Oh, Lukey.

Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl wants to attend the Stanley Cup Finals, but isn’t yet sure how that can happen.

“I’d like to go,” he said of the Saturday night face-off between the Penguins and the Red Wings, in Detroit. “I have asked [the city Law Department] for guidance” on whether he should pay for tickets, travel and lodging out of personal funds, campaign money or otherwise.

Dear Lukey,

If you would just hire PittGirl to be your Chief of That’s Church you would never have the entire city pointing at you and laughing at your inability to know the correct answer to this question.

No, instead, you would have walked into my plush corner office (corner table at Dunkin Donuts) and asked ME that question and I would have said, “Lukey, do what every person on the face of the earth knows to do. USE YOUR OWN DAMN MONEY!!!”

And as he was walking away from me, disappointed in my answer, I’d be calling after him, “That’s church, baby!  Don’t be a hater!”

(h/t Liz)

1. merman
    May 21, 2008 2:08 pm

Someone explain to me how he plans to “represent” the city at a hockey game.

Getting drunk and fighting Detroit’s finest?

I’m amazed that he expects free tickets and it crying that he can’t get them.

Just some advice to Yarone: Keep him away from Windsor.

2. Magnus Patris
    May 21, 2008 2:09 pm

Geez! Does he have to “ask [the city Law Department] for guidance” if he needs to pee?!? How embarrassing. Can I be mayor? I promise to act like a responsible adult.

3. Bulldog
    May 21, 2008 2:18 pm

Sorry, but the presence of ANY elected government official at ANY sporting event is neither required nor desired as part of their official duties. I don’t care if its the Stanley Cup finals, Super Bowl, World Series, etc.

The PITTSBURGH Penguins will be representin’ the Burgh, along with all the Black-n-Gold clad fans in the stands who have laid out tons of cash for their ducats.

We don’t need the Mayor, County Exec, Gov, or ANY other politician to go to any game to represent us. If they want to “represent” they can stay home and focus on their OFFICIAL duties. If they want to go to the game as a fan, they can pay out of their pocket like all the other fans.

4. nellie
    May 21, 2008 2:36 pm

So that also means our local state senators, councilpeople, lottery officials, turnpike officials, (yes, one I know is attending, free). etc……should also know better. Too bad they don’t.
    I attended the Superbowl a few years back. One of our city councilmen was sitting with a state senator in the row ahead of me. I’m willing to bet my house, we paid for it. Also a local neighborhood activist I knew was in the same row.
    What a coincidence!
    Typical Pittsburgh Politics.

5. John
    May 21, 2008 2:37 pm

PG… you make way too much sense for ol’ Lukey. Perhaps if you’d sprinkled a few “moving forwards” into your conversation with him, he might have gotten your meaning.

6. coach99
    May 21, 2008 2:38 pm

Actually, I find it hard to believe that if the mayor wanted to attend that all he has is have one of him minons call the Pens and tell them that hizzoner wants to be there. I am sure that Mario or whomever will find a seat for him. I see nothing wrong with the mayor of the city being in the building. Hey, I am sure everyone that reads your blog would take a free ducat and love to sit with Mario. The Mayor should be there. Heck, gotta get him up to the Hill some how.

7. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    May 21, 2008 2:38 pm

What do you expect when he’s had everything given to him his entire life. I think he is the youngest of a bunch a siblings (mostly girls), so he was likely a spoiled baby. I’m not sure the concept of spending your own money even comes to mind for him.

On another note, PittGirl, I’m seeking permission to utilize the rules of the “And Drink” game for the mayor’s office here in Portland, OR. The Mayor-elect for Portland must have used the special phrase and/or some combination of it about 100 times during his victory speech last night. I was conflicted as to whether or not it was ok to drink because it wasn’t Lukey. I drank anyway, but I felt a little guilty about it.

Let’s Go Pens!!!!

8. north sider
    May 21, 2008 2:47 pm

Actually, he’s the oldest of 3 boys.

9. KGC
    May 21, 2008 2:49 pm

Here’s what lil Lukey actually said:

“I’d like to go,” he said of the Saturday night face-off between the Penguins and the Red Wings, in Detroit, “but, no one’s offrered to pay my way and give me a ticket in suite with free booze and a room at the [Hilton/Marriott]. Oh, and Erin wants to go too.”

10. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    May 21, 2008 2:50 pm

I know he has sisters because I went to high school with two of them and I graduated in the mid-80s.

11. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    May 21, 2008 2:54 pm

My bad… just doublechecked with my sister. I went to school with the cousins.

12. KGC
    May 21, 2008 2:57 pm

Hey, Lukey!! Go to stubhub.com.

Game 1, Detroit. $230 – $1,507
    Game 2, Detroit. $237 – $6,000
    Game 3, Pittsburgh. $334 – $5,000
    Game 4, Pittsburgh. $379 – $4,500

Use your CC and PAY FOR A TICKET YOURSELF! You tool.

May 21, 2008 2:58 pm

hines ward was whorin’ for tix on the local news last night, too.

and, I’m betting he’s not paying for them, either….

14. north sider
    May 21, 2008 3:00 pm

I can assure you he has no sisters. His family lived and (still does live) right up the street from where I grew up. They were friends of the family, we all went to school together. Unless they were hiding those sisters in the attic, he doesn’t have any. Perhaps you went to school with cousins of his. Also, his parents are a little too young to have had daughters in high school in the mid-80s.

May 21, 2008 3:11 pm

or, maybe lukey can join us down at the arena instead — from the post gazette:

The Penguins are exploring the possibility of opening Mellon Arena so fans can go there to watch the Stanley Cup final games played in Detroit.

A team official confirmed the idea is under consideration, but said no decision has been made. There could be one before the end of the business day, however.

Game 1 of the series between the Penguins and Detroit Red Wings is set for Saturday night at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit.

16. John
    May 21, 2008 3:32 pm

I’m with coach99 – Lukey’s the frickin’ mayor. Shouldn’t it have occured to him to give the Pens a call and see what they could do for him? God, what a frickin’ doofus we have as mayor.

17. Different Brian
    May 21, 2008 3:32 pm

Isn’t that what the homeland security vehicles are for? For the, uhh, security… of the Penguins honor… in the, uhh, homeland, of… uh… Detroit.

18. Lyon Advocate
    May 21, 2008 3:43 pm

Not sure what Hines Ward has to do with this. The issue is a government employee – a (relatively) highly paid one at that – not having the sense to know that he can either: (a) buy a ticket and travel on his own dime like anyone else, or (b) create (at a minimum) the appearance of impropriety.

19. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    May 21, 2008 3:52 pm

North Sider — I corrected myself (and I’ll do it once again). My sister reminded me that we went to high school with the cousins.

20. Dan Freakin (Not Onarato)
    May 21, 2008 3:52 pm

I think if I were mayor….I would go to the igloo and make face there…serve some pizza (that Id buy) like the Pens would do for student rush….get some people on my side….lead a couple of chants

But hey…thats just me…whaddaheckdoiknow

21. toni
    May 21, 2008 4:02 pm

Note to Lukey:

Put your hand in YOUR back pocket. Take out that leather square thing called a wallet. Buy a ticket.

God knows since I’m paying your salary I’m technically paying for the Penguins tix…do you really feel the need to “double dip?” And sounding indecisive certainly has increased my faith in your mental processes……..

22. Fan on his own dime (and time)
    May 21, 2008 4:21 pm

Bulldog—what you said! And make them use sick days to attend (like the rest of us)!!!

I can feel a revolt coming like never before…ALL elected officials had better start growing eyes in the back of their heads-I think the paying members of our great society are getting a gut full.

23. KGC
    May 21, 2008 5:02 pm

22. Fan… Ain’t that church. Gotta love the blogosphere. Without it, who knows what politicians would get away with.. with impunity.

24. Fan on his own dime (and time)
    May 21, 2008 7:28 pm

…and sorry unsatisfied, but Hines was the man BEFORE GR came to town. Mr. Roberts, you may be older, but that just means that mold poured you out first–well, Jack Lambert first, GR second, and Hines last-THEN they broke it.

Hines, pick your seat and send me the bill. You paid your dues.

May 21, 2008 7:44 pm

ummkay — since I see that I somewhat need to defend myself:

hines ward = kickass receiver and all-time steelers great — no shitski.

my point: why, then, does he need to go on tv, lookin’ for tix — when all he needs to do is pick up the phone and call the pens and ask them to hookabrothaup, as was suggested by someone here for lukey?

besides, I’d think he’d be able to pay for it anyway — from all that money he took from his bar n’all….

26. PittCheMBA
    May 21, 2008 8:02 pm

I can not believe Dan O the Drink Tax Czar said “We might go and represent the region at some of these games.” Dudes, you do not need to represent the region, there will be plenty of PAYING Penguins fans there. Lukey is looking for a loophole so he does not have to pay out of his own pocket. Maybe he should borrow the Homeland Security SUV for the trip?

27. Ralph Kramden
    May 22, 2008 4:34 am

Anyone else notice this line from the news story?
    ————
    “The mayor said he has asked the Penguins and the National Hockey League about getting tickets, but he’s willing to spend his own money or campaign funds on them if required.”
    ——————-

Or “CAMPAIGN FUNDS IF REQUIRED?!?”

DINGDINGDING!!!

Dagnabbit, Lukey’s gone and set off the Crap-Detector again…

28. NoSide15212
    May 22, 2008 6:56 am

Campaign funds??? WTF? Is he running for Mayor of Detroit, also? That’s total bullshit. People contribute money to your campaign for Mayor of Pittsburgh and it’s subsequently blown on hockey tickets in … Detroit? I’m so sick and tired of these bum politicians using their office for personal gain. The whole campaign code needs to be rewritten in this city and this state. Bloated, purple, political fat cat hacks, gorging themselves on perks and taxpayer money.

And FYI, Luke and Dan: we already have someone going up to Detroit to represent the region –they’re called the Penguins. Here’s what tipped me off –apparently, on NHL.com, the team called the Penguins has the word “Pittsburgh” in front of it in the conference lineups. Check ’em out; they even have a website.

29. retiredguy
    May 22, 2008 7:56 am

He should just get the billionaire co-owner of the Pens to fly him to Detroit on his private jet, feed him at primo restaurants, put him up in private mansions, then lie about it.

Or he could just pile some friends into a city owned SUV and have his police body guards drive him to Detroit. Then lie about it.

Getting into the arena for home games would be easy as walking uninvited onto the course at Oakmont. Just put the bodyguards out front to push the riffraff out of the way. Then lie about it.

30. Dan Freakin (Not Onarato)
    May 22, 2008 7:58 am

At least I didnt vote for either of them…

31. PittinDC
    May 22, 2008 9:10 am

Politicians do not pay for tickets. I used to work in government relations – companies lobbying them give them tickets. You’d be hard pressed to find a politician that, if big enough, has ever paid for a ticket to go to a game. So its not like Lukey isn’t doing what everyone else does.. he just wasn’t smart enough to keep it on the DL.

32. Eric W
    May 22, 2008 9:23 am

PittGirl, thank you for posting reason #1,935,742 that sports teams should not be subsidized by governments.

33. Brian
    May 22, 2008 9:27 am

This is what happens when a child is elected to do a grown-up’s job. Had I contributed to Luke’s campaign, I’d be crafting a letter that sounds something like this:

Dear Luke,

Give me my fucking campaign contribution back. I’d like to go to the hockey game, too.

Best,
    Brian

PS — Grow up.

34. Doug
    May 23, 2008 8:30 am

I am more than willing to stand at a busy intersection or Parkway exit shaking a coffee can and begging for money so we can send Lukey to the playoff games. He just has to agree to quit, resign or somehow extricate (look it up, Lukey, at dictionary.com) from office. I’ve also e-mailed this offer to the Candy Store, I mean mayor’s office at mayorcompl@city.pittsburgh.pa.us