PittGirl wins with 100% of the vote.

For too long, this organization has been about us and what we want to accomplish as an agency, and we have lost sight of what matters most — our customers,” Mr. Stapleton said.

A survey 2,000 of customers last year was “a real wake-up call,” he said in a release. “Less than half our customers told us they were satisfied with their shopping experience. They viewed a visit to the Wine & Spirits store as a chore and said they spent an average of only eight minutes in the store per visit, while other specialty retailers have average visits closer to half an hour.

“With retail customers’ expectations rightfully higher than ever, that’s simply not good enough.”

Memo to self:

Dear PittGirl,

Someday when you’ve completely conquered the blogging world and are regularly having coffee with Sir David Conrad and you decide to run for President of Pittsburgh or of Pennsylvania or of the World (Campaign slogan: “Mwah-hahahaha!”), to your already wonderful platform of a flat 15 percent income tax, do not, I repeat to you, self, do NOT forget to also add in that thing about destroying the PLCB with a missile because clearly, even with data staring them in the eyes and kicking them in the shins, they still do not realize the good that a nice dose of free-market competition would bring. Kill them hard, PittGirl.

A chicken in every pot and a frickin’ six-pack in every gas station.

KTHXBAI.

Rock on,

You.

1. day after next
    May 8, 2008 10:53 am

“(Campaign slogan: “Mwah-hahahaha!)”

PG – you are awesomeness.

2. pittgirl
    May 8, 2008 11:09 am

OR, THAT could be the slogan:

PittGirl: Awesomeness.

I like it.

May 8, 2008 11:25 am

PG — yes, rock on with your awesome bad self.

see, I have a dream….

I have a dream that — someday — I will live in a pennsylvania that will allow me to buy any goddamn bottle of wine or gin or six-pack of beer that I want — in a big bird. or, a whole foods. and, if I can’t find what I want there, I will be able to buy it online and have it shipped straight to my door instead of a state store.

I also have a dream that — someday — I will live in a pennsylvania that will allow me to eat my dinner in a restaurant or swig a brewski in a restaurant or bar that is free from that nasty ol’ smoke.

I have a dream, dammit.

and, I can dream, can’t I?

4. BIGGEORGE
    May 8, 2008 11:49 am

It is a good dream.

The reality is in florida. Where every
    grocery store has the same beer, and a
    wine aisle.

You still have to a speciality store for
    the good stuff.

BIGGEORGE

5. Magnus Patris
    May 8, 2008 12:22 pm

Back in the 80’s, my folks owned a bar and restaurant in Beaver County. Once I went into the local liquor store with my mom to by one bottle of whiskey they were giving away for Christmas. The guy behind the counter freaked out when my 17 year old self decided to carry the bottle for my mom and raised five kinds of hell about minors not allowed to carry the bottles out. Cut to six months later; my folks go away to Europe for a month and my older brother and I are in charge of the bar. He had his own business to run, so I was handling the bar and restaurant orders. I ordered $1300 of booze from the liquor store by phone, pulled up in a truck, handed them the cash (no I.D.), they loaded me up and I drove away. I always told my friends who had fake I.D.s to not just go and try to buy a six-pack, but to think big.

6. retiredguy
    May 8, 2008 12:25 pm

The PLCB, like school property taxes in Pennsylvania, will never die. They generate too much money, and politicians NEVER want to let the public have any of THEIR money back.

The PA legislature is too big, bloated and comfortable to ever accomplish any sort of reform.

7. joey
    May 8, 2008 1:03 pm

The PLCB sucks…the liquor laws in PA suck…whenever I get that feeling that PA is a great state, I just have to remember that I’m not allowed to buy a beer or a bottle of wine in a grocery store, and can’t buy a six pack unless I want to pay through the nose at a bar….

BIGGEORGE above…us Pennsylvanians would KILL to be able to walk down an isle at a grocery store and actually throw a six of bud into the cart, along with the burgers and buns.

Mehh..don’t get me started…

8. elysianfantasy
    May 8, 2008 1:06 pm

Retiredguy, I’d have to agree with you. Being a student in Pittsburgh, I hate having to go to the liquor store or the beer distributor when back home in Steubenville (the “burb of the Burgh”, if you will…yeah, and I’m not proud of it, either) I can go to Kroger’s or even Wal-Mart and get either one and know that I’m not paying an arm and a leg for them?

The LCB, if anything, is advocating MORE drinking by making us have to buy a ridiculously overpricecd case of beer, and like any self-respecting consumer, force us to drink the vast majority of it in a relatively short amount of time so that we feel as though we’ve gotten our money’s worth. (And by US, I mean me and my friends.) So when I have another helluva bender and puke my guts out, I believe I should sue the LCB for making me purchase the damn case in the first place when all I really wanted was to get a six pack that I didn’t have to go into a skanky bar for?!!!

We could be like the French Revolutionists and storm the Bastille that is the LCB and free ourselves from their tyranny! I’ll bring the pitchforks! And PittGirl, I elect you as Robespierre, except we won’t kill you years afterwards because you’re so awesome.

9. mis
    May 8, 2008 1:43 pm

When I go on vacation and go to the store (usually good old Piggly Wiggly) it is like: milk, bread, snacks for the kids, and ooooooooh – look what THIS aisle has for Mommy! Yessssssss!

I seriously feel like I left a communist state when I go on vacation.

I wish it would change but I don’t see it happening anytime soon.

10. Maria
    May 8, 2008 2:22 pm

I once lived in a magical place called Ohio, where I could buy a six pack at CVS and teenagers could get their learner’s permit when they were 15. It was a strange, foreign land.

11. John
    May 8, 2008 2:25 pm

The reactions I get from people who don’t live in PA when I tell them we can’t go to a grocery or convenience store to get beer usually goes something like this – “What kind of backwater state do you live in?” I just shrug and say, “That’s PA for ya.” Much like unsatisfied, I, too, have a dream of being able to buy a six pack of beer at GE or SnS or Sheetz. I’m lucky that I live near a six pack store, but that’s beside the point. The PLCB is evil!

12. spoon
    May 8, 2008 2:38 pm

Joey, go to 6pk shops. There are a few in each part of town where you can mix and match 6 packs and at prices hella cheaper than bars. Since I’m in the north I frequent 3 Sons Dogs and Suds. http://3sonsdogsandsuds.com/ btw, they have a free beer sampling every thursday :)

While I love the idea of supermarkets selling beer, unfortunately for craft beer fans this means BMC (Bud Coors Miller) will buy as much shelf space as possible to make the craft beer space next to nil.

Also don’t forget to thank Danny O for that 10% tax you’re paying on 6packs at bars.

If you want to hit a bar for a 6pk go to Mad Mex. They have some great deals plus fill growlers

cheers!

13. Frank Curto
    May 8, 2008 2:41 pm

Check out D’s in Reg Sq.

14. parking chair
    May 8, 2008 3:04 pm

This is the ONE thing I like about living in Ohio. Where do I go for a kickass wine selection?

Giant Freakin’ Eagle!

Now if only I liked wine!

15. Mitch Cumstein
    May 8, 2008 4:09 pm

It could be worse, we could live in West Virginy. Or Filthadelphia. We did annex Filthy to NJ, right?

16. scottie
    May 8, 2008 5:29 pm

the plcb can suck my left one. fuckers. how dare they tell me what i can and cannot drink and at what hours. if i want a margarita, i should be able to walk into target and pick up the mix and the cuervo. if i want a bottle of 2 (or 3, 4, …) buck chuck, i should have access to it.

17. Steeler_tom
    May 8, 2008 6:42 pm

PA needs to emerge from the dark ages.
    Hell they have come a long way though,
    I remember back in the 70’s and they had those stupid blue laws. How asnine were those?
    The PLCB stores need to go and they need to go like yesterday! There is waaaaay more money to be generated in the form of Taxes by disbanding those stupid state stores.

Start a grass roots effort and write your state senators & represenatives Let them know that you won’t be willing to vote for them again unless you can live free and drink with eays accessability.
    Otherwise,…. “quitchyercomplaining”

We all need to move forward now…..

May 8, 2008 10:37 pm

Joey, Two words: West Virginia. Door’s open. Beer every 50 feet, Jack Daniel’s in aisle 4 at Gint Iggle. And Bud? Barf. Drink less, drink better: Pennsylvania microbrews. By the bottle, growler, six, case, keg.

Howdy, Spoon! Figured I’d see you here.

Mitch, Bite me!

And to all, merry Korintus and a hoppy new beer!

19. Mitch Cumstein
    May 9, 2008 11:36 am

Go home, Hillbilly…

May 10, 2008 9:10 pm

Hah! If I went home, I’d have to go to Pittsburgh.

Well, Hill Station, to be more specific, but who the hell knows where that is?

21. Katie
    May 11, 2008 5:53 pm

I go to school in Ohio and have amazed quite a number of my friends when I say I can go to CVS, Krogers or Walmart to get alcohol. You can even get it in the Save-a-Lot store here in town, and it’s cheaper there than how cheap you get it at Walmart. Kroger’s usually has the best selection of stuff though….

Stupid PLCB ruining everything when I come home in the summer though :(