A pigeon story in pictures

Last Friday in Mellon Square:

At least that’s what SHOULD have happened next to that evil pigeon lady.

Seriously, if you feed pigeons and your pigeon-feeding doesn’t result in said pigeons angrily dive-bombing you and getting all up in your face to peck your eyeballs out when the bread supply runs dry, that is Satan at work.

h/t to reader Bridget who wrote:

Last Friday I was trying my hardest to ignore the large flock in the grass near me when this crazy lady came walking up and started feeding them bread.  I wanted to scream at her for being so inconsiderate to all of the people sitting there trying to enjoy their lunch break without having to worry about the evil birds getting too close to them, or god forbid poop on them.

Just thought I would share the story, and ask that you publicly shame said crazy lady

Consider her shamed.

1. Kelli
    June 3, 2008 11:47 am

I remember once trying to cross a street downtown, waiting for the light to change. And some crotchety old lady came along and threw birdseed at my feet. I was immediately dive-bombed by pigeons and had a total freak out. And honest-to-god panic attack.

And, I missed the light change, so I ended up standing on that corner forever.

I don’t know who she was, but I feel something similar to hate towards her. She was throwing that stuff down every couple of steps. That is pure evil.

2. dayafternext
    June 3, 2008 12:13 pm

It’s been a few years since I’ve lived in the Burgh. Is feeding the pigeons legal? My town has proposed a $1,000 fine for the offense – which I think is awesome. Hope it passes.

3. Pittsburgh Tom (in NJ)
    June 3, 2008 12:46 pm

Don’t know if it’s legal or not, but if it’s illegal, imagine the PR nightmare that could come about if an elderly lady got “harassed” by the police for feeding birds while “real crime” was happening elsewhere?

All it would take would be for one old lady to refuse to pay the fine and if she went to jail for refusing to pay the fine, news outlet would have a field day with the headlines like “old lady jailed for feeding birds”.

I’m not saying it’s right, but I could see it happening.

4. retiredguy
    June 3, 2008 12:58 pm

I hate people that feed pigeons. I really hate people who feed sea gulls at the beach. I don’t feed any birds since bird seed draws rats. I do keep a birdbath full of water though.

5. W. A. Schrift
    June 3, 2008 1:12 pm

Retiredguy: The only acceptable thing to feed seagulls are Alka-Seltzer tablets.

6. S
    June 3, 2008 1:21 pm

The actual act of feeding pigeons is not illegal in the city. BUT, it is an enforceable county health code violation to throw food on the ground, which is obviously what people do to feed pigeons.

Municipal police forces (i.e. city police) are allowed to enforce county health code violations.

7. Pittsburgh Tom (in NJ)
    June 3, 2008 1:41 pm

I’ve seen people divebombed on the boardwalks on the Jersey shore by sea gulls. They can definitely be out of control. Makes me wish they were like the pelicans that hung around us when I was younger and fished off of a pier in florida. The pelicans would beg like dogs when they saw someone catch a fish, but they never attacked.

8. chrys
    June 3, 2008 8:09 pm

it takes all kinds.. she is an idiot.