What what!

Yesterday, as my family gathered for the Pens game, sitting out on my sister’s deck enjoying the sunshine, listening to the sounds of neighborhood kids playing hockey in the street, the dog barking because he’d really like to get his chops on that there hockey ball, the grill crackling with peppers, steaks, and cobbed corn, we began discussing what was to come. The Game. Oh, God. The Game! [hand wringing]

My mother, the world’s greatest fair weather fan (I’m going to buy her a necklace charm with that on it), was sure the Pens were going to lose in epic fashion. She regularly will bust out at least once a game with, “Sometimes I hate the Penguins.”

My father was doubtful they could pull it off, as was my brother-in-law. My sister was silent, probably because she was imagining dirty things that have to do with Sidney Crosby.

I was positive. They are winning the game. There is no way they’re losing today. You just watch. They’re going to come out with fire.

From the grill he was manning, my brother-in-law let out some kind of snort. Seated at the table across from me, my father gave me one of those looks you give a little kid who swears that she just saw the Easter Bunny in the backyard having a smoke with Elvis. My mother laughed and shook her head at poor delusional PittGirl. “Oh, PittGirl actually believes they’re going to win.”

I said, “All y’all are HATERS.”

And I got a lecture that no, we’re not haters, we’re just realistic.

Yeah, well PBTHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Huh? Huh? What did I say?

I’ll tell you what I said to my family. I said, “Listen, we may not be the better team, but the better team does NOT always win. We don’t need to be the better team; we just need to figure out a way to win games.”

When Sidney Crosby scored his first goal, which, would you look at his face?

My family’s faces were like that to the power of ten. Freaking out. You could hear the neighborhood freaking out. People screaming. Dogs barking. Angels getting their wings.

My sister said, exactly like this, word for word, kind of quietly then louder so her husband could hear it: “I would totally have Sidney Crosby’s baby and I wouldn’t even make him pay child support.”

Today, I think we’d all like to have Sidney Crosby’s babies.

One down. Three to go. Keep the faith, because at some point, Geno is totally going to show up.

1. blech
    May 29, 2008 8:05 am

CHURCH!

2. Steeler_tom
    May 29, 2008 8:18 am

YA-HOOOOOOO!

3. Lily
    May 29, 2008 8:26 am

WOO-HOO!!!

4. strugglingwriter
    May 29, 2008 8:29 am

Great post. I don’t think my stomach has yet calmed down from the game last night. Imagine if they win Saturday night!

“Angels getting their wings.” – that made me giggle.

5. Kristin
    May 29, 2008 8:38 am

FINALLY!! Sid is back! (And yes I totally would have his babies) If Malkin steps it up, we can totally win this thing. And then I will have his babies too. GO PENS!!

6. Fan on his own dime (and time)
    May 29, 2008 8:41 am

Haven’t any of you girls heard of contraception?

7. Pensrule
    May 29, 2008 8:48 am

sickeningly sweet game

8. curtO.
    May 29, 2008 8:54 am

Bandwagon fans that jumped off after the 2nd loss, can stay off. They are the “Debbie Downers” of Pens fans.

Fact is, Detroit has only lost one playoff game at home. But the Pens have lost none. The only MUST win game in Detroit is game 7, in the meantime, we just have to hold our own at home…

But how horrible were those refs? Not sure if TV showed all the terrible calls and also the non calls…not to blame anything on them, but this IS the 3rd game in a row that the refs stunk. Who grades these people on their performance?

cO.

9. spoon
    May 29, 2008 8:54 am

I swear to God I that game was going to give me an ulcer. As soon as Detroit pulled within one I was thinking “oh shit, here we go”. That was hands down one of the best games I have ever watched. You have to admit that the Pens weren’t really challenged through the playoffs and I think it was a shock to see Detroit to come out in games 1 and 2 like they did. If playing at home isn’t motivation, hearing word that Detroit is already planning a parade for June 3rd should be.

On Hockey This Morning it was refreshing to hear Red Wing fans knocked down a peg that this is a series. Face it, you got out played and as one of my friends put it “Detroit always blows their load in the first 2 games and then wonder what happened.”

10. Burgh Baby
    May 29, 2008 9:02 am

Somebody needs to get on with the baby-making with Sid already. I have decided that my 2-year old will be entering into an arranged marriage with his first born son, and I’d really rather she not have to rob the cradle too much.

Go Pens!

11. Renatta
    May 29, 2008 9:13 am

WORD!
    your sister? cracked my shit up.

12. emstef23
    May 29, 2008 9:15 am

would only have sid’s babies if he shaved off his really bad playoof beard. it kind of freaks me out.

13. deebee
    May 29, 2008 9:16 am

I printed out a bunch of cheer cards put them up @ work yesterday. Most everyone said said Pens are done going to lose tonight. HA!! Texted most of them at the end of the game saying “see I told you a win @ home!”

Also I got tired of explaining the card with the 3 penguins looking @ a octopus with the heading OCTOWUSSY.

14. Lauren
    May 29, 2008 9:25 am

Has anyone self united to Sid yet? Is it wrong to self unite to him when you are getting married in a month for reals? I have a moral dilemma : )

15. Julie
    May 29, 2008 9:40 am

I knew they were going to win. I just had a feeling. I bet my friend, a Redwings fan (I know, a Redwings fan in Pittsburgh… but he grew up in Detroit), two very expensive martinis that the Pens would win. It was classic watching him suffer in pain when he realized his team was going to lose. Now my only problem is figuring out which place in the city has the priciest drinks. :)

16. Mrs Pitsberger
    May 29, 2008 9:56 am

If Gary Roberts is the new Chuck Norris, then Brooks Orpik is the new Gary Roberts. That dude is a BAD ASS!!!

17. lolo
    May 29, 2008 10:01 am

hey Julie – Red Room at the corner of Penn Circle and Highland Ave. Chocolate martinis are fantastic AND expensive. :)

18. toni
    May 29, 2008 10:05 am

When your brother-in-law snorted, did you turn around all exasperated and go “DUDE”?!?!

19. In Sewickley
    May 29, 2008 10:15 am

See, the thing with Pittsburghers is that they’re not bandwagon fans. We love to see our sports teams represent us well. We’re just a bunch of people who complain a lot, but it’s all because we want the best.

I am not a bandwagon fan. I bleed black and gold.

And by the way… Malkin did show up last night. He had a good game. Might not have been his best but he was there. Give the kid credit!

20. Sean
    May 29, 2008 11:12 am

I agree Sewickley. Malkin played really well yesterday. Sure he didn’t score, but there was some jump in his legs again. He unleashed a wicked shot that stung Osgood, even through his pads. You can’t blame him for getting frustrated, he was tripped up at least three times yesterday in what seemed to be obvious penalties, but never got a call. He’s going to rebound, and Hossa is getting great chances again. He’s going to put in one or two.

Way to keep the faith, PittGirl. It’s going to be tough, but this team can pull it out.

21. Maria
    May 29, 2008 11:21 am

That game, especially the third period, was the most intense, stressful hockey game I’ve ever watched.

Okay, maybe that’s an exaggeration but it was still AWESOME.

And I would gladly have every single Pittsburgh Penguins’ baby. I could make my own little team. Literally, the “Baby Penguins.”

22. Anonymous
    May 29, 2008 11:24 am

So, is it wrong of me to lust after Sid when he is barely older than my son?? Not only is he beautiful, but to watch him play….yummmmmmm.

23. Christina
    May 29, 2008 11:27 am

I’ll be so glad when this is all over. Not that I don’t love watching the games, but it gets stressful with my loved one yelling obscenities and cheering at the tv. Our dog is with me on this, too.

24. DW
    May 29, 2008 1:02 pm

That 10-12 minute span without a whistle was some of the best action I have seen in any hockey game. Period. It was intense and wacthing Orpik hammer 3 Wings to the ice on one shift was awesome. I really wish they’d put up some $$ to re-sign him.

Malkin did play well overall…I wouldn’t be surprised if they are hiding some sort of nagging injury to Malkin. You don’t go from dominating the Rangers on your own and playing well for first game of Flyers series to basically nothing in the span of a few games.

A win Saturday is a must, you gotta still believe!

25. deebee
    May 29, 2008 1:20 pm

Anonoymous, I have wondered the samething.

May 29, 2008 1:24 pm

when the game started last night, the wings were skating and playing pretty much the same as they did in games 1 and 2.

“ugh,” I thought.

then, after the wings’ first penalty, it looked to me like the pens finally woke up from the deep, deep sleep they were in.

sid? he was back — with a vengence. that look on his face when he scored our first finals goal said it all.

malkin? not a huge factor, but he was skating with a purpose again.

max talbot? wicky wicka wicka! (or whatever.)

orpik? hot damn, where you been hiding that? it was as if he saw therrien’s face on every red wing. that tough love approach must be gettin’ through.

fleury? that save he made last night was ALMOST as impressive as the one frankie pietrangelo made in the ’91 cup playoffs.

27. back in the burgh
    May 29, 2008 1:39 pm

My POWER WENT OUT!!! Not kidding … start of the second period – entire neighborhood is OUT. Not wasting time to find a radio with a battery in it, we listen to the 2nd period in the car (dog and all). At the intermission break we manage to locate 6 “C” batteries and load up the ol’ boom box. Then we hunkered down and listened to Mike Lang in the candlelight. I love Mike Lang, but I think I would have REALLY, REALLY liked to have seen the 2nd and 3rd periods. The power came back on with 43 seconds left in the 3rd. Hey, I’ll take a win, even if I just get to listen to it! (By the way, my husband is from Michigan, so you can imagine how pleasant our household is right now!) Thanks so much Penn Power!!!

28. spoon
    May 29, 2008 1:54 pm

back in the burgh, You might want to talk to Woy about that. It’s his fault. long story.

unsatisfied, that save was DAMN close to frankie. Personally Fleury ranks above it because I got to see it on tv as it happened and not on a highlight film.

29. Woy
    May 29, 2008 2:59 pm

Back In The Burgh – Are you serious? I think we live very, very close to each other.

As far as why the Penguins won… I wasn’t watching. Seriously. Without any power, there was no way that I could possibly jinx the team.

(Thanks for cutting my wires, Father Spoon)

30. back in the burgh
    May 29, 2008 3:18 pm

Woy – totally serious. My parents had their power back in 5 minutes, but ours was out all night. Thanks for your help in the Pens victory! Hey – whatever it takes, right! :-)

31. Mark
    May 29, 2008 3:21 pm

P,

Saw the Duke at the game, peeking that gnarly mug out of Mario’s box . Also saw about 10,000 DFP’s ( Duke of Fug Posers) with the Duke starter kit on- thin goatee,pristine white ball cap on backwards pulled down to the brow, big tee shirt, big jeans, giant watch, pristine white kicks- you know they look in the mirror on the way out the door all ‘yeah..got my Ben on’…and their Moms and GF;s are saying ‘oh my god- with that goatee and baseball hat in, you look JUST LIKE BEN’. But I digress. Great game; it stopped looking like Han Solo pushed the Hyperspace button on the Red Wings, and we got our collective asses in gear. Our boys looked pissed…in a good way and they stopped waiting to be contested and contested the Wings. Pens in 6!

32. Woy
    May 29, 2008 3:23 pm

Back in the burgh – Hah! Yeah… My power was out all night too.

I yelled out the score to the neighborhood that the Pens scored the second goal as I followed it on Twitter.

One of them yelled, “2-0?”

I said, “Yeah!”

Cheers erupted and someone yelled, “Go Pens!”

Awesome.

33. Pensgirl
    May 29, 2008 6:01 pm

Oh, Lauren, I self-united with him eons ago. In fact, it was during his first shift of the Minnesota game.

Anybody who knows this Pens team HAD to believe. They really didn’t show up during the first two games, and it was extremely uncharacteristic of them to be absent for so long. You just had to know that the real Pens would turn up sooner or later, and that coming home would be just the kick in the pants they needed.

Detroit is not a clearly better team. They just looked like it for awhile because the Pens let them. Now? It’s on!

And I agree, Geno did have a great game. To me he looks like the extremely long season has him tired and he was playing on force of will last night. But he’s got an incredible willpower, so that should be enough to get him some goals as we…wait for it…MOVE FORWARD!

(sorry, had to)

34. julietc
    May 29, 2008 9:18 pm

That was an amazing game. Amazing. And this post totally rocked. I was giggling all about. I loved when Sid scored and flipped and was all “Yeah Bitches!” I’d love one for Geno too.
    Let’s go pens!

35. Lauren
    May 30, 2008 8:54 am

Pensgirl-At least I don’t have to feel guilty during my wedding now, although after speaking to my fiancee about it (who’s all “aren’t you a little obsessed with the Burghblog?”), I don’t think he would mind as long as he could self unite with Jessica Alba : )

36. BIGGEORGE
    June 2, 2008 6:59 am

Um……PittGirl….by using “All y’all”
    correctly in a sentence you are one step
    to officially becoming a Southerner.

At least that is what I was told when I