Is Andy Van Slyke up next?

It’s hard to believe it, but you guys know I wouldn’t tell you a lie … unless it was a funny lie … and this is not even a little bit funny.

There are still people on the planet that proudly admit that they are die-hard Buccos of Suckitude fans.  People that go to every game and know every player (I know three: Freddy Sanchez, Jason Bay, and Doug Drabek.  What?).  People that have not yet tossed their every Buccos collectible into an angry bonfire.  People that look at a 15-year losing record and say, “Next year.  Next year we’re winning the whole damn thing.”  Delusional people.

Mondesi’s House has found the nation’s die-est hard-est Buccos of Suckitude fans and your job is to go and vote because the winner gets some pretty sweet prizes.  Well, for THEM they are prizes, for PittGirl, it’s more like tinder.  But whatever.

The finalists range from the sad to the very sad.  I mean, these people truly love the Buccos.  I cannot comprehend that. It’s like loving a spouse that kicks you 62.5%  of the time but that other 37.5% of the time, he’s a total winner.  Why would you still love that spouse?

That’s a bad analogy.  Bite me.

Wow.  I’m testy today.  Bite me.

HAH!

Okay, I’m done.  So listen, my favorite by FAR is Zach from Austin, Texas.  Would you look at his picture with his friends at the game.  He keeps score during the game!

You know how PittGirl keeps score when she’s dragged by her thick, lustrous hair to a Buccos game at PNC Park?  I hear a loud collective groan and scattered boos after the crack of a bat, I look up from Saucy on whom I’m playing a killer game of PacMan,  then I look up at the scoreboard and go, “Huh.  Another home run.  That Doug Drabek sucks.  Hey! Can I get some more beer over here!?”  THAT’S how you keep score at a Buccos game.

Go vote!

1. Stephanique1
    May 7, 2008 12:32 pm

Awww my fave is Grace Zimmerman. She’s 87 for crying out loud. Said she’s been a fan since 1935. Now THAT’S devotion.

2. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    May 7, 2008 12:36 pm

PittGirl, I totally understand your inability to comprehend how people can still cheer for a perennial loser. However, I have to confess that I am one of those people that despite the suckitudi-ness of the Buccos, I’m still a die-hard fan, too. Can’t really explain it. I haven’t lived in Pittsburgh for nearly ten years, but I still have full season tickets. My sisters, friends and family reap the benefits of me living almost 3,000 miles away. Tickets seldom go unusued and when they do, I simply donate them to Tickets For Kids (so kids that normally wouldn’t get a chance to see a game, can). If you ever want tickets to a game, just let me know and if they are not claimed, they’re yours. (All of the Yankees games are claimed.)

I guess it can be attributed to that concept of unconditional acceptance/love. Think of it like this — Hitler, Ted Bundy, Idi Amin, that guy who ate his victims whose name I can’t remember. These guys sucked BIG TIME, but I bet you their mothers still loved them. When a serial killer or some god-awful crime occurs you always see that neighbor/family member on the news saying “he was such a nice boy, he helped me carry my groceries/shovel my walk/fix things around my house…” I don’t think it’s delusional — irrational maybe.

I believe another reason I am such a die hard fan is that I was a child in Pittsburgh when the Pirates and Steelers were great. Mills were closing, there was an energy crisis, people were leaving town left and right. As a kid, you didn’t really know what was going on, but you sensed something wasn’t right. Parents wanted to distract their children from the “bad” and going to the ballpark was a fairly inexpensive way to do so. My mom would pack up me and my three sisters and we’d hop on the bus to Three Rivers for a Pirates’ game — total bus fare for four kids and one adult was about $2.00 including the transfers, 4 general admission youth tickets and one adult ticket was $6.50. We’d pack our own picnic lunch — sandwiches, doritos and individual iced teas in the cardboard containers. My mom taught us how to score a game and the only real rule was that we had to actually watch the game — no running up and down the aisles, not annoying the people around us, no begging for something from the concession/souvenier stands. When I look back on my childhood, some of my most vivid memories are of those times, even during the 80s when the Pirates sucked. On Sunday afternoon games, we stayed after to get autographs outside of the players entrance. I still have my scrapbook from 1980 which covers pretty much every day of the Pirates season that year.

The other thing is I love, love, love my hometown sports teams. All of them. But for some reason, the Pirates hold the top spot and it’s not something I can rationally articulate so I’m going to stop trying. I apologize for the length of this. I guess I get defensive when it comes to the Bucs. No worries, though.

3. mike
    May 7, 2008 12:52 pm

Pittgirl

So if (I know it’s a big IF) they ever do become good, are you going to jump on the bandwagon like you did with the Pens?

Just sayin’.

Mike in Baltimore.

PS. I follow and support the Bucs, Pens and Stillers no matter what their place in the standings is. Die-hard is the only way to be.

4. pittgirl
    May 7, 2008 12:58 pm

Mike,

Nice try. There was never any bandwagon jumping with the Pens. I’ve never spoken badly about them that I can remember.

Maybe you can remind me.

PittGirl

5. Julie_Gong
    May 7, 2008 1:00 pm

I have a Bobby Bonilla and Doug Drabek Starting Line up figure. I am the coolest!

6. Frank Curto
    May 7, 2008 1:02 pm

Easy to gripe about them (and with good reason)But I feel much better beiing a lifetime Pirates fan than I would being a bandwagon Red Sox fan or a winning seaon only jonny come lately Penguins fan (not directed at you PG)

7. Frank Curto
    May 7, 2008 1:15 pm

BTW Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl way to conjure up those great memories! Bus or trolley rides to 3 rivers to see the Pirates in the 70s are also priceless memories of my youth. As a kid you hardly noticed the wheels coming off this city when the lumber co. was in full swing

8. spoon
    May 7, 2008 1:20 pm

Julie, I have those plus Bonds and Van Slyke to round out the set :) In fact i have them in the home and away jerseys.

I also have a stack of autographed Doug Drabek, Mike Diaz and RJ Reynolds player cards from various Pirate Caravans in Erie. Anyone want some?

9. Frank Curto
    May 7, 2008 1:24 pm

RJ Reynolds was the orginal Mr Baseball

10. Rey Quiñones
    May 7, 2008 1:41 pm

Bob Nutting is a loser.

11. John
    May 7, 2008 1:42 pm

I wouldn’t consider myself a diehard fan, but I do go to a smattering of games a year (buy 8, get 2 free). The thing that kills me these days is that when someone yells at the Buccos (usually Captain Called Third Strike Jason Bay or Adam LaStiff in my case) for sucking, you get these strange looks. It’s “How dare you yell at the Buccos for sucking! It’s not their faults they suck so much! You’re taking all the fun of the pierogie races and the Pirate Parrot away! You bad person you!” God forbid I actually go to PNC Park to watch the game. Half of the fun is watching the train wreck that the Buccos are these days. Is there a point to this? Not really… just wanted to vent. :)

12. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    May 7, 2008 1:53 pm

Vent away, John. I have no problem with people getting down on the Bucs. I do it myself, but I still support them. While I enjoy the pierogies, if they were to disappear tomorrow (the pierogies, not the Bucs), it would not phase me at all. As long as people don’t get personal with me (like saying, “you’re part of the problem, don’t you realize the Nuttings would sell the team if no one came, don’t waste your money on those losers, you’re the reason I can’t have a winning team, blah, blah, bleck”), I have no issues with the criticizing. Here’s the reality of it and what I say back to those people — it’s a business, the Nuttings aren’t going to sell the team any time soon, it’s my money and I’ll spend it any way I want and oh, I guess I missed the memo where I became responsible for your personal happiness, so sorry.

Rock on with your bad self Pitt Girl. You rule!

13. John
    May 7, 2008 2:03 pm

Pat, I’m in total agreement with you. I get so annoyed when Mark “You’re all morons” Madden chastises people who go to Pirate games. Sorry, Mark, it’s my money, and I’ll do what I want to with it. Yeah, I’d love to go to a Pens game, but I can’t afford it nor could I get a ticket if I could. Same with the Steelers. It’s a business. The Nuttings are in it to make money. Do I think they could make more money if they put a better product on the field? Sure, but I’m not the one running the team. And if people want to go to the game for bobbleheads, fireworks and pierogie races, then that’s their prerogative. Just don’t look at me like I have a third eye in the middle of my forehead when I yell at Jason Bay for striking out looking with a runner on third and nobody out.

14. Joe Doprak
    May 7, 2008 2:32 pm

Yeah, I’m that one with the flag on.

Figured I’d throw out a thanks out to pittgirl for posting Mondesi’s House competition. And I got a special gift for all of you Burgh Blog readers…

Here is another photo that I forgot to post with my pic… and a little more info on the biggest Buccos fan in the world not on their site:

I’m a 23 year old Pitt business grad spawn from old Wall, PA that has lived the majority of my remember-able life in Bucs pain and agony. As a proud Souf Oakland resident, I have worked 2 1/2 years making delicious Primanti Bros. sandwiches and walked past the old Forbes Field wall / home plate in Posvar on a near daily basis. I’ve had recurring nightmares of Sid sliding since I was 8 and dedicate my run for biggest fan to Ronnie Florain, who is the greatest yinzer the world has ever seen.

If I am so honored to win with your votes, I vow to drink every pre-game Iron City beer wearing the Freddy Sanchez batting gloves… providing it doesn’t wipe off the autograph.

… oh yeah, and it’s “Dopirak” not “Doprak”

15. Sofa King
    May 7, 2008 2:33 pm

This past Sunday, a group of us went to the Pirates-Nationals game here in DC. Thank God they had a bar in the outfield where I could watch the Penguins game.

I know I’m delusional and expecting too much of the Nuttings, but I’ve had this dream of late that they have been scrimping and saving every penny that they could have spent on talent over the past 15 years and they are going to go hog-wild on a spending spree ala the Detroit Tigers.

16. Joe Doprak
    May 7, 2008 2:33 pm

oh yeah, and here’s the picture I promised…

17. Pittsburgh Tom (in NJ)
    May 7, 2008 2:37 pm

I can take the losing. I grew up in the Pittsburgh area in the 80’s, not the best time for the city’s sports. I know that at some point they’ll turn it around and living through the bad years will just make the good times even better. It does help to have the Steelers, Penguins, and both Pitt teams doing well.

I might actually be a bigger Pirates fan now than when I moved away. I’ve actually watched more Pirates games on tv now than I did five years ago. I used to go all the time when I lived in Pittsburgh, but never watched on tv. I can’t go to games now, except the one series a year they play in Philly, so I go to the bar I know that has the baseball package. The managers there know me well enough to know that if I walk in, they’ll probably be turning a Pittsburgh game on one of the tvs.

In some ways it easier to be a Pirate fan than a Steelers fan. Last season, I had Eagles fans kidding me about a Steelers loss, despite the Steelers already clinching a better record than the Eagles. No one bothers kidding me about a Pirates loss.

For now, I’ll continue to go to the bar, drink some beer, watch the Bucs, and smile everytime they show a scenic shot of the city. And when they come to Philly in August, I’ll be there. Already have tickets to one game. Front row, left field fence.

18. Go Bucs
    May 7, 2008 2:38 pm

Actually I have to agree with Mike here about the bandwagon-jumping. Your first post about the Penguins was in June of 2006 – I guess you didn’t care about them during their awful 2005 season?

19. pittgirl
    May 7, 2008 2:49 pm

Go Bucs,

My blog began at burghblog.blogspot.com back in July of 2005, you know BEFORE the hockey season, and I wrote in August of 2005 this post:

Peace.

Also, stick around tomorrow for a post on “Being a Bandwagon Jumper” and then we’ll talk.

20. spoon
    May 7, 2008 3:28 pm

True guys, her blog started WHILE there was a lockout.

If you want to look at it this way, since PG has started blogging the Pens are 116-97-33 (265pt), have reached the playoffs twice and won 1 Atlantic title… and they’re not done yet.

21. Mrs Pitsberger
    May 7, 2008 3:35 pm

Uh, we have a baseball team? Huh.

Also? GO PENS!!!

May 8, 2008 9:36 am

*raises hand*

Pirates fan here.

Disgusted.

Bored.

Disconsolate.

Hopeless.

Pirates fan.

23. BurgherinArkansas
    May 8, 2008 11:47 am

I voted for Grace! Anyone who has stuck by the buccos for over 70yrs deserves to win the contest!