BREAD!

A conversation that occurred exactly as I’m about to write it between PittGirl and my brother-in-law as we dined at my mother’s house for birthday dinner for my sister (95-lb. Penguins freak and wife of said brother-in-law) and we just realized that the last two piping hot dinner rolls had been eaten.

PittGirl: As surely as my name is PittGirl, rolls are delicious. I could eat bread and only bread forever and ever. Amen.

Brother in Law: I agree. I don’t care what anyone says. Carbs are good!

PittGirl: Word.

BIL: Yeah, and when people talk about back in the old days we lived on bread and butter —

PG: Lucky!

BIL: Exactly! What the hell’s wrong with eating just rolls and butter?

PG: I’d LOVE to live on rolls and butter. Who needs meat and vegetables?!

BIL: Hello!? POTATO BREAD!

PG: Vegetables!

Mother of PittGirl: [offering a plate] Does anyone want any more —

BIL: Is it more BREAD?!

PG: Is it rolls?

BIL: Was it bread at one point?

PG: Could it become bread?

Sister of PittGirl: [rolling her eyes] Oh. My. God.

1. merman
    April 15, 2008 12:02 pm

You bitterness has caused you to cling to buns and margarine.

2. pittgirl
    April 15, 2008 12:23 pm

HAH!

3. LisaC
    April 15, 2008 12:47 pm

AMEN!
    [BOL?? BIL maybe?]

4. PittinDC
    April 15, 2008 1:09 pm

I’m soooo with you PittGirl. And I’m sure that my brother, who would only eat rolls and butter at Thanksgiving dinner until he was 20, would agree as well.

5. pittgirl
    April 15, 2008 1:17 pm

Lisa, thank you!

I am an idiot. :)

All fixed.

6. elysianfantasy
    April 15, 2008 1:25 pm

I just stumbled upon your blog last night, and I must say I am now totally addicted.

Just like I am addicted to bread. Those rolls in the picture look sooooo yummy!!!

Thank you for being totally awesome!

7. Muddypelican
    April 15, 2008 1:37 pm

rolls, bread and anything to dip it in, butter, olive oil, sauce… Love bread and dippins!

8. KGC
    April 15, 2008 1:52 pm

My Mother made home-made bread and rolls when I was younger.. we couldn’t wait until the rolls came out of the oven, attacking the center rolls first, side rolls second, with lots of BUTTER. No margarine or oils.. BUTTER.

I choose and rate restaurants by the type of bread and/or rolls served. Honest. My favorites are those that serve a HOT french loaf-type.. must be HOT and the restaurant must have BUTTER. Mmmmmmm. Fresh Italian bread is a close second. Again, warmed is ideal.

9. Katie
    April 15, 2008 2:11 pm

Word to the bread luvin. I’m pretty sure at 21 I still live off the bread/rolls at my family get togethers….

10. Steve S
    April 15, 2008 2:26 pm

KGC please share you top 5 bread restaurants…

11. pittgirl
    April 15, 2008 3:03 pm

Texas Roadhouse is definitely in my top 5.

12. Christina
    April 15, 2008 3:15 pm

Walnut Grill in Shadyside and John Harvard’s have the most delicious, warm breads along with equally awesome dipping oils. Ruth’s Chris is great, too.

I would be willing to conduct a bread-eating tour of all the restaurants in the city. Delight.

13. Tony N
    April 15, 2008 3:39 pm

I just KNEW it would be good time to be at a dinner party with the PittGirl family. Aaron Sorkin couldn’t come up with better banter.

14. Eileen
    April 15, 2008 3:50 pm

How about Breadworks? They are only good if you eat them on the day they are baked. next day they are nasty.

For those old enough, Stouffer’s Rest., they used to make a different kind of roll each day (from scratch) Can’t believe they went out of the rest. business and into frozen foods. I used to love their food.

When my family goes out to dinner. We eat the second basket of rolls for desert.
    My father judges a place by the rolls and coffee.

15. Katie
    April 15, 2008 4:07 pm

I’m not so much of fan of the rest of the restaurant, but those cheesy biscuit things at Red Lobster are amazing too. :)

16. KGC
    April 15, 2008 5:03 pm

Steve S.. I would but they’re not around Pittsburgh. I travel a lot to Northeast PA (every week for nearly 6 years). Here goes for there.. 1. Feed Mill, White Haven, PA (hot french loaf); 2. Robert Christian’s, Blakeslee, PA (hot french loaf); 3. Dementi’s, Mountaintop, PA (fresh Italian); 4. Power House, White Haven, PA (fresh Italian/home-made)

I rarely eat out in Pittsburgh except for fun food – wings, etc. so I don’t have any favorite Pittsburgh restaurants. Nearly 12 years of business travel, with at least 270 nights for over 6 years, leave me sick of eating out. Geez, how many more ways can you fix prime rib? Trust me, I’ve experienced some very weird ways. Chicken suks. Scallops are OK. Most fish suks. Usually, the highlight of my dinner is the bread and the wine.

17. Steeler_tom
    April 15, 2008 7:52 pm

I remember when I lived in Spain….
    You got bread fresh everyday..
    The kind with the hard crust…..
    I wish I could find something like that….
    I love bread!

18. C.S. Keys
    April 15, 2008 8:51 pm

True that, boo.

April 15, 2008 9:21 pm

Katie — totally. red lobster biscuits are the bomb.

totally.

20. Still A. Fan
    April 15, 2008 9:58 pm

texas roadhouse beats red lobster by a rib in the rolls area.

i go there (last friday night) thinking “eat healthy, eat healthy, eat healthy, eat healthy” and the waitress comes over and i say ” i want the grilled salmon and steamed broccoli”….”YES! i’m eating healthy, i’m eating healthy, i’m eating healthy……”

as i unbuckle my pants after the 17th roll smothered in sin-a-butter…..i’m thinking “curse the one who brings us plastic buckets filled with hot baked joy……curse her curse her curse her……..”

21. JP
    April 16, 2008 7:15 am

I like rye bread in a major way. I lived in Germany and the Czech Republic for about 7 years and their rye bread could not be beat still miss it to this day especially slathered in that unsalted butter they have. As far as P-burgh goes my vote is for Piccolo Forno in Lawrenceville. They used to run a bakery in the strip as well which was amazing. Unfortunately, Antonio, proprietor and head baker passed away about a year and a half ago and they had to consolidate, but the bread remains unbeatable, no butter though, just olive oil. As far as bakeries go Sanchioli Brothers in Bloomfield gets my vote, but I have to say, Giant Eagle Centre ave market district bakery does a great job as well especially their olive oil bread. Jenny Lee bakery in market square and Potomac bakery in Dormont and Enrico’s in the strip get shout outs as well

22. lin
    April 16, 2008 7:19 am

Carbs ‘n’ fat
    ‘n’at
    Are where it’s at.

23. Sarah
    April 16, 2008 9:04 am

Mediterra in Robinson supplies alot of Pittsburgh restaurants with the bread they serve. They have a small retail store at the bakery which is heaven!!
    Chocolate cherry bread toasted with butter or cream cheese…

April 16, 2008 9:37 am

still a. fan — I haven’t had the pleasure of having a roll from texas roadhouse, so I can’t compare.

but, for the biscuits at red lobster — you don’t need no stinkin’ butter. you don’t need anything — they are awesome as they are. yum.

25. pittgirl
    April 16, 2008 9:56 am

Ah, unsatisfied, but the butter at Texas Roadhouse is not just BUTTER. Sure you could eat the steaming hot bread without it, but Texas Roadhouse adds in cinnamon or honey or some other such very bad for you sugar product to their butter resulting in whipped, soft, sugary, delicious fattiness.

I’m totally going there this weekend now.

26. xena
    April 16, 2008 10:54 am

The trick at Texas Roadhouse is to order a salad. For some inconceivable reason, they don’t have a steak salad on the menu. I used to get the grilled chicken, hold the chicken, keep the fries, and substitute a cut-up filet for chicken.

Now I just order a Caesar salad and eat the bread. All that meat was just takin’ up space.

27. Still A Fan
    April 16, 2008 7:14 pm

pittgirl, try this….it’s our family move…..

when the waitress comes over for the second time after you have your food….make like you could care less, but ask your significant other “do you want some more rolls? no?….oh wait, yeah? do you? ok, can you bring us some more rolls…..”

BINGO.

since wifey pooh eats like a bird (not a pigeon) we get a “to go” box and not only do we put the ENTIRE basket of new rolls in, but we take the butter too. i’m a healthy eater 82% of the time. however, i’d eat that butter with a spoon like it’s yogurt.

and i cant believe the prices there….they are so much more reasonable than red lobster, TGIF and houlihan’s.