And this is the late nineties Caddyshack line.

LaMont Jones, the fashion editor of the PG, has an article about mixing up combinations for a two-piece outfit with appeal.

Here’s one of LaMont’s suggestions for an outfit with appeal:

Really?!

LaMont calls this look “sporty and uptown“.  I call it ugly, schmucky, and late eighties used-car dealer.  I mean really.  The sunglasses.  The fedora.  The leather strappy wrist thingies.  THE NECKLACE!  Too.  Much.

Can I get a job as a fashion editor?  Because if I’m doing an article on hot summer looks for men that are both sporty and “uptown”, here’s what I’m dressing you in, boys:

Or this:

But by all means, take LaMont’s advice over mine.  After all he IS the fashion editor and I’m just a fashion genius.

1. Burghthing
    June 2, 2008 10:35 am

There are times I really hate our image-blocking firewall.

2. chrys
    June 2, 2008 11:08 am

LOL! Hey LaMont.. the 90s are calling..Boys to Men want their clothes back..

3. Lyon Advocate
    June 2, 2008 11:09 am

I think that you are confusing the models (model?) with the clothes. Maybe it’s just me, but I think that 99.5% of the population – myself included – would look far better in LaMont’s pick than in the sweater in your first photo. Not that I think that LaMont’s guy looks particularly good, just that few guys can pull off the plunging neckline look.

4. Lyon Advocate
    June 2, 2008 11:11 am

At least with LaMont’s look I could try to play it off as ironic or a lost bet.

5. Brian
    June 2, 2008 11:13 am

When I see people dressed like the above, I automatically assume they have a Nickelback ringtone, probably rock a hemp necklace, and are the last people I want to talk to at a gathering. But that’s just me being judgmental (and probably right).

6. johnny
    June 2, 2008 11:16 am

I would wear that.
    If I was on an episode of Miami Vice.

7. pittgirl
    June 2, 2008 11:18 am

Lyon, I’m absolutely not confused. When I looked at those clothes, I imagined them on regular men, versus the crap that LaMont wants you to wear, and I promise you, even an average guy would look better in my choices than in LaMont’s. Hell, LaMont’s model would look a million times better in my choices.

8. DW
    June 2, 2008 11:22 am

Al Czervik: Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?
    [looks at Judge Smails, who’s wearing the same hat]

Al Czervik: Oh, it looks good on you though.

9. Christina
    June 2, 2008 11:30 am

LaMont has kind of a cush job as the fashion editor of a Pittsburgh newspaper. Is Pittsburgh really known as a fashion hub of the East? Not really.

Telling men to buy matching bland two piece outfits and to switch them out with varying degrees of ugly tops and caps is just irresponsible. Think of the women around here, LaMont. Look at the suggestions you just gave to some clueless men who are trying to impress said women. If I saw a man walking down the street wearing one of those outfits, I think I’d just start laughing hysterically. I doubt I’d be the only one.

10. spoon
    June 2, 2008 11:32 am

You want to see some fashion? I gots you some fashion!

Sombrero – $2
    Mexican throw thing – $10
    Beverage – $3
    Eye Black for a mustache – I have no idea. I bought it 3 years ago.

11. Bram R
    June 2, 2008 11:36 am

#2 is best. LaMont’s #1 beats #3 all to hell. A sweater, a jacket, and shorts. And then some X-Man sunglasses.

12. Stephanique1
    June 2, 2008 12:13 pm

LOL @ chrys

13. Mia`
    June 2, 2008 12:24 pm

Okay, perhaps it’s just me, but I’d be snickering at all of those guys. Your picks just make me think they should be in San Fransico, and his picks brought back memories of the guy from “Clueless.”

14. Lyon Advocate
    June 2, 2008 12:48 pm

Mia nailed LaMont’s pick. Brilliant. That said, the only San Franciscans wearing PG’s picks would be tourists from the Midwest or South trying to dress like locals. Looks more Vegas or South Beach to me.

15. In Sewickley
    June 2, 2008 12:54 pm

I loved the look Lamont suggested!!!!!!!!!

The PittGirl fashions for boys are sucktastic. Sorry PittGirl!

16. Paging Mr. Big
    June 2, 2008 1:01 pm

Pgh men’s fashion goes like this:

Dress up: Golf shirt, khakis

Acceptable casual: Anything that isn’t neon or mesh.

The end.

June 2, 2008 1:21 pm

seeing those threads makes me want to do my “carlton” dance. it’s awesome.

18. Jake
    June 2, 2008 1:22 pm

Ummm, don’t wanna go splitting hairs on this one but last I checked (and this applies to both of you) jackets for the most part don’t come into play during the summer. But I admit, yours suck much less than the unemployed-cab-driver-hanging-out-at-the-beach-effect that Lamont was going for.

Then again, he is the fashion editor for the PPG (which I didn’t even know the job existed and now question if it should) and that doesn’t stand for the Paris Post Gazette.

19. don
    June 2, 2008 1:37 pm

Fashion depends on your place in society. What works in the hood may not in the burbs. This fashion editor is main stream in one of those. I think Pitt Girl has the better eye for mine.

20. BagitTagit
    June 2, 2008 1:45 pm

Dude… we live in Pittsburgh. None of those outfits match my raincoat, so I’m out…

21. Magnus Patris
    June 2, 2008 2:00 pm

If he’s wearing black knee high socks and sandals with that outfit; change the leather bracelet to a medic-alert bracelet and make the sunglasses those HUGE wraparound types, that’s how my 86 year old dad has dressed since 1972.

22. Marcy
    June 2, 2008 2:37 pm

OMG Magnus, mine too!

23. Eric W
    June 2, 2008 3:35 pm

LOL @ chrys :)

I’m gonna go out on a limb and call PittGirl’s picks as I see ’em: fugstasticly craptacular.

24. scottie
    June 2, 2008 4:59 pm

Spoon: is that the love child of Sombrero Dude and (fill in your favorite radio personality)?

PG: I agree on Lamont’s fashion, but your’s also look like gay day (read: every day) on Walnut… ;-)