Random n’at

1. New yellow wedge sandals with a peek-a-boo toe. My preciousssssss. [stroke stroke]

2. Woy and I were texting yesterday while I was at Texas Roadhouse eating my weight in bread (BREAD!) and honey cinnamon butter and he was somewhere feeling sad that he wasn’t at the Van Halen concert, and Dionne Warwick entered the conversation (don’t ask) and then he texted two words that unleashed a flood of previously dammed (not damned. DAMMED.) memories. “SOLID GOLD!”

The memories are foggy, but I remember something about giant loads of disco cheese, right? Big giant disco ball? Sequined gold shorts on dancers? Andy Gibb? The life’s dream to be a Solid Gold Dancer? Is any of this ringing a bell?

3. Speaking of disco cheese, Billy P, Bill Peduto, wrote and informed me that the Rangers will lose tonight because the Rangers are LOSERS, and lo and behold, he has proof!

If you had to vote between that and the Penguins BMW commercial, which would you say most makes you want to spray Bactine into your eyeballs?

4. Millions in uncounted change sitting in a warehouse somewhere, future revenue from the drink tax, and the Port Authority needs a loan. Yeah, that sounds about right.

5. The Duke of Fug and the Earl of Gross went and did a very non-fug and non-gross thing.

6. Myron Cope’s son is 40, autistic and cannot speak and was the inspiration behind the Terrible Towel. I had no idea. I think I need to read his book, right?

7. The Buccos of Suckitude beat the Mets 13-1 yesterday. I am so confused.

8. Something went boom! under the ground in downtown this morning and I swear I felt it. I reached for Saucy thinking she was vibrating. Let’s hope it’s not a Graboid. If it is a Graboid, I just want you to know that it’s the BOYS’ job to kill it.

1. BagitTagit
    May 1, 2008 10:04 am

I hate to say it… but the Pens one is STILL worse.

I just can’t handle how bad it is.

May 1, 2008 10:05 am

2&3) solid gold. sasson. the fact that I DID go to the van halen (w/diamond dave) concert last night.

is this really 2008 or 1984?

6) actually, all of the proceeds from sales of the terrible towel go to the school that myron’s son attended, if memory serves. awesome.

7. don’t be confused, PG. there is another game tonight — another chance for disappointment.

3. NY Luvs Pitts
    May 1, 2008 10:24 am

Ben is so nice. I hope he has a stellar year. Especially now that he has his tall receiver.

4. Magnus Patris
    May 1, 2008 10:25 am

Having lived in Virginia for 22 years then moving back, I have to say that no matter how bad the Pirates are; it’s better than having no team. I refused to support the Orioles and wad happy when the Expos became the Nationals. The Nationals stink and up until this year they played in a nasty, dirty cement monstrosity (RFK Stadium; think Three Rivers without the warmth and charm). But for three years we rooted for our stinky Nats. I’d rather have a stinky team than no team at all. But It would be nice to have a .500 season this year.

5. Dawn
    May 1, 2008 10:30 am

After years of therapy I can openly admit now that my life goal when I was in grade school was to become a Solid Gold dancer. That’s right. I said it. Big hair, lame (pronounced “La-May” not “L-AIM”… though in retrospect…), and sassy moves. Awwwww Yeaahhhh… :)

So who am I to rant when my 8 year old cousin declares that she wants to be a Deal or No Deal briefcase girl when she grows up? I’ll just buy her a Simone de Beauvoir book for her birthday… that should cure her.

6. Not Janice or Holly
    May 1, 2008 10:33 am

That’s nothing. I wanted to be one of the furniture strokers on “The Price is Right.”

7. apk
    May 1, 2008 10:47 am

re: the Pirates

Former Pirate Oliver Perez pitched for the Mets.

Mystery solved. Confusion subsiding?

8. fraggle
    May 1, 2008 11:28 am

I thought my phone was vibrating too this morning. Nope just an underground explosion. I thought I was getting a Twitter update.

9. Gumby
    May 1, 2008 11:29 am

I wish the Pirates would have spread those runs over 3-4 games. Now they won’t score again for a week.

10. BurgherinArkansas
    May 1, 2008 12:07 pm

I just bought the yellow peep toe wedges (Steve Madden)…love them…and I know this was a little later than solid gold, but I wanted to be a back up dancer for Janet Jackson

11. Christina
    May 1, 2008 12:20 pm

2. Two words: Marilyn McCoo. Frequent board commenter Brian and myself discuss her frequently. I wanted to be her so badly. Still do. (She and Donna Summer. *sigh*)

12. Stephanique1
    May 1, 2008 12:23 pm

2.) Solid Gold was awesome. I vaguely remember watching it on Saturday nights. Wasn’t there a show that came on after that featured Sha Na Na performing?

13. DW
    May 1, 2008 1:12 pm

The music has magic,
    You know you can catch it;
    If you let the songs take control…

The sound starts to glisten,
    The more that you listen,
    And slowly it turns into gold…

SOLID GOLD!! Filling up my life with music.
    SOLID GOLD!! Putting rhythm in my soul.

14. Sarah
    May 1, 2008 1:15 pm

That big bang was right under our building! They were even nice enough to let us know not to panic and every thing was ok – an hour after it happened and surged our power. :)

15. chrys
    May 1, 2008 1:26 pm

Loved Solid Gold!!
    Saturday night was an awesome night for TV.. along with The Love Boat and Fantasy Island!

16. back in the burgh
    May 1, 2008 2:37 pm

Wasn’t Star Search on just before Solid Gold? The original American Idol! PittGirl gets … 4 stars!!!

17. John
    May 1, 2008 3:35 pm

Solid Gold? Respect level for PittGirl’s 80s TV knowledge rising.

18. Rachel
    May 1, 2008 3:50 pm

Can I just say I inwardly flipped out when I read “Graboids”? There was a tiny little squeal and everything.

Not only is Tremors one of my fave childhood movies, but “Graboids” was also the answer to last Monday’s Hop House trivia question. It was my single contribution to the team. Aw, Valentine!

19. Pittsburgh Tom (in NJ)
    May 1, 2008 4:03 pm

Funny. On the same day as Graboids being referenced here, I had a discussion at lunch with co-workers about the Tremors movies. And I didn’t initiate the discussion.

The scary part is, the discussion started with a “Tremors 2” reference and not one person at the table didn’t get the reference.

20. SportyGal85
    May 1, 2008 4:15 pm

I was born in ’85…what the hell is “Solid Gold”? Was that like “Soul Train”?

21. Still A Fan
    May 1, 2008 6:13 pm

4 words….”the solid gold dancers”

they used to make appearances on other shows like bob hope specials and whatnot.

wasntthere also “dance fever” starring danny terio or something as the host? it was a precursor to “dancing with the stars” minus the stars….and the dance skill……

maybe it was denny. three dolla bill y’all

22. TheJim
    May 1, 2008 8:04 pm

Poor WoyDaddy. If they live long enough to go back on tour, we’ll definitely go again!

May 1, 2008 8:57 pm

Screw Van Halen. The Rev. Horton Heat and Nashville Pussy are coming to your town on a Saditty night … twice the fun at, what, 1/5 the price?

24. Kelli
    May 2, 2008 10:15 am

bucdaddy – it is only 1/5 the price if you compare the most expensive Van Halen ticket to the Rev. Horton Heat/Nashville Pussy tickets.

However, if you compare the cheapest, it is more like half the cost.

That being said – I’m saving my money for the Rev. And thankfully it is on a Saturday – I’m an old lady* and had to miss the last Drive-by Trucker’s show because it was on a Tuesday night.

*I’m not really that old, I just feel like it when I stay out late and have to be up for work in the morning.