The newest Burgh pigeon-killers.

With flapping wings, loud squawking and engaged talons, Tasha 2 did noble battle atop the Gulf Tower yesterday to protect her two peregrine falcon chicks — and even drew blood from a National Aviary official’s finger.

But state Game Commission officials captured the bold bird’s two chicks so aviary officials could perform full medical examinations. The commission then banded the chicks.

After the loud ordeal, the chicks were returned to their nest on the 37th floor of the Gulf Tower outside the Make-A-Wish Foundation offices, and Tasha 2 was released to resume her maternal duty.

Throughout the episode, Louie, the papa peregrine, dive-bombed at officials and put on dramatic aerial displays.

The two chicks now wear fancy bird bracelets — colorful leg bands bearing large letters and numbers to identify them.

And Dr. Pilar Fish, the aviary’s director of veterinary medicine, declared the chicks robust and healthy.

Ah, two more warriors, robust warriors at that, added to the noble fight against pigeons.

Also, Sonni Abatta was there.

Holy crap, that girl looks hot when she’s in Serious Journalist Mode. Of course, I have a hunch that Sonni also looks just as hot when she’s in Sweats and a Ball Cap Mode.

Know when PittGirl looks her hottest? When she’s in Pigeons Must Die Mode.

BAM!

(h/t Jamie O and Bill H)

May 20, 2008 9:20 am

“Know when PittGirl looks her hottest? When she’s in Pigeons Must Die Mode.”

especially when you’re wearing those “do-me boots”…..

May 20, 2008 9:20 am

btw — sonni — hot damn!

May 20, 2008 9:31 am

Yeah, I wanna see those do-me boots. I loves me some do-me boots. Picture, please?

Also, you know you have nearly twice as many Damn Pigeons posts as Troy Polamalu posts, and (speaking as a guy) nearly twice as many Troy Polamalu posts as Sonni posts? Don’t you think you should even things up a bit?

4. Brian
    May 20, 2008 9:42 am

I’m sorry, but if Sonni worked in NYC, she’d be like the 25th hottest lady on TV. No offense to her or anything, really. But it’s like people in this town haven’t seen a woman in 15 years, Sonni shows up and we all go nuts. I don’t know. I mean, sure she’s nice looking, but can we reel in the hose a bit?

Also, have you noticed since Alison Morris ended up on that hottest TV reporters deal and Sonni didn’t that Alison is pretty much outside in the rain with an umbrella every day? Poor her.

5. Sean
    May 20, 2008 10:09 am

NYC probably has 25 times the number of people reporting the news on TV. With that many people there are bound to some attractive ones. And how many of them are actually from New York? Besides, I don’t see anyone going nuts over here Brian. Let people have a little fun will ya.

6. Brian
    May 20, 2008 10:11 am

No, I mean going nuts in Pittsburgh, not necessarily here (well, there’s plenty of Sonni worship here too, come on now!). I just think it’s silly how people fall over her. But hey, didn’t intend to strip any of the fun away. Have at it!

7. Uncle Crappy
    May 20, 2008 11:03 am

In covering the peregrine nest on the East Rochester-Monaca bridge in Beaver County, I’ve had a chance to talk with a lot of the birdwatchers who spend a lot of time, uh, watching the birds in the area. And they all say that Monaca, Beaver, Rochester, Freedom, Conway — all are blissfully pigeon-free for the last couple of years, thanks to the falcons. PG, maybe you should consider relocating?

8. Sean
    May 20, 2008 11:13 am

I once saw one of the peregrines that live in Oakland fly down to the sidewalk, stomp on a pigeon a few times, pick it up and fly away. It may have dropped it after a few seconds, but I like to think it enjoyed a hearty meal. I’m not in Oakland quite so much anymore, but I don’t remember seeing quite as many pigeons around as there used to be. Am I correct in this observation?

9. Violet
    May 20, 2008 11:29 am

Sean – I witnessed a falcon grab a pigeon out of mid-air right outside of the Cathedral of Learning this past fall. I don’t know if there are less pigeons in Oakland because of that, but those falcons aren’t effin’ around. Incredible.

10. Chelly
    May 20, 2008 2:06 pm

Brian is right…the Sonni obsession is a bit over the top. She is pretty – but not exceptionally. Ashley DiParlo needs some love over at WTAE! She’s way hotter!

11. CS Keys
    May 20, 2008 2:37 pm

Brian can go to hell.

12. Brian
    May 20, 2008 2:43 pm

If I could actually get the real C.S. Keys to tell me to go to hell, I’d build a car out of cake and try to drive it to work. I don’t what those two things have to do with each other, but they’re both ventures I’d like to see come to fruition.

13. CS Keys
    May 20, 2008 6:45 pm

What about Dee Thompson instead, fella?

14. Brian
    May 21, 2008 7:35 am

Oh man, Dee Thompson would work too. Ha!

15. JamieO
    May 21, 2008 9:13 am

I figured PittGirl would enjoy this. Glad to see it posted.