Yum!

Can we talk about Seviche on Penn Avenue?

I had dinner there last night and you know, normally when I go to a new restaurant, I like what I order, I eat it, and it’s fine. Fine. Rarely do I eat something, point a tiny fork at my dinner companion and say, “Holy shit. That is the best thing I have eaten ever in my life and I cannot walk out of here unless I have another tray of it.”

Yesterday, after the second tray of Asian Tartare, after the lamb chops, after the Strawberry Mimosa Mojito (oh, yes. Yum.), after the wine, after the pulled pork sandwich with cilantro and lime, after savoring every single teeny tiny itsy bitsy little bite, well, I wanted a Whopper to fill me up, but still.  Delicious!

Yes, the portions are small. Ten dollars for four bites of lamb. So if you like to eat a piece of meat the size of a gazelle, it might be just a snack for you, but as for me and my friend and all that food and liquor coming in at only $64 and change. Perfection.

Valet is only $5. The music is perfect. The atmosphere is very Miami-y and I’m not lying when I say that lots of gorgeous people go to Seviche. Seriously. I was like, “Are these people ACTORS or something with their slight faux-hawks, big glasses and trendy suits?” Very good people-watching to be had there.

If you’ve got a date and you don’t know where to take her/him. This is a fun place to try. Tell them that PittGirl sent you (they’ll say “who?” but you just be all, “WTF is wrong with you?  THE PittGirl!”) and that she said to turn the frickin’ fans down a little. It was like sitting under a hurricane.

Geez.  My hair was NOT thugalicious after that meal.

P.S.  The best ceviche in the world (yes, damn it.  It’s supposed to be spelled with a C) can be found at El Cejas in Mercado 28 in downtown Cancun, Mexico.  That’s church.

1. Christina
    May 8, 2008 11:04 am

I just went to their website, and their menu pretty much guarantees a visit. Especially that drink menu — pomegranate mojito (!?) yum! Thanks for the recommendation!

2. pittgirl
    May 8, 2008 11:11 am

Welcome!

3. Mark
    May 8, 2008 2:26 pm

It’s our go-to restaurant, and where we take a)all out of towners, b) all Yinzers who say that downtown isn’t a real downtown with, you know, cool restaurants and stuff and c) all our bridge/tunnel averse Sewickley friends who think going ‘downtown’ is the equivalent of mounting an assault on Everest (far away, dangerous, expensive)

4. Caroline
    May 8, 2008 6:24 pm

Mark: Amen. I made the mistake of being from the eastern parts of Pittsburgh and going to Sewickley Academy. *shakes head* Getting them to go anywhere beyond Wexford except for the Waterfront (where I don’t go, and I live in Forest Hills…)? Frickin’ impossible.

5. Caroline
    May 8, 2008 6:29 pm

Me again. Pittgirl, you should write a Guide to Pittsburgh book. Or at least a section to the site. One of my friends is coming next week, and since I left town for college (I know, despicable), I’m not so good with the actual adult things to do in town–though I know all about the zoo, the science center, the park with the best slide, etc. And I so want to know where else you’d tell me to take her!

May 8, 2008 10:25 pm

Pirates game on a night the Penguins play, for a quiet, intimate evening. In the all-you-can-eat section, of course.

Also: The Church. The Jesus tattoo parlor on E. Carson. The beer cave at D’s. The Maz wall. The Civic (not Mellon) Arena — world’s largest retractable dome! — while it’s still there (“Yes, this IS where Sheldon Kannegiesser played!”). My old dorm room on the 18th floor of Lawrence Hall at Point Park (now U.) with the view of the “Shields Rubber” mural. East End Brewing for growler hours Tues/Thur/Sat. Jerry’s Records. The T. Market Square on a sunny day at lunchtime.

Help me out here, people.

7. Bex
    May 9, 2008 9:41 am

Six Penn Kitchen. DIY Gallery Crawl, featuring Empty Space and the Wood Street Gallaries (and the RMU Gallery if its open). Catch a indie or buzzworthy movie at Pittsburgh Filmmakers. Starting next week there are free concerts in Market Square every Thursday afternoon as well.