- May 27, 2008
- filed under City Council, David Conrad, Evgeni Malkin, Mayor Ravenstahl, Penguins, Sidney Crosby
1. Pens. NOOOOOOOOO!
It is so incredibly frustrating when you realize that we’ve got two of the best hockey players in the world and they haven’t managed to score a goal in two games.
But you know, you’ve got to give credit to the Red Wings and their incredible speed. Or am I just imagining that they seem to skate faster than the Pens? And if I’m being honest, I’m pretty sure the Red Wings have 13 men on the ice at all times.
2. While watching the Pens on Saturday night, ignoring the fact that the score was three to zero, my brother in law was telling a bunch of us a little story about trying to pull his young son’s tooth out. Said my BIL, originally from, I don’t know, Wisconsin or Oregon maybe, then California, then Texas and recently Pittsburgh: “Yeah, I tried to pull the tooth out for him, but it was too slippy.”
I paused. Everyone paused.
I said, “What did you just say?”
Said a friend of the family, “He said slippy.”
Ah, welcome to Pittsburgh and the realization that slippy is just a lot easier to say than slippery.
I was so proud of him. First time he busts out a yinz, I might shed tears.
3. This is an ad for TOTALLY LEGITIMATE SEXUAL RESEARCH!
4. Bram and Char from the Pittsburgh Pist-Gazette interviewed Patrick Dowd, and if that’s your cup of tea, have at it. I gotta say though, as much as I love Char with the burning fire of a million suns (particularly for her Pittsburgh Promise research), I don’t agree at all with this sentiment:
DOWD: “Well there it is. There’s an election coming up. People can make choices.”
CHAR: “I know but … People in this town don’t care about anything unless it’s sports related.”
DOWD: “I disagree. I totally disagree. I ran a campaign where people cared. And Obama did too. Lots of people have. And it matters. I think that people care. I actually think … I believe actually… that we’re at a tipping point.”
People in this town care about things other than sports.
They just care about sports FIRST.
5. The following are the official standings for the First Annual PittGirl Whack a Penguin Olympics, in which, sadly, despite her best efforts to fix the whole damn thing, PittGirl didn’t even medal. Whatevs.
- Gold: Score of 323.5 goes to Maria, DW, and Ted (Rick H claims it, but couldn’t supply proof. NO MEDAL FOR YOU!)
- Silver: Score of 323.3 goes to Sean, Mia, and Michael (Stephanique1and Bram claim it as well)
- Bronze: Score of 322.9 goes to Allison and Jimmy
That’s a crowded podium!
6. Said Lukey:
“I think it’s just a bump in the road,” Mayor Luke Ravenstahl said. “They still want to make it happen. If you look around here, Downtown, with the exception of the Cultural Trust’s decision, the majority of projects are moving forward.”
DRINK! Drink ten drinks. You have my permission as Commissioner because dudes, it is going to take LOTS of alcohol to forget the last two Pens games.
7. David Conrad’s go-to guy for cool “blacksmithing”. I wonder will he fashion me some decorative spikes for ceremonial pigeon-impalings?
Speaking of my future best friend David Conrad, the writer at Zap2It wrote:
I’m going to start a David Conrad Fan Club. I’m sure there already is one, but he needs a few. Yay David. Yay Jim for really standing up for Melinda when she wasn’t able to do it for herself.
Of course David Conrad already has a fan club. Its name is PittGirl. Gawd.
8. Hah! Scaredy cats!
9. Doesn’t this guy, like, have a job or anything?