Random n’at

1. I’m still trying my very hardest to un-see the naked body of Santonio Holmes and it’s. Just. Not. Working.  I might have to kill myself.

I’m joking.  Don’t email me. I’m not going to kill myself.  Unless David Conrad asks me to.

OMG. I’m JOKING!

2.  Did you know that Barack Obama is a life-long Steeler fan?

I’m not sure I’m buying what he’s trying to sell me.  How conveeeeenient. [/Church Lady]

3.  Marian Hossa lives somewheresabout on the North Shore [calibrating Stalk-O-Meter now] and he’s falling a bit in love with The Burgh and I REALLY hope he sticks around for a while.

4.  The Buccos of Suckitude continue their slow, deliberate descent into EPIC FAIL (tm Leo).

They were destroyed last night 10-4, bringing their six-game losing streak runs to 58 runs to 16 runs.  They’re not just losing; they’re losing like there’s no tomorrow and that this might be their last chance ever to grace the world with their suck.

Neal Huntington, the Pirates’ general manager, made clear yesterday that some individual performances must be elevated for players to remain part of the franchise’s long-term future.

Neal, I don’t think your players really care if they aren’t part of this frickin’ franchise’s long-term future.  Hell, I don’t think the Pirate Parrot wants to be a part of this franchise’s long-term future.

You guys suck so hard.  I can’t take it anymore.

Where’s Henry Rowengartner when you need his punk ass?

5.  Catherine Baker Knoll, our Lieutenant Governor, made a giant fool out of Lukey, Dan Onorato, and herself (I think) at a Clinton rally yesterday:

When Onorato tried to hand over the microphone, Knoll grabbed it and let loose with some talk targeted at Onorato and Mayor Luke Ravenstahl.  “They never recognize the lieutenant governor. These two men can’t stand women,” she said, before leaving the stage while talking to Onorato.

I can’t decide if Catherine Baker Knoll is a whole lot of Giant Cojones or a little bit of Batshit Crazy.

Maybe both.

Crazy bitch.

(h/t The Burgher and The Mysterious M)

6.  Hank Williams wore this shirt for his performance with Brad Paisley at the 2008 CMT Awards:

PittGirl = pleased.

7.  The Angry Drunk Dude is on a roll with this post regarding a misspelled Dan Deasy campaign sign.  The last picture is by far the best.

8.  Again, is it almost time for another Pens game yet?!

1. addie
    April 22, 2008 10:29 am

#2 – What you don’t see in the YouTube video is Obama noticing Franco Harris in the crowd and giving him a shout-out, saying he idolized him. He said more about the Steelers, listed names of players he liked back in the day, so he might not be making it up. He also said that he roots for the Bears because he lives in Chicago – so it’s not like he totally sold out to the PGH crowd. I think he might have meant it.

2. lisalisa
    April 22, 2008 10:43 am

I was watching the CMT awards and I’ll admit that I squealed a little when he came out. Gotta love a man whose best awards show outfit is a Steel Curtain shirt!

April 22, 2008 10:47 am

#2) personally, I don’t give a triple yoi if obama has dan rooney’s personal phone number.

just get us out of the morass that is iraq.

oh, and stop bowling.

#5) you go, cathy baker knoll — because, yesterday’s rally was all about you.

I do like her batshit craziness, though — she and I DEFINITELY need to party one of these days. I wonder if bill was thinking the same thing, since he likes women so much.

#6) bocephus is definitely a long-time steelers fan. the shirt is nice — but, anyone have an idea of where I can get that belt? that shit is tight.

4. Pittsburgh Tom (in NJ)
    April 22, 2008 11:08 am

Something just occurred to me. Cathy Baker Knoll is one potential Rendell vice-presidential bid away from being our governor.

If Clinton chooses to reward Fast Eddie for the whoring… er, I mean campaigning he’s been doing in PA with the second spot on the ticket, and of course they would have to win, Knoll would go from lieutenant governor to governor and the fun would really begin.

5. Lou
    April 22, 2008 11:22 am

If I had to guess, I bet Hossa lives in the Heinz Lofts. A few Steelers and Buccos live there and I imagine other Pens might as well.

Obama’s pandering. Don’t believe him. He probably was talking about how he loved Jim Brown and Otto Graham while in Cleveland a few months ago.

6. Puma
    April 22, 2008 11:37 am

She’s batshit crazy. But she’s point-positive that you can say whatever you feel, apologize later and still have a political career. Most people in Harrisburg are scared to death of her.

If she becomes governor, I give her 90 days before we invade and occupy West Virginia.

7. cz
    April 22, 2008 11:42 am

Why is it hard for you to believe that Obama was a Steeler’s fan growing up?

8. PittinDC
    April 22, 2008 11:42 am

If Obama really is a Steelers fan, and back it up with knowledge, such as addie noted above, that is fine. What is not fine is bringing it up the day before the primary. That’s just shady. Its not like he hasn’t been here for 2 months. He could have brought it up then. By bringing up now, he’s using it to try and get votes. And that, I am not ok with. Fandom and politics should remain separate.. like church and state.

9. addie
    April 22, 2008 11:57 am

@PittinDC

One of the related videos on YouTube is a fan video posted on March 13, where he tells the same story (doesn’t say when the interview was, though) of being a fan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmiZs2stDRQ

The Trib-Review also has more video from his rally last night, with more of his Steelers comments.

(For the record, I couldn’t care less what team the man supported as a kid…)

10. Christina
    April 22, 2008 12:01 pm

5. CBK is certifiably crazy. I’ve heard from reliable sources that she is suffering from mild dementia. She probably has no idea where she was yesterday.

She probably thought she was shopping for groceries at the A&P and thought the broccoli was talking back to her. Or felt that the butcher was dealing her some major disrespect by offering her less than the center cut of beef. Who knows.

It is pretty awesome that she got all old-lady-crazy on the old boys’ club. They probably plotted afterward at the Duquesne Club around cigars about how to legally shove her into a home if Rendell is nominated for the vice-presidency.

11. JP
    April 22, 2008 12:02 pm

Obama , would get my vote if he would borrow that outfit from Hank Williams and hit up Arsenal Lanes for the rock n’ bowl

12. Pensgirl
    April 22, 2008 12:20 pm

3. Well hopefully by the time he has to make the decision, they’ll be etching his name in silver. Nothing makes you love a place like winning there!

8. Thursday or Friday would be my guess (what you can’t see is me pulling my hair out).

13. richinpgh
    April 22, 2008 12:26 pm

#5) Even if Fast Eddie doesn’t get the VEEP nod, CBK is still just one cheesesteak-induced heart blockage away from the Governor’s mansion. Be very afraid!

14. efw_west
    April 22, 2008 12:26 pm

invading West Virginia….that was a good one!

15. Jennifer
    April 22, 2008 1:44 pm

Obama has mentioned being a steelers fan back in the day before. This isn’t the first time he has brought it up. Doesn’t make it true, but he does seem to have knowledge and has mentioned it before.

16. PittinDC
    April 22, 2008 2:04 pm

Thanks for the updated info. Its still just a bit interesting that its making its way into the big time the day before the primary.. but like I said.. in my world, fandom and politics shouldn’t mix. Though, you’d think he would have exploited that a bit more if it is true!!

17. Pittsburgh Tom (in NJ)
    April 22, 2008 2:06 pm

Of course, you couldn’t blame Obama for keeping quiet about being a Steelers fan when campaigning in places like Ohio. The true test is whether he has ever claimed to be a fan of another team. For example, didn’t Hillary claim to be a Cubs fan until she moved to New York and started wearing a Mets cap?

Also, declaring any fandom in a state with more than one sport city. Claiming the Steelers risks alienating the Eagles fans (trust me, it doesn’t take much to alienate them) so I don’t think he’d say it if it wasn’t true.

On a semi-related note, does anyone remember a photo op in Pittsburgh during the Clinton presidency where first lady Hillary was given a Primanti’s sandwich to eat and she took one look at it and refused? I distinctly remember this. She’s been eating cheesesteaks here recently. Is she still too good for Primanti’s?

And someone give Obama a Primanti’s sandwich. I do think it’s cool that he made it to Pamela’s. God I miss Pittsburgh food.

18. Brian
    April 22, 2008 2:08 pm

Personally, I would let Catherine Baker Knoll talk in public every chance we get. If she gets shy, liquor her up. Let CBK just go friggin’ batshit with a live mic on unsuspecting victims in Market Square every fucking Friday at lunchtime. Remember when shit bands like the Clarks used to play Market Square in the summer? Yeah, no more torture from them, as we have CBK to scream at and degrade men, women, children, the eldery, the sick, homeless people, whoever happens to accidentally cross her path. I want a CBK rampage.

19. addie
    April 22, 2008 2:49 pm

Tom – He admitted last night that he roots for the Bears now, but that the Steelers were the team of his youth and he “still has a special place” in his heart for them. Seemed like more of a nostalgia thing. He certainly knew more 70s-era players’ names to drop than I would have.

For what it’s worth, I was at the rally last night and it seemed like the whole Steelers commentary really was a stream-of-consciousness reaction to spotting Franco Harris in the crowd, rather than a vote-getter.

20. Eileen
    April 22, 2008 2:53 pm

How about when Hilary talks of her fond memories of Pittsburgh. She used to cut through here going to Scranton to see her grandparents. I wish one reporter would have asked her “What exactly is one, just one, of your great memories of Pittsburgh?”
    I think they would probably just be of the Howard Johnson’s on the turnpike.

CBK is a nutcase. Did you ever see her official photo compared to what she really looks like. Talk about airbrushing.

21. Lynsie
    April 22, 2008 3:35 pm

I’ve been looking for a picture of Hank Williams Jr. wearing that shirt/dress for days now! So fashionable – so sexy – so AMAZING!

22. Katie
    April 22, 2008 4:06 pm

Well, there might just be a Primanti’s sandwich in Obama’s future…. Last night on The Daily Show, Jon Stewart did an interview with Obama. Stewart made it a point to tell him that while he’s in Pittsburgh he has to go grab one of their sandwiches. He just loved that they’re served “with actual potatoes inside them.” And Obama said he’d try it. Nothing like awesome Pittsburgh food :)

Video here if anyone wants to see it, starts at 4:40

23. pittgirl
    April 22, 2008 4:11 pm

Okay, guys. Listen. If it had been Hillary Clinton claiming to be a Steeler fan I would have written the exact same thing. It wasn’t meant to be political. It just seemed convenient that he could tell a crowd of Burghers that he’s been a Steeler fan for ages, is all.

24. Still A. Fan
    April 22, 2008 9:40 pm

remember when hilary moved to NY and wore a yankees cap? this from a lifelong cub’s fan? politicians are so out of touch that they think they can boondoggle a few votes out of us by claiming to like a city’s teams.

i once read a book about how to beat a salesman up over buying a car. in it, it claimed an old school trick was to buddy up to the person by figuring out their team allegiance and following suit. i shit you not – while buying a car in the greater philadelphia area (i need to say that i guess since i live officially 16 miles out of the city limit) a dude asked me where i grew up. when i said my hometown, he didnt recognize it. he asked where it was….i said in the pittsburgh area…..and he immediately becaome a fan of the steelers. i just chuckled. i fel like setting him up and asking him about false things to see if he would play along. it’s called “forced teaming” and child predators use it as well as described in the book “protecting the gift”. although, in that sense – “teaming” isnt about sports teams….its about aligning yourself to make it seem like you are in the same situation as another person for devious reasons…..

but i digress…………

April 23, 2008 11:15 am

“… before we invade and occupy West Virginia.”

Puma,

If it wouldn’t be too much trouble. And send some good 6.0+ beer with the troops, would you?

Hugs,

bucdaddy, Morgantown

Eileen,

Hillary no doubt remembers coming under sniper fire while sprinting down the Parkway West.