Random n’at.

1. Good rainy morning, Burghers far and wide. It’s a rainy, thunder-y, and maybe tornado-y day here in the Burgh, but who gives a damn? It’s hockey night! As long as the Igloo is still standing by game time, we’re fine. This post is going to be pretty much all Pens all the time. If that’s not your thing, bloop-bloop-bloop.

2. I tried to get away with wearing my Hossa shirt with my skirt to work today, but surprisingly, I just couldn’t make it look dressy enough. Not even with the diamond tiara and sash. Bummer. But I’m still wearing the appropriate colors.

3. The Edmonton Sun gives Marc Andre his due. That is that he is a hockey god. The best headline so far was the one I saw briefly but can’t find again: The Fast and The Fleuryous. Holla.

4. If you guys haven’t been reading The Pensblog lately, you must go check it out. They’re really doing some stellar reporting over there, particularly at capturing the emotions behind the games. I heart them so much, they’ve been added to the blogroll. Somewhere, my friend Chad Hermann is all, “Oh, no she di’int!!” Saucy said, “Oh, snap, she di’id!”

5. Don Cherry says that Mario Lemieux “embarrassed” the NHL referees during his playing days. Don Cherry … say it with me … can bite me. Also, Don Cherry embarrasses himself with that jacket of his. That looks like an outfit LaMont Jones would put together.

Ba-ba-BAH!

6. Here’s another article to allow you to practice your anger management. As a hockey fan for most of my life, but not the kind of fan that can talk hockey rules like I can talk football rules, this confuses me:

But the problem was that special teams should never determine the outcome of a battle as spirited as Game 5. Referees should never dictate an overtime game, but that’s what happened Monday. Nothing short of decapitation should merit a man-advantage in overtime. It’s the antithesis of the hockey code — play until you bleed and then play even harder. The overtime officiating was an insult to the players’ unflinching commitment to sacrifice their bodies at any cost for the ultimate prize.

Wait. I’m sorry. So in hockey, in overtime, the rules don’t count? Wow. Can we get this in football so that the next time we’re in an overtime situation we can just pummel the punt returner even when he calls fair catch? Or, or, can we just go for the quarterback’s knees? We’re not decapitating him. Just sweeping the leg.

7. Who said it?

“Physically, it’s more mentally than anything. If you can understand what I’m saying. ‘Cause I can’t.”

a. George Bush, because come on, that totes sounds like something he would say.

b. Lukey Ravenstahl, about how gosh darn hard it is to be Mayor and be all ethical and shit.

c. Saucy, about how frickin’ awesome she is.

d. Maxime Talbot, about how frickin’ awesome HE is. Jesus saves.

(h/t DW)

8. Reader Heather sent this photo that she mentioned had been making the rounds at her work.

Gorgeous.

9. Lots of readers have emailed me to let me know that they’ve self-united to various Pens players. I sure hope Marc Andre Fleury is prepared for his 17 wives and two husbands.

1. Stacey
    June 4, 2008 9:51 am

HA! Add another self-united wife to Fleury… LETS GO PENS!!!

2. Amazon woman
    June 4, 2008 10:02 am

I call a day of abstinence for the team since we are all self-united. The boys need rest. Tomorrow we can have hot nasty sex or pity sex, depending on game outcome.

Afterwards, we’ll all meet up at Eat-n-Park.

A smile cookie for all.

3. In Sewickley
    June 4, 2008 10:08 am

This is more of a mancrush. Evgeni Malkin. Ya know, a one-way bromance.

4. deebee
    June 4, 2008 10:14 am

Well my son’s high school graduation is tonight @ 7pm so I will miss some of the game. Really can’t they plan this stuff better. From the pride of watching my son recieve his diploma then to come home and catch up on the game I don’t know if my heart can stand it!!

5. lovesthenorthside
    June 4, 2008 10:16 am

the omens are out there: 66 years since a team has come back from a 3-1 deficit to win the cup; 87% increase in viewership on nbc (mined from pensblog); 55 shots on goal to fleury…

it’s a hockey night in pittsburgh, and thanks to ex-pat pittsburgh girl, i now know how to get mike lange aligned with the action on tv, so all’s good in the world!

6. Stephanique1
    June 4, 2008 10:20 am

hehehe @ In Sewickley

BROMANCE

nice

June 4, 2008 10:27 am

#6: I definitely think that the NHL should just throw out all of the rules for the cup. after all, we haven’t seen a fight worth a damn since the regular season ended.

#7: evidently, talbot is related to yogi berra.

#8: SWEET pic.

deebee: where are your priorities? ;-)

from chicagoland (this week): LET’S GO PENS!

8. addie
    June 4, 2008 10:27 am

Did anyone see this bit on ESPN about Fleury “accidently” squirting water at the Octopus Guy before Monday’s opening face-off?

“Fleury’s most significant act of defiance might well have been before the game began, when he squirted water at Al Sobotka, the octopus-swinging Joe Louis Arena employee who incites the crowd from behind the visiting net before every home game.

Fleury was seen giving Sobotka a little liquid “hello” just before the opening faceoff. The ever-cheery Fleury paused when asked about it at Mellon Arena on Tuesday afternoon.

“It was an accident. I just missed my mouth by a little bit,” Fleury said. “I don’t know. It was just at the game, he does it to us [swinging the octopus]. And after the first two games, I thought I’ll give him a little something back. And we won, so it’s good.””

Hilarious!

The video interview with busted-up Malone is pretty choice, too.

LET’S GO PENS!!

9. Larry
    June 4, 2008 10:35 am

Well, to an extent, I agree with the “penalties shouldn’t decide an overtime game” idea. That’s just the way hockey has always been — whether it’s five-on-five or four-on-four, a man advantage shouldn’t decide an otherwise great game.

Nonetheless, that should only hold when it’s a ticky-tack foul; let them play through it, without a doubt! I winced when we got the interference calls, thinking of all the howling across the NHL. However, the high stick was an *automatic* call — that one gets called 100%, every time, when blood is drawn. No latitude for judgment calls. (And rightly so, since it’s the same idea as the “fair catch” or “running into the punter” calls in football — it’s a dangerous situation, and if hockey players don’t keep their sticks down, you can get some nasty injuries.

by the way — how can you align the radio with the tv??? i’m so sick of NBC’s pro-Red-Wing coverage that I’m almost willing to watch it tonight in silence!

10. spoon
    June 4, 2008 10:37 am

It should be stated that Stanley Cup Finals OT games, unless you’re bleeding get your ass up and skate. The difference is that in the regular season you only get 1 OT and then you go to a shootout. Cup playoffs go with OT’s until that puck enters a net.

So for us guys can we self-unite with the Pens Patrol? Let’s see I pick ummmm. damn, the one I dig isn’t on there and Jamie isn’t on the squad this year so I choose Iceburgh

11. Jenn
    June 4, 2008 10:40 am

I already called this on Twitter, but anyway.

Self-uniting to Malkin. He’s all HART!

12. Allison
    June 4, 2008 11:01 am

thank you Amazon woman for putting the BIGGEST smile on my face from your comment.

13. Sooska
    June 4, 2008 11:19 am

@ Larry- syncing radio with Tv- I understand Dick’s online has a device that will do that. online only however.

I am self-united with many of the 21 and over Pens. Geno is my Number 1. I just can’t go with Staalsy – he’s 19. WHOA!

To the dude at the DFP- you cannot call Scuds a coward for praying for blood and a hero for bleeding. Which do you want? He doesn’t make the rules. Let’s just give them all swords at the start of OT. Then there will be blood.
    Also, Bettman cannot be a genius mastermind and an incompetent boob at once. Can he?

14. Katie
    June 4, 2008 11:31 am

#3: Holy shit. I am actually wearing a shirt today that says The Fast and the Fleuryous on it! I must say, it is quite amazing…

#8: Sweet pic indeed

15. Bulldog
    June 4, 2008 11:31 am

I’m with Pittgirl on this one. You don’t stop calling penalties just because it’s overtime. That “innocent high stick” as he called it can easily be a deadly weapon and to not enforce penalties would be to give folks in the throes of desperation “license to kill.”

I agree with the sentiment that the game “shouldn’t” have been decided by special teams, but that was in the hands of the players. Control your stick, don’t take the penalty. Putting it on the refs FOR DOING THEIR JOB is a totally lame and lazy way to write a column. What’s the ref supposed to do? Ignore it?

16. Tricia Tanaka
    June 4, 2008 3:13 pm

Since I am gender-challenged and cannot grow a playoff beard, I did the next best thing by not getting my hair cut. It started looking rather fug about three weeks ago, but, solidarity. Looking forward to Sunday when I can go to the beauty salon.

17. Christina
    June 4, 2008 3:14 pm

Amazon Woman, I laughed outloud at work over your comment. Fantastic.

18. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    June 4, 2008 3:51 pm

@Larry — if you have a dvr, just pause the tv program for about 20-30 seconds until the radio/computer audio (for out of towners) synchs up. Otherwise, you have to spring, for the device that does it.

I can’t decide on one player to self unite with, but I’ve always been a sucker for guys named Max, so that does it — I hereby self-unite with Maxime Talbot, a/k/a Jesus. (My grandmother always wanted one of her granddaughters to be a “bride of Christ” do this will have to do since I’m not joining a convent.)

19. scottie
    June 4, 2008 4:30 pm

Amazon..I’ll see you there! First round of smilies on me! or on Sidney…nom nom nom…

20. Pensgirl
    June 4, 2008 5:02 pm

5. If Mario Lemieux was not French Don Cherry would have been up his ass through his whole career.

6. Pittgirl, you just hit on the single most exasperating thing about being a hockey fan. In no other walk of life do people think that ignoring the rulebook at certain times is a good idea. If I didn’t find it so infuriating that many people think changing how the rules are called over the course of a game isn’t interfering with the outcome, I’d find it funny. But here’s something I like to posit to those people:

Let’s say the Hounds and the Stags are playing, and a Hound player high-sticks a Stag in the first period and gets thrown in the box. The Stags score on the power play, and the game stays 1-0. Then with three minutes left in the game, a Stag high-sticks a Hound but nothing is called. How is doing it that way not determining the outcome of the game?!?! For the exact same action, the Stags were given an advantage and the Hounds were not. How, I ask the advocates of junking the rulebook, is that not interfering with the outcome of the game? No one can ever answer me that.

It ain’t right! It should be the simplest thing in the world: the whole idea of rules is to make everybody follow them. As soon as you start straying, you’re getting in the way of the game. If a game is won on an advantage, you’ll learn not to do what got you called.

I often wonder if that attitude didn’t stem from the general belief that the officiating in hockey is poor, but all ignoring the rulebook in overtime does is make it both poor and inconsistent. There just needs to be an overall quality upgrade.

The NFL seems to do a much better job training referees and maintaining consistency (both through games and across the league). You hear complaints about bad calls in individual situations, but not about pervasive officiating problems. The NHL could learn a lot from the NFL to that end.

Sorry for the rant; that just really ruffles my feathers.

8. That photoshop was submitted to The Pensblog and they included it in their game recap yesterday morning. I forget who it was, but as always they gave proper credit to the person who made it.