Are we clear for Baby Face?

Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl’s administration said yesterday that sending a police detective with him to Detroit over the weekend was a reasonable concession to security concerns.

“You’re sending him to Detroit with 20,000 rabid Red Wings fans, and you’re not going to send security?” said Public Safety Director Michael Huss.

Mr. Huss said it was his decision to have the city provide a Chevy Impala, gas, and two nights in a hotel for Detective Dominick Sciulli, who will receive some overtime pay for his work on the trip.

Mr. Huss said that once Mr. Ravenstahl got to Detroit, the city’s police provided an additional bodyguard. Detective Sciulli was able to attend the games free of charge, as a courtesy extended to security professionals.

Are you seeing what I’m seeing?

1.  I’m seeing this first:

Wait.  I’M not sending him to Detroit.  YOU’RE not sending him to Detroit.  THE CITY didn’t send him to Detroit.

He sent his own self to Detroit.  It’s not like he was attending a Mayor’s conference for crying out loud.  It was a hockey game or two.

2.  And I’m seeing this:

WTF?

Would someone please tell Luke Ravenstahl that he is not the President of the United States?

Also, when PittGirl is mayor and she decides to travel to a Steelers or Penguins or Pirates … HAHAH!  Funny, PittGirl … game, I’ll have all of my husbands to protect me, free of charge to you, the gracious taxpayers that elected me.

Me and my little army of smokin’ hotness.

1. merman
    May 28, 2008 8:09 am

Did he really need to go to a SECOND hockey game instead of honoring his commitment to the veterans groups that he promised that he would attend their Memorial Day services?

It’s not like we are a nation at war or anything.

Some people believe public service is putting on a uniform, not attending hockey games with your boyz.

May 28, 2008 8:24 am

If he just sat in the stands and comported himself like a regular guy, why would anybody in Detroit know who he was to harrass him? Would you recognize the mayor of Detroit if he sat next to you and acted like a regular guy? (This rhetorical question applies to men only; if you’re a woman, he will try to have an affair with you).

3. 8 Mile
    May 28, 2008 8:31 am

“if you’re a woman, he will try to have an affair with you.”

And then kill you.

Seriously. wikipedia Kwame Kilpatrick.

4. youz2
    May 28, 2008 8:32 am

Did you used to date him back in high school or something? God, you’re bitter.

5. Julie
    May 28, 2008 8:33 am

Maybe I’m not looking in the right place, but I just tried to find this article on the PG website, and other than clicking on the link from The Burgh Blog, I can’t find it anywhere. Weird.

6. retiredguy
    May 28, 2008 8:50 am

Well, Lukey does have a history of drinking and acting the fool at sporting events. Rest assured, if he started screaming and M-Fing at a Detroit police officer outside a sporting venue, he wouldn’t be “unarrested” and the Officer wouldn’t be given a plum assignment to the river patrol.

7. BagitTagit
    May 28, 2008 8:56 am

Seriously…

Can you impeach for Asinine-ity?

8. Lily
    May 28, 2008 8:59 am

Pittsburgh voters deserve who they voted for – it isn’t as if this is new behavior for the Mayor.

9. PittinDC
    May 28, 2008 9:09 am

This is how it works everywhere. It doesn’t matter where Fenty (the DC mayor) goes, he has a security guard with him. The fact of the matter is, even if it is HIGHLY unlikely that anything would happen to Lukey in Detroit, and, it is highly unlikely, any mayor of any recognizable city is going to have protection with him at all times. Also, it sounds like Lukey didn’t ask for the detective, they just gave it to hiim. So I guess I’m just missing what the big deal is about this one.

10. Burghthing
    May 28, 2008 9:19 am

Nice of us to pay for his gas too. I wonder if we paid for his nachos as well?

11. toni
    May 28, 2008 9:20 am

“So he needed two bodyguards to protect him from the 20,000 rabid Red Wing fans hell bent on killing our mayor?”

Personally, in this instance, I’m rooting for the Red Wing fans.

12. 8 Mile
    May 28, 2008 9:33 am

PittinDC:
    I think the distinction is that Detroit has jurisdiction. A PGH Cop can’t make an arrest there. Detroit provided an executive detail. Having the PGH Bodyguard go was just a way to get the city to pick up the tab for the Gas and hotel.

13. BagitTagit
    May 28, 2008 9:39 am

PittinDC is obviously not “PittinDC working in Politics”

I’m sure the conversation was:

“I’m Going alone!”

“No, please take this Constable and have our bankrupt city pay the charges.”

“No, I will NOT do this to the city”

“But you MUST!”

Yada Yada Yada.

They shoulda taken a PAT Bus…

14. adam
    May 28, 2008 9:44 am

My only question is whether anyone would care if Bob O’Connor, Sophie Masloff, or Tom Murphy would’ve gotten the same treatment, or if this is just more hating on our incompetent Kid Mayor. I’m by no means a Luke supporter- I think he’s been a massive disappointment- but I really don’t see the big deal here.

The bigger deal would be that he blew off the Vets. Didn’t he blow off a women’s group to go to a Pitt basketball game or something?

15. Anonymous
    May 28, 2008 10:06 am

Actually I believe he blew off the Northside to attend a redsox game. Oh, and I think he blew off the Hill residents for something too.

I agree, the biggest issue here is that he blew off the Vets. Now I read somewhere he didn’t even let them know and they were waiting for him to show up. Does anyone know if that is true? If so, that really should be a story all on its own.

16. PittinDC
    May 28, 2008 10:06 am

Actually, I did work on the outskirts of politics for a while, so I do know that, often, mayors and governors and others have their own people with them. Also, I never said that Luke denied the coverage. It just doesn’t sound like he asked for it. If I missed that somewhere, I apologize. Whoever elected Luke elected him knowing all about the stuff that he did prior to the special election. They didn’t have to elect him. And they don’t have to elect him again. If you want a mayor that isn’t 27 and doesn’t make stupid mistakes every once in a while, elect one. Otherwise, you get a 27 year old mayor that sometimes makes stupid mistakes.

17. curtO.
    May 28, 2008 10:13 am

Well, at least now we know why the Pens didn’t show up to play games 1 or 2…they were taking after the mayor doing his job so well…

18. pghcleak
    May 28, 2008 10:28 am

The bodyguards were probably there to protect OTHERS against an angry drunken baby face.

Remember the Steelers game before he became mayor? Attacking police officers and what not.

19. BagitTagit
    May 28, 2008 11:02 am

For me, it IS just more hating on our incompetent Kid Mayor.

The problem is a chimp would get elected as Mayor of Pittsburgh, as long as the chimp had a pulse and a (D) next to his last name.

20. Doug
    May 28, 2008 11:20 am

PG — Why are you so shocked when the YINHZER elected by all the YIHNZERS goes off YIHNZERING? You know as well as anybody that a professional sports playoff is absolutely sacred. Way more than the feast of the Assumption in Bloomfield when streets are shut down days ahead so all the fried food vendors can move in. It’s sacred. And to those left here without a ticket and worried about Escalade sized pot holes or the increase in armed robberies, our boy Lukey would say
    “Lock yourselves indoors and gather RAHND the TV and our collective cheering will help us move the city forward. And it will pick you up from being DAHWN in the dumps.”

21. Bram R
    May 28, 2008 12:44 pm

Thaaaaank you! I noticed the “sent” thing, too. And I have a lot of respect for Mike Huss, as does just about everybody else, but I wonder also does he mean that Pittsburghers should fear attending sporting events in Detroit with all those “rabid” fans.

I get the distinct impression that the bodyguard operates not so much in the role of Agent Sarah Walker as that of Jimminy Cricket.

22. retiredguy
    May 28, 2008 12:46 pm

I agree, the bigger deal is that he blew off veterans. I am sure there were more than a few Memorial Day ceremonies the mayor of Pittsburgh could have attended.

He certainly didn’t miss his chance to march in the St. Paddy’s day parade, TWICE. Once with Fast Eddie Rendell and Shrillery then going back for a repeat all by himself.

23. c
    May 28, 2008 2:01 pm

Boring. Once again – stuck on the minutia. Hmmm.

24. toni
    May 28, 2008 2:21 pm

He blew off the hill when he crashed the golf outing to be all star struck with Tiger Woods.

25. Different Brian
    May 28, 2008 4:11 pm

I don’t think the Boy Wonder has to worry about being beaten up… if those Detroit people had any sense they would steal him and send Kilpatrick back to us.

Fortunately we all know the Detroit people have no sense… why else would they live in the economic hellhole that is Detroit? Not to say the Burgh is the land of milk and honey, but cmon now. You can get milk and honey dahn Aldi’s n at.

26. Burgher Jon
    May 28, 2008 5:38 pm

I have a theory, the Detroit and Pittsburgh PDs sent “guards” to protect the city from a guy with a history of making trouble at sporting events. Let’s not forget he’s been “detained” for disorderly conduct before. It’s either that or Pittsburgh had money to waste… take your pick.

27. PittCheMBA
    May 29, 2008 1:25 am

No one in Detroit would know Lukey was the mayor of the Burgh unless he carried a big sign saying “I am the Mayor of Pittsburgh”.

28. DaBurgh
    June 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Hey PghCleak, how’s the ole’ city-data thing going? I see you!
    Games were great, better luck next time.