Dude!

A conversation that occurred exactly as I’m about to write it, yesterday during the first period of the Pens game while we dined on wings, hamburgers, hot dogs, Greek salad, vodka tonics and carrot cake (swear it.) and immediately after this commercial popped on:

PittGirl: I don’t get that commercial at all.

Brother in Law: What do you mean you don’t get it? What the heck’s wrong with you?

PittGirl: What’s the point of it? What’s it got to do with selling beer? It’s dumb.

Brother in Law: Dude! Let me translate what each dude means. [rewinds] ‘Hey, wait!’ ‘Gross!’ ‘Uh-oh!’ ‘Hot chick!’ ‘Darn it!’–

PittGirl: — no, no. I get what each ‘dude’ means, I just mean, how is this selling me this beer?

Sister of PittGirl: How does ‘WASABIIIIIIIII!’ sell beer?

PittGirl: True dat, sis. It’s a guy thing, I think.

Mother of PittGirl: I don’t get it either.

Brother in Law: It’s an awesome commercial! Dude!?

PG: What?

BIL: For the rest of the summer, I am only going to speak to you using the word ‘dude’ so that you can come to appreciate it.

PG: Oy.

[Flyers score]

BIL: DUDE!

[his son stands right in front of the TV, blocking our view]

BIL: DUDE!

[the dog jumps on BIL]

BIL: DUDE! [to Father of PittGirl] Dad, I took the dog to the vet yesterday, and as I was holding him down and they were giving him the shot, the needle was coming RIGHT FOR MY HAND, and PittGirl?

PG: [Looks up from carrot cake] What?

BIL: I was all, “DUDE!?”

Sister of PittGirl: Oh, God.

1. Stephanique1
    May 16, 2008 10:26 am

I crack up every time I watch that commerical. True dat, has nothing to do with beer but damn that shit’s funny.

May 16, 2008 10:48 am

DUUUUUUUUUUUDE.

3. Mike
    May 16, 2008 10:53 am

That commerical has everything to do with selling beer. It shows two guys out on a night in Vegas, drinking beer and doing the dumb and immature things that guys do when they are out without ladies. I especially like the “Dude” when he takes the french fry. I just wish it wasn’t Bud Light, because I hate Bud Light. If Coors Light would take their heads out of their asses and stop making corny ways to keep beer colder (its not the most classiest of beers so it isn’t a beer that you drink to enjoy with dinner, its only for drinking at the beach and for tailgating) and vented (who really pours Coors Light in to a glass to drink?) and they had come up with this awesome idea for a commerical they would sell more beer.

DUUUDE!

4. Mike
    May 16, 2008 10:55 am

BTW.. I still love you Coors Light…

5. Julie_Gong
    May 16, 2008 11:16 am

It’s no Miller Lite… just saying.

6. BagitTagit
    May 16, 2008 11:22 am

Coors Light???

Dude…

7. day after next
    May 16, 2008 11:24 am

I vastly prefer Bud Light to Miller Lite and Coors Light – in fact I think they taste pretty awful. Coors just makes me feel gross. I know a lotta people feel otherwise, but that’s just my personal preference.

8. eileen
    May 16, 2008 11:24 am

Don’t get the Dude thing.
    The boy on the commercial reminds me of a friend of my son’s.He has an English degree from Brown. The only thing that comes out of his mouth is “Dude”. I’m sure his parents are thrilled that they spent $100,000 to send their son to an Ivy League University and he comes home with a one word vocabulary.
    For years,my husband always called to him “Dude”. I don’t think he remembered his real name.
    Funny commercial though.

9. spoon
    May 16, 2008 11:26 am

Bud, Coors and Miller has to use humor in their ads because that’s the only way they can sell that shit they brew. The reason why Coors has to be so damn cold is because they need to make it drinkable and hide the raw flavor. That whole vented thing is a bunch of bull too.

Bud really chapped my ass this past year with that jagmonkey who said dark beer hides the impurities which is why you can see through Bud. They’re trying to feed off of the uninformed beer drinker who will go “hell yeah man! HELL YEAH!”. I had a bottle of Arcadia’s Shipwrecked Porter last night that will made you see shit. It takes you to your happy place.

10. NoSide15212
    May 16, 2008 11:28 am

YouTube video: The Big Lebowski The Dude’s Version. Just saying.

11. blech
    May 16, 2008 11:58 am

Can your family adopt me?

12. joey
    May 16, 2008 11:58 am

This is one of the best commericials. It must be a guy thing.

13. joey
    May 16, 2008 12:02 pm

P.S.: I just watched them all again and laughed the whole time…..

14. Gunn Lino
    May 16, 2008 12:29 pm

Lite beer is training beer for the uninformed amateurs.

15. Susan
    May 16, 2008 12:51 pm

These dude spots are slightly better than most other Bud Light commercials, which all have the same premise: that Bud Light is a rare, unavailable commodity that you can’t just go buy in a store, and people will therefore do anything to get it.

16. windy city steel city
    May 16, 2008 12:55 pm

Dude.[exasperation]
    Dude. [shock]
    Dude? [curiousity]
    Dude. [request]
    Dude. [goodbye]

17. cultlord
    May 16, 2008 1:48 pm

Good beer sells itself it doesn’t need to advertise. Bud / Miller / Coors / Corona – all crap.

18. Lawrence
    May 16, 2008 2:13 pm

16.windy city steel city said …

Dude.[exasperation]
    Dude. [shock]
    Dude? [curiousity]
    Dude. [request]
    Dude. [goodbye]

You forgot ….

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!!!!! [frustration]

19. JamieO
    May 16, 2008 3:39 pm

Yeah, but the Verizon “Hockey fans aren’t like other fans” commercials are church.

“What? You said fantasy”

Hee!

And of course:

“YOU OWN THIS NURSERY! LOSER! LOSER! LOSER!”

20. chrys
    May 16, 2008 5:57 pm

LOL!!! I don’t get this commercial either, but my hubby and BIL laughed like it was the funniest thing they had ever seen. Whatever.. men are like monkeys… easily entertained.

21. Mandy
    May 16, 2008 6:58 pm

“Dude” is so incredibly versatile. I love it. My mom hates it when I call her “dude.” She just doesn’t understand that I’m not really calling her dude; I’m simply expressing my frustration/shock/curiosity/etc. efficiently. I’ve always been a fan of the word “dude.” Also, “kayak” because of the way your jaw goes up and down when you say it.

22. pittgirl
    May 16, 2008 10:18 pm

blech,

My sister and brother in law are currently looking to adopt up to three children under the age of five. If you fit that description, I could maybe put in a good word for you.

;)

May 18, 2008 3:31 pm

Who do they think they are, Pitt/Jolie? Tell ’em have their own damn babies. People who work at orphanages need their jobs just like the rest of us.

24. Katie
    May 18, 2008 5:34 pm

Hah JamieO….best commercials ever!

Oh, and DUDE! Stanley Cup! :-D