Random n’at

1. Re: American Idol. Michael Johns?! Michael Johns?! WTF? I call shenanigans.

2. Pensblog, which I’ve just recently started reading and really enjoying the heck out of, has 1,000 WWGRD bracelets ready to be sold for $5 each. What would Gary Roberts do? He’d buy a bracelet and shoot it at the eyeball of Wade Redden.

3. Speaking of the Pens, ESPN has an adorable interview with Marc-Andre Fleury, who as you might recall almost ran over me with his Porsche. Next time, I’m going to let him.

4. Search terms just yesterday that landed on my blog:

“Who is PittGirl, please.”

“PittGirl, Will you marry me?”

Is that you, Matt Lamanna?

5. Speaking of the Pens again, Lukey was too busy dealing with the Sirk/Ford fallout to enter into a wager with Ottowa’s mayor.

(h/t Marsh)

6. I recently began reading the story of Burgher Adam Frey, a 22-year-old wrestler at Cornell University who is now back in the Burgh as a patient at the Hillman Center fighting and writing about his fight against a rare form of testicular cancer. I about peed my pants when I read his account of going to the sperm bank WITH HIS MOTHER!

And everyone knew what I was doing because I had to carry my little test tube the whole way. So, I get into the room, and the whole time I am thinking, now my mother knows. All men know that the last person they want finding out, or even hinting at it is their mother. I lasted 22 years without a hitch. And my mom’s words of encouragement “Ok hunny, go do what you have to do and make sure you do not miss the tube.” So, you could see why I was a “little tense.”

Awkward!  The story is even better from there.

(h/t Mike)

7. Najeh Davenport may have been guilty of pooping in a closet, but he was acquitted on the charges of domestic battery. Now he can focus his attention on his sad-looking clothing store on Fifth Avenue.

(h/t Vivian)

8. Reader PittCheMBA forwarded me this article:

The Pirates today signed Craig Wilson, a first baseman and outfielder in their organization for nearly a decade until 2006, to a minor-league contract. He will be assigned to Class AAA Indianapolis.

Wilson, 31, had arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder in June, costing him the remainder of the season. He signed a minor-league deal with the Cincinnati Reds this offseason, but was cut early in spring training when failing a physical.

You see what’s happening here? When we run out of suck and need more suck, we go back and find our old suck and we hire back that suck despite the fact that no one else wants the old suck because the old suck is a sick, injured, useless suck.

God help us.

9. A full-color, 32-page comic book called “Pigeons From Hell.”

Set in the deep south, Pigeons tells the story of a damned house with a wicked past whose vile form casts a shadow of death on all who dare to enter. At dusk, as the sun slumps below the horizon, scores of pigeons can be seen flocking from the house in waning sunlight. The pigeons, they say, are the souls of the damned escaping from the very bowels of Hell itself.

“They say.” Who says? PITTGIRL SAYS!  I’d buy this and read it but you know?  I don’t need to have nightmares about David Conrad and I being attacked by pigeons in Soldiers and Sailors Hall.

(h/t John)

1. shouldBworking
    April 11, 2008 11:00 am

I had the pleasure of sitting and talking to Fleury for like a minute and that’s exactly how he was. I don’t think that grin leaves his face. He’s really very funny and very, very nice.

2. back in the burgh
    April 11, 2008 11:26 am

Fleury delivered our neighbor’s season tickets last year and showed us that grin the entire time … a bunch of neighborhood kids were there and he was signing everything and smiling for pictures until the PR lady finally told him to get in the car! He was so kind to all the kids … great guy!

Ordered a bunch of WWGRD wrist bands … fun stuff!

3. Sooska
    April 11, 2008 11:31 am

WWGRD? read the pigeon comic, then go kick Lukey’s ass.

4. Pensgirl
    April 11, 2008 11:48 am

You wanna seriously love Marc-Andre Fleury? Watch his Inside Penguins Hockey episode. He and Max are uproariously funny…though I feel for his girlfriend, who probably took her fair share of pranks while he was out hurt. Clearly, he’s nothing but trouble.

He’s also the best dresser on the team, no contest.

5. Anon
    April 11, 2008 11:50 am

Regarding item #4 (search terms)…here’s an interesting tidbit to add: the first Google result for “Pittgirl, you rock!” is your article entitled “Lukey is a rock star”. I found it amusing, anyway….

April 11, 2008 12:41 pm

here’s what I’d like to see:

gary roberts vs. chuck norris.

I don’t think that many people could give mr. walker, texas ranger a beat-down — but, I’m betting GR could.

7. Kathy
    April 11, 2008 2:02 pm

Regarding #1 – it was the ascots! Two weeks in a row he wore ascots!!! No one since Fred from Scooby-Doo and Speed Racer has worn ascots! Maybe he has a thing for cartoons.

8. lin
    April 11, 2008 2:22 pm

I’m sitting here in Bethany, WV, enjoying the whole Sirk-Ford-Lukey kerfluffle. Poor Alecia – Bethany College offered her a mediocre education with absolutely no moral component.

9. MiamiShyner
    April 11, 2008 2:34 pm

Shenanigans? Shenanigans! I agree. He was certainly not the best pick to go.

PS. A shenanigan coincidence? Only if it is will you know what I mean.

10. Em
    April 11, 2008 2:40 pm

Hello PittGirl!
    Thanks for making my workdays semi-bearable.
    Here is a new Penguins blog for ya!

11. Dan (Not Onarato)
    April 11, 2008 2:52 pm

Gary Roberts counted to infinity twice….this afternoon

Take THAT Chuck Norris!

12. bobbypie
    April 11, 2008 7:22 pm

Najeh Davenport has a clothing store?

13. julietc5
    April 12, 2008 12:32 am

Who is that adorable man/puppy in today’s header?
    I must know, clearly, he’s my long-lost self united husband.

14. pittgirl
    April 12, 2008 10:46 am

Julietc5,

That is Adam Frey. See number 6 in the post.

;)

15. julietc5
    April 12, 2008 1:38 pm

omg. now, i sort of feel like an ass. I swear I’m not a crazy stalker… I just think he’s cute. ;c)

16. pittgirl
    April 12, 2008 7:02 pm

You have absolutely nothing to feel bad about. He IS quite the handsome.

17. expghgirl
    April 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Come on, where the heck are you? I have spent the morning checking in and NOTHING! Surely we’re not supposed to work the entire day? Sure hope everything’s okay…if it isn’t, sorry, but if it is then you have some ‘splainin’ to do!

18. Pingback: The Burgh Blog » Zero.