Me and Rob Owen. We’re like THAT.

I love Back to You. There. I said it. Whatever.

I love looking out for those Burgh references and in the episode two weeks ago in which the sportscaster Marsh (the incomparable Fred Willard) threw a surprise birthday party for the Kelsey Grammer/Ken Rice [snicker] character (a party that was sponsored by Schwatz Beer, no less) I caught two things:

A Pittsburgh Passion t-shirt:

And a Pittsburgh Xplosion t-shirt:

Awesome.

And, I also happened to read what Rob Owen said:

If only they’d get rid of the show’s biggest misstep, the news director character, Ryan (Josh Gad), who is written as an over-the-top, unrealistic newsroom leader.

Gasp! Gasp!

Gasp!

I LOVE Josh Gad and his portrayal of Ryan, the overweight, lovable, sweaty news director. He has me in stitches every episode with his delivery of the most basic of lines. And. AND he’s a CMU alum (h/t Sonni Abatta)!

Here’s a scene that I loved in that same episode after Ryan had accidentally stumbled across the disturbing bedroom of sportscaster Marsh and his sexaholic wife Peg:

“I think my face is going to melt.” HAH!

So my point is this, Rob Owen, take your stupid WRONG opinion and shove it up y-…

Just kidding! Seriously though, stop being mean and WRONG.

Leave Josh alone or there might be an Annoying Burgher “crown” in your future.

1. Pensgirl
    April 29, 2008 10:11 am

So, you are Ken Rice then. ;)

2. Megs
    April 29, 2008 1:03 pm

Looooved the bedroom scene! I missed what happened after they were ‘forced’ to the basement for more :D

3. Rob Owen
    April 29, 2008 1:35 pm

Hey PittGirl,

I have nothing against Josh. He seemed like a nice guy when we met last summer. I just don’t buy that someone as clueless and socially inept as Ryan (Josh’s character) would land the newsroom leader job. Not that I haven’t known some inept news directors, but they at least exuded self-confidence. Perhaps reflecting reality is asking too much of a sitcom, but I really enjoy “Back to You,” which is accurate about enough other TV news details that to me the Ryan character stands out like a sore thumb. Also, I wasn’t being “mean” to Josh, I wrote about the *character* as conceived by the show’s writers (not that I would hesitate to pan a performance by someone with Pittsburgh connections; it’s not my job to go easy on the Pittsburghers). And, as always, it’s just one guy’s opinion.

I think the creators of “Back to You” may have struggled with the conception of the Ryan character. The actor originally cast in the role, Paul Campbell (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1353748/), looks nothing like Josh (Campbell was replaced right before the pilot was filmed). One theory some fellow TV critics and I discussed: Maybe as originally conceived the character was viewed as being too much like Miles on “Murphy Brown,” which led to the last-minute change that landed Josh the role.

Anyway, thanks for reading. Keep up the entertaining blog posts!

4. Pittsburgh Tom (in NJ)
    April 29, 2008 4:03 pm

I think the Ryan character would bother me less if he was the assistant news director, thus giving him less authority. Bring in someone like, say Robert Guillaume’s character from Sports Night, to be main news director.

Overall I love the show, especially seeing Pittsburgh references on national tv. I especially loved the not being able to pronounced Monongahela episode since I grew up on Monongahela St. and spent significant time in the city of Monongahela growing up. So I learned to pronounce it before kindergarten.

Now I’m really bothered by the new changes to the show. I hate that they got rid of the weathergirl. Yeah, she was mostly eye candy, but when her and kelly played off of each other, it was almost always funny.

Also, I do not care for the new Gracie. She was only in one scene that I saw, but it seems they’re trying to go Full House by adding a cute little kid.

5. PGHnLynchburg
    April 29, 2008 5:58 pm

My favorite ‘Burgh reference so far is during banter between Chuck and Kelly before they go on the air. Chuck mentions that he had a date the night before and says, “I took her to a nice little deli on Liberty.” Aghast, Kelly says, “There are delis on Liberty?!?!!?!” Only a true yinzer could appreciate a line like that!

6. Sarah
    April 30, 2008 11:42 am

OK. I’m going to give in.

I want to see this show. When is it on? And on what channel? Pittgirl is the only person that seems to know about it.

7. pittgirl
    April 30, 2008 2:16 pm

Sarah, “Back to You” on Fox. Wednesdays. TONIGHT!