PittGirl’s Call

DEAR CAT: Recently my wife and I were going to buy a house. Six days before closing (and the last day to opt out of the deal if we did not like the Home Owners Association) my wife decides she does not like the H.O.A. because she wouldn’t be allowed to put up an outdoor clothesline. I offered to build a clothesline in the garage, but that was unacceptable to her. Unable to convince her of the absurdity of her reasoning, I gave in. It took four days to arrange the cancellation. When her signature was the last thing required to cancel the deal, she said, “Well, now that you have listened to me, and I appreciate that, I will now buy the house.” I ask you, is that not classic manipulation or what? — I DON’T UNDERSTAND

DEAR DON’T: If a clothesline is a dealbreaker, there’s a lot more going on under the surface. Assuming your story is accurate, your wife obviously felt ignored (or otherwise dismissed) by you, and the only way to get your attention was to nearly lose the whole deal. It’s impossible to say whether the manipulation was intentional or spur of the moment, but it certainly was classic. On a different note, I have to know …

Cat’s Call: Did you get the house or not??

Ok.  Did anyone else get to the part that said, “Assuming your story is accurate…” and think that Cat should have wrote, “…your wife is obviously a manipulative bitch.”  And then ask him if she recently went off her meds?

Just me?

Disclaimer: PittGirl in no way condones, encourages, or participates in the choking or slapping of bitches.  She does however like to joke about it.

1. merman
    May 27, 2008 9:19 am

Cat’s call: Buy her an Irish cap.

2. Gibbydinkerwald
    May 27, 2008 9:45 am

While I agree violence is not the way, it is a reality that some people, men and women alike, really do need to be slapped smartly once in awhile.

3. pittgirl
    May 27, 2008 9:53 am

Or at the very least, kicked in the pants.

4. Kat
    May 27, 2008 10:33 am

I don’t understand why the Cat person has an advice column when she consistently gives craptacular advice. You should have a column, PG.

5. Cindy T.
    May 27, 2008 11:33 am

A clothesline….really?

6. retiredguy
    May 27, 2008 12:30 pm

What? Does she like her straight jacket to have a fresh, outdoorsy smell?

If that story is true that guy needs to get out now.

Remember, divorce is expensive because it’s worth it.

7. Judge Rufus Peckham
    May 27, 2008 12:38 pm

From the sound of Cat’s responses today, she must be going through an awful breakup with a guy and has decided to take it out on my entire gender through her advice column. In the answer to the husband that PittGirl references, she leaps across a chasm to assume that “your wife obviously felt ignored (or otherwise dismissed) by you, and the only way to get your attention was to nearly lose the whole deal.” Never does Cat consider the only reasonable conclusion to be drawn from the facts presented: the wife is flat-out nuts, and the husband ought to run and hide.

The other letter Cat deals with today is from a woman complaining about her boyfriend who says “sometimes I get the idea that maybe he’s not trying as hard as he could” to find a new job. Cat’s response does not include the “assuming your story is accurate” disclaimer that she made sure to tack on to the response to the man in the first letter. She simply assumes the woman’s characterization is dead-on, then she provides thoughtful and loving advice that includes the following: “Don’t give him your money. . . . he’s able-bodied . . . and he hardly qualifies for your charity.” She goes out of her way to add this: “Don’t waste time trying to motivate him. Instead let him reassure you that everything will be fine.”

You go, girlfriend! Get those evil men!

8. Monty
    May 27, 2008 1:23 pm

Is it just me or does that One Free Bitch Slap picture look an awful lot like a young Kareem Abdul Jabbar rubbing Christopher Walken’s cheek with the back of his hand??

F’ing creepy.

May 27, 2008 10:47 pm

“Young Kareem” had a name: Lew Alcindor.

Just sayin’.