Random n’at.

1. I was Facebook-chatting with one Mr. Jim Lokay about Jeff Reed and Max Talbot and their many similarities and yet their many differences when I noticed Jim’s current status is “Jim Lokay worships at the altar of Fleury.”

I let him know that I too worship at that altar, but that I cheat on it with the Altar of David Cook.

The boy killed last night.

2. Today I parked at the very top of the parking garage because I wanted to give myself a little bit of exercise via the stairwell. As I pulled into a parking space on the deserted, quiet floor, not a soul in sight, and as I clip-clopped my way across the floor with my footsteps echoing in my ears sounding like someone was following me, I had a thought, “PittGirl, next time, just park at the Arena if you want a little exercise because this right here is a brilliant way to get yourself killed.”

Word, self.

3. Did anyone else break out a nice MWAH-HAHAHA! when they showed that chick in the stands during the closing seconds of last night’s game and her eyeballs were shiny with unshed tears and her chin was quivering like she was going to start crying? That was funny as heck. Pens rule! I’m already thinking about what I’m going to wear to the parade.

4. [whisper] With their win yesterday, the Buccos of Suckitude are again one win away from .500 ball. You didn’t hear that from me. I was never here. [Jedi mind-erase hand wave] [/whisper]

5. The long-time headmaster at Kiski, Jack Pidgeon, died. David Conrad went to Kiski. It is fitting that I mention Jack Pidgeon then, because my future best friend might be mourning the loss.

“Disciplinarian is the wrong word. He expected people to want to find their own self- respect,” said actor David Conrad, a 1985 Kiski graduate who credits Mr. Pidgeon for making him an artist.

“He hated fakes, people who said one thing, but actually couldn’t do those things. In his school, you swam until you dropped, worked until you couldn’t anymore, had tons of homework. … Most people don’t get tested anymore. If you’re not tested at a young age, you can live the rest of your life not knowing your limits or never reaching them,” Mr. Conrad said.

Beautifully put. Read the entire obit because this guy sounds incredible.

6. Also re: Jack Pidgeon, here’s some advice the man once gave:

“You don’t have to have been born with talent or brains or special abilities or a capacity for leadership. You don’t even have to have been born tough. The happiest fact of life is that the one ingredient we need the most is ours for the taking. All you have to do to acquire it is this: beginning today, stop doing something you shouldn’t do and start doing each day something you know you should do.”

Well, that is definitely something to tack to your wall.

7. The ten most memorable games in the Penguins Playoff History. Make note, haters, that Jaromir Jagr is featured. Where are we on signing him for next year?

8. A reminder from the Canadian Press:

But it also should not be forgotten that the Pittsburgh Penguins, nearing a Stanley Cup final berth, may not even be here had it not been for how Ty Conklin stepped in for the injured Marc-Andre Fleury this season.

9. David Spade, Norm MacDonald, and Chris Kattan (you know what? I’m very meh on all three of them) will be filming a movie in the Burgh soon. If that’s your cup o’ tea, you might want to start calibrating your Stalk-O-Meter.

1. KGC
    May 14, 2008 9:11 am

#3. I saw her, too. Touching. Now, that being said, I’d definitely like to console her.

2. pittgirl
    May 14, 2008 9:12 am

Yeah, she was on the hot side.

3. Brother Anthony
    May 14, 2008 9:25 am

I noticed that girl and I considered rewinding. A little because she was attractive, and a lot because I enjoyed her misery.

Does Jack Pidgeon have red eyes?

4. DeutschtownFrau
    May 14, 2008 9:30 am

Spade and MacDonald — kinda Johnny One-Notes (Kattan — fewer notes than that)

BUT Spade’s Hollywood snark was priceless and Norm? He had one of the funniest moments ever in SNL history when he anchored Weekend Update: “Kenny G has just released a new album for Christmas — Happy Birthday, Jesus! Hope you like crap!”

I’m still laughing, and that was a decade ago. I’ll stalk them in spirit.

5. pittgirl
    May 14, 2008 9:32 am

“Hope you like crap!”

Okay, that made me laugh.

May 14, 2008 9:38 am

GAAAAAH that was torture reading that Penguins list and knowing what was coming at No. 1. Damn you, Eddie Westfall, damn you to hell. That goal, that loss sent the Penguins into a (first of two) bankruptcy spiral from which the franchise ever so barely escaped.

Damn you, Eddie Westfall … did I already say that? Good.

7. Christina
    May 14, 2008 9:45 am

3. I actually did the same thing when they kept showing the hot almost-crying Philadelphia girl. My boyfriend was all, “Oh, I feel kind of bad for them..it would probably suck to lose.” and I yelled, “How does it feel, bitch!?”

I didn’t realize I was so passionate about hockey. (And so mean.) (Wait, I did know that part, at least.)

8. Displaced Burgher
    May 14, 2008 10:24 am

The entire bar I was watching the game at (in Alexandria, VA) let out a collective, sarcastic “awwwww” when they showed that girl. Hilarious. Go Pens.

9. NoSide15212
    May 14, 2008 11:45 am

PittGirl, Fleury was indeed money, but let’s not forget how awesomely awesome the Pens’ defense was last night -Flyers only pulled the trigger 18 times -5 in the first, 3 (3? wtf? were they on the ice?) in the second, and 10 in the 3rd. To put that in perspective, the lowest team average in the NHL this year was just under 26 shots per game, league average is 29.

May 14, 2008 11:51 am

3) I didn’t see her — but, I don’t care if she looked like PG — she’s un-hot to me thanks to her flyerfandom. suck it!

4) (whispers) “they’re still shitty.”

11. lolo
    May 14, 2008 12:04 pm

Has anyone created a PensLOL yet that has a picture of all the orange-ness inside the Wachovia Center with the phrase “Orange-Out – ur doin it wrong”?

I can’t find a big enough image of the sad sad orangeness.

12. DW
    May 14, 2008 12:54 pm

Pic is of Irish Ty Conklin, not Fleury…but leave it as w/o him stepping up, we wouldn’t even be in this spot.

I saw the chick, thought she was hot, then laughed out loud at her misery.

Go Pens!

13. DW
    May 14, 2008 12:55 pm

Scratch that…dumb me didn’t see the Conklin part of post.

The girl was still hot and I still laughed at her pain, though.

14. KGC
    May 14, 2008 12:57 pm

unsatisfied.. I didn’t say I’d marry her, only that I’d console her in her grief. :)

15. Magnus Patris
    May 14, 2008 1:41 pm

The reason everyone in attendance last night was so depressed was not only because they lost, but they all had the same collective thought at the end of the game: “Shit! We still have to live in Philadelphia!” BTW, Magnus Matris looks at me sternly whenever I teach our 5 year old to call them the Filthadelphia Flyers.

May 14, 2008 2:14 pm

KGC — I feel ya! the “suck it” was not meant for you.

I know what I said above — but, anyone got a pic of this hot chick? I gotta see whassup.

17. McSmooth
    May 14, 2008 2:24 pm

Norm did a pretty good Burt Reynolds on celebrity Jeopardy.

“I’ll take Ape Tit for $200”

18. Pensgirl
    May 14, 2008 6:57 pm

My dear Pittgirl, I hope you are talking about a Memorial Day parade, because there are no other parades coming up or being planned or discussed or thought of or hypothesized about in any form. There are NO other parades, ‘kay?

19. Pingback: The Burgh Blog » Trainwreck Alert