Onarato is a pandering sack of shit with his head up Ed Rendell’s ass.

19. Still A Fan
    April 7, 2008 5:24 pm

some dude in southern outer banks recently lost his rights to “SOBX”. he filed it, and the people that owned “OBX” went after him saying without OBX, there was no SOBX. you would have to google the complete history as i forget some of the details, but it was a hard bought battle. great, i’ll be next….i just put ’08 oval stickers and gear up on my webstore and i bet somebody has claimed it!!!! i try to look stuff up before i use it, but really…..

mr reader, i’m dying to know if you saw it somewhere and y

20. Still A Fan
    April 7, 2008 5:25 pm

sorry….

dying to know if you saw it and copyrighted it, or did you actually come up with it yourself???? be truthful!!!

21. Gunn Lino
    April 7, 2008 6:10 pm

Besides most haven’t figured out why Bill Burns is no longer on the news.

22. justretiredguy
    April 7, 2008 7:35 pm

1. Bill Burns HATED pigeons.

2. Bill Burns call hoodlums what they are, hoodlums.

23. Jeff Goldammer
    April 7, 2008 7:40 pm

Hi folks,

I just want to clarify a few things.

I never threatened to sue PittGirl over her use of ‘N@.’ Did I threaten to sue you PittGirl? Did I offer to send you a JPG image for you to use if you wanted?

I came up with N@ back in 2000. Some of you may have seen the stickers on cars around town. The background of the story is on the Post-Gazette if you are interested.

Since that article, N@ has become very visable and has made it into the conscience of Pittsburghers. Unfortunately, because it has become so well known, people are beginning to think it is part of the public domain. There are more and more enterprising people selling N@ on items to make a buck off of my creation. I have nothing against enterprising people, just come up with your own idea and sell ‘it,’ not mine. A person can’t sell merchandise with the Steelers name, or Heinz, or the Terrible Towel on it.

I don’t have any problem with people using it on blogs.

That is the reason I contacted PittGirl. I’ve contacted other non-commercial users also. Indeed some non-commercial users have contacted me to ask permission which I gave. One example is Ruth Ann Daily who was using it in her Saturday cross word puzzle. Thank you, Ruth Ann, for asking.

My main purpose here wasn’t to stir up trouble and I had hoped this would be a private matter between myself and PittGirl. I just want it known that ‘N@’ is intellectual property and that it is trademarked.

I can understand some people’s chagrin at N@ being trademarked but that’s just the way things are. Did you know that the Patriots trademarked ’19-0′? Now that’s a worthless trademark. LOL

So that’s about it.

I’m not trying to cause trouble and I have to emphasize that I never threatened to take PittGirl to court. Why would I? It’s not like she’s trying to rip me off.

If you are looking for the N@ stickers or other N@ stuff you can’t get them online at this time. If you find some N@ gear online, let me know at
    clementefan[at]gmail[dot]com. My N@ stuff is only sold in Pittsburgh stores by Pittsburgh vendors. You can find where to get it here.

Peace… and

LET’S GO PENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw – GunnLino said –
    “It’s obvious there is a younger demographic target audience in the Cinci area, the oldsters in the ‘Burgh just would’nt get it.”

LOL! My mom STILL doesn’t get it.

24. PittCheMBA
    April 7, 2008 8:43 pm

#3 – Ken Rice’s una-brow rules!

25. PittCheMBA
    April 7, 2008 8:51 pm

#1 – WTAE TV has a feature called “Links N’@” with the perky cutie Ashley DiParlo, http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/linksnat/index.html. Is this trademark infringement?

26. returningBurgher
    April 7, 2008 9:14 pm

That video of channel 12 was hilarious. Yes, I would pay to see Sally Wiggin, Mike Clark, and the rest of the channel 4 crew dance.

Can you post a pic of this Sonni Abatta? I have yet to bask in the hotness. Thanks and keep up the great work.

27. Sue
    April 8, 2008 8:35 am

Its people like Jeff thats ruining the charm of our city and its reputation.
    The mighty $
    Gross

28. Chad
    April 8, 2008 9:02 am

I’ve been thinking of trademarking my own piece of (ahem) intellectual property, but since I don’t believe anyone should be allowed to own exclusive rights to a couple of letters and a symbol, I’ve decided to keep it in the public domain.

I urge you all to use it with impunity:

“N@SS”

By now, I’m sure you’ve figured out how and where to apply it.

April 8, 2008 10:03 am

jeff,

if you had no intention of suing pittgirl on this, then why mention it to her at all? I don’t think that anyone is going to confuse her usage of “n@” with what you are selling. it’s not like she is taking business away from you.

besides, anyone who posts an “n@” sticker on their car and pays you money in order to do so is an idiot. (but, kudos to you for making money off of them — ain’t capitalism great?)

same with those people who put those obnoxious “obx” and the rest of those kind of stickers on the backsides of their car. no one really gives a shit about where you like to summer.

also annoying: the people who post stickers that indicate which sport(s) their talented children play, along with their first names. is that the smartest thing to do — letting strangers know the first names of your kids?

30. Zsa
    April 8, 2008 11:38 am

#3: Kelsey Grammar’s character is absolutely, positively based on former WPXI anchor Kris Long (who gave off a really strong horndog vibe on air). It has nothing to do with Ken Rice.

MacYapper even says so!! http://216.109.125.130/search/cache?ei=UTF-8&p=%22kris+long%22+wpxi&y=Search&fr=yfp-t-501&u=www.pittsburghcitypaper.ws/gyrobase/Content%3Foid%3Doid%253A26248&w=%22kris+long%22+wpxi&d=AXtPXPH_QVx7&icp=1&.intl=us

31. ML
    April 8, 2008 2:37 pm

unsatisfied #29, triple word on the sports/kids’ names stickers, especially when they include the school’s name as well. I’m not a terribly paranoid person, but that seems to be going a little too far. Especially when, in my neighborhood, these are the same parents who insist on walking their kids to and waiting with them at the bus stop.

32. Christina
    April 8, 2008 3:20 pm

Not to defend anyone, but an intellectual trademark does stand here, and he does own it? It’s probably in PittGirl’s best interest not to use it, anyway, that way, in the future he can’t turn around and sue her or do anything for using his trademarked idea, even if he says that he won’t.

Settle down, minions! I mean, not to get anything thrown at me, but if someone buys “N@” bumper sticker, how is it any worse than buying a “PittGirl says drink” t-shirt?

(And I love this website and I read it everyday. Just saying. No offense to anyone.)

33. Ms. Mon
    April 8, 2008 7:41 pm

I’m surprised that no one has posited as to why PittGirl would be mortified by even the whiff of an impending lawsuit — her anonymity would be in jeopardy. Which is probably why she’s been so pleasantly compliant … then again, the person who finally outs her will become public enemy number one in the Burghosphere, won’t they?

The bottom line is, the fun ends, as does the fun-poking from the quasi-security of Internet anonymity — N@.

34. pittgirl
    April 8, 2008 8:29 pm

Ms. Mon,

Nail. Head. Hit.

35. Mikey
    April 12, 2008 9:23 pm

We had Jim Lokay up in the studio the other morning and played him Dance Party Fridays. He said there’s no chance their bosses would ever let him do it even though he’s seen the video and thinks it hilarious.

36. insider
    April 15, 2008 3:27 am

Post a picture of Sonni? How do you know she’s hot, if you haven’t seen her. She has bags under eyes right now.

37. Jeff R
    May 16, 2008 6:45 pm

Lokay can dance, all gay guys can. Abatta has to get the stick out of her a_s before she can do anything.