Random n’at.

1. Whatever hold Blake Shelton had on me as my current obsession was completely shattered yesterday when Bryan Adams stormed through the doors, rocker-kicked Blake in the chin, pulled me up off the floor where Blake had me pinned down with his cowboy boot, put his arm around my waist and dragged me out of the saloon while muttering, “She’s mine. Always.”

Bryan Adams on American Idol.

I’m all his again.

Seeing him run out on the stage, his silly smile every time he sings, his scratchy voice, his passion, his EVERYTHING.

Now, off to scout out tickets for his show this summer and to pick out which bra I’m going to throw at his feet. I wonder, will I get arrested if I charge the stage and try to get close enough to lick him?

2. The Lukey/Penguins/Banner fiasco just got WAY more interesting with the Pens saying that they scrapped the whole idea themselves when they couldn’t get the banners printed up in time. So why they heck did Lukey say it was held up by City Council?

Also, Bill Peduto said about Lukey wanting to attend the game and not sure how he should pay for it:

“There’s an easier way,” said Mr. Peduto, a Penguins season ticket holder. “Write a check.”

BAM!

3. Let’s talk Pens. ESPN did a kickass article on Ryan Malone that actually doesn’t upset me when it refers to Pittsburgh as “blue-collar”.

At first glance, the 28-year-old is raw and tough with a tattoo-festooned body and fiery red hair. But that’s not all there is to Malone, much like this blue-collar city with its hard ways and surprisingly beautiful waterfront and hidden architectural gems.

“It is weird,” Malone said in a recent interview from the Mellon Arena seats. “Honestly, whenever I pull the sweater on, I look at it as a privilege and an honor.”

Married to his college sweetheart, whom he met while she was tending bar at St. Cloud State (“I was like, ‘I’m going to marry that girl.’ And I did,” Malone said with a laugh), the couple had their first child, William Ryan Malone, three months ago. Young Will has been a constant reminder that the game is not life.

Also, be sure to read the inset about his tattoos. Very interesting.

4. The PG has some great cheer cards to print out. I particularly like the Evolution one.

5. City Council is doing a great thing:

City Council yesterday approved new fines, ranging from $100 to $500 or even more, that would be slapped on convicted vandals and used to fund graffiti removal.

The legislation, sponsored by Councilman Bruce Kraus, also demands that retailers keep paint and other potential tools of graffiti either in clear sight of employees or behind the counter, in an effort to prevent theft by would-be vandals.

Every little bit helps.

Also, check out this video and tell me, did you also want to find those little “Full Time Crime” shits shown in the video and spray the words “I wet the bed” on their backs? And while you’re there, tell me, when did Sheldon Ingram have his shoulders removed?

And check out the 22 pages of discussion on graffiti, including the poster that wrote:

You’ve got to understand that he’s not attacking anyone personally, if anything it’s more of a comment on materialistic society. la sociedad de dinero. Anyone who gets angry at things like this are usually money-minded, greedy, or just simply confused.

My brain is going to explode. Srsly.

6. Reader Magnus Patris had quite possibly the best comment of the week with this little gem in my “Why PittGirl Should be Mayor” post (also, as reader Disappointed mentioned, I couldn’t run for Mayor because as a suburbanite I’m not technically a resident of Pittsburgh. Fret not. When I run for Mayor, I’ll pull a Hillary and move to the city and be all, “What? I’ve lived here like my whole life practically!”):

That’s it. I’m not registering as a Democrat or a Republican. I’m going to register today as a Choke-A-Bitch-ocrat. Our symbol is not a donkey or an elephant, but a dead pigeon on a star-spangled background.

Awesome. Someone needs to mock that up. And by “someone” I mean “yinz guys”.

1. toni
    May 22, 2008 10:15 am

“So why they heck did Lukey say it was held up by City Council?”

Because Lukey is an immature asshat who wanted to take the opportunity to take a dig at council. He’s still smarting that his PR chick and her hubby are gone and he resents the brouhaha over the huge ass sign hit the press and sullied his rep again.

Can I have an adult as Mayor next time?

May 22, 2008 10:31 am

#2. this “stanley cup signs”/lukey’s ticket problems fiasco is turning into the stupidest thing. ever.

#5. I’m tellin’ ya — the best thing to do with these graffiti idiots is what the scientist came up with in “the naked gun”: a brick wall that shoots spray paint back at the graffiti-ers. that would totally work — I’m tellin’ ya.

that being said — I’m not sure that this daniel montano character should get 25 years in prison for this. jail time, yes. that long, no.

3. John
    May 22, 2008 10:56 am

It pains me to think that there are people out there who are sticking up for this Montano dude and others like him. “A comment on materialistic society…” What a load of crap. Yes, we’re all nothing but rich white folks who drive around in Caddys with a cigar in our mouths and bags of money in our backseats. Sorry. No sympathy for this kid or any other tagger. You did the crime, now do the time.

4. Chris
    May 22, 2008 11:06 am

PG – you can totally say you live on my Squirrel Hill 3rd floor, since like forever.

5. steve
    May 22, 2008 11:33 am

So council had nothing to do with the signs not going up because it was impossible to print the huge banners fast enough. Instead of leaving it at that the Mayor decides to make it look like council was at fault.

Because of Luke we are talking about stoopid banners instead of how awesome the Penguins are. Thanks Luke Ravenstahl for politicizing a great moment of civic pride.

Do me a favor, don’t go to any games. I don’t want to see your eighthead and have it ruin my night.

6. Erin
    May 22, 2008 12:13 pm

#1. Well hello, Mr. Adams. Someone has aged well. Me likey.

7. Pittsburgh Tom (in NJ)
    May 22, 2008 12:15 pm

A friend of mine has a theory that the Pens are just saying that they scrapped the plans due to technical problems to help the mayor/city council get out of PR quagmire the whole thing was becoming.

8. Pittsburgh Tom (in NJ)
    May 22, 2008 12:30 pm

#1. Does anyone watch How I Met Your Mother? This week Robin, the character from Canada, referred to Bruce Springsteen as being “like the American Bryan Adams”.

#2. Mayor Luke needs to learn that he shouldn’t say something just because he thinks it. For example, he shouldn’t publicly question whether he can use the free tickets he can get for being mayor. He also shouldn’t even mention he gets home game tickets for free. Yes he’s representing the city, but whining/bragging about free tickets annoys us who can’t afford the tickets we’d have to pay for if we could get them.

#3. Am I the only one noticed that Ryan’s brother name is Mark? Mark Malone? Ryan was born in 1979 and Mark is his younger brother. Please tell me that it’s a coincidence and Greg didn’t name his son after the Steelers QB who was on the team from ’80-87.

#4 The Detroit newspaper is challenging it’s readers to come up with cheer cards after providing a link to the PG’s cheer cards.

9. Chipped Ham
    May 22, 2008 12:34 pm

Pittsburgh Tom is right… because unlike Boy Mayor and his PR staff, the Pens franchise actually operates with class and reserve and wants to focus on and celebrate the achievements of the Pens… not Ravenstahl’s personal jabs at City Council that have nothing to do with good government. What a jag. Go Pens!

10. retiredguy
    May 22, 2008 12:42 pm

My ideas for punishing “street artists” are:

1. They must pay for clean-up.

2. Jail time appropriate for the monitary damage done.

3. Their parents houses get completly “street artified” since they are the nitwits who raised the vandals in the first place.

11. PittinDC
    May 22, 2008 12:55 pm

Yes! That line from How I Met Your Mother was great! It made American Idol that much more exciting.

Also, on the Pens, ESPN.com has a front page article asking whether Crosby can save the NHL like Bird and Magic saved the NBA. Go Pens!

12. windy city steel city
    May 22, 2008 2:55 pm

#5> Spray paint was banned in Chicago several years ago as a knee jerk reaction to the “youth collective, street art community” tagging their “target market area”. As a result sales skyrocketed for the stuff in the near suburban communities as well forced them to get creative with a brush, roller and bucket of paint instead. On top of it all, normal folks could spray paint their lawn furniture anymore a la Johnny Bench in the Krylon commericials. A city department called Graffiti Busters was created to come out to the tagged location and pressure wash the undesired street art. Might be a good idea here.

May 22, 2008 4:10 pm

sooooo — breaking news:

1) lukey’s paying his own way.

2) did I hear that a sign’s going up downtown?

3) pens fans can watch the away games at the arena.

thank.

God.

now — can we get it on with game 1 already?

14. xena
    May 22, 2008 7:20 pm

If Lukey is writing a check, can a “moving forward” be far behind?

15. KGC
    May 22, 2008 8:24 pm

unsatisfied..

Let’s see. The PG article said the tickets cost $350 each. Is that 1 ticket for 2 games? 2 tickets for 1 game? 2 tickets for 2 games? (Can’t imagine Lukey going to Detroit by himself. He’s not of age, is he?)

If 2 games, then who’s paying for hotel, meals, and his BEER? Did he take a vacation day for Monday & Tuesday (‘cuz Games 1 & 2 are Saturday & Monday nights, no way gets back to Pittsburgh by 8am Tuesday)? Who is going with him? Where are his seats (the $350 on stubhub.com are not that great)?

I smell a whole lotta stink to this. Of course, the “journalists” at the PG won’t ask the tough questions.

16. Aunt Penny
    May 22, 2008 10:05 pm

Maybe on Saturday all the hockey fans going to the Mellon should leave early and take a sheet. They could decorate the town before the game.

Cover Pittsburgh in sheets. Another form of white-out. And Mr. Shields told us to do it.