1. Good rainy morning, Burghers far and wide. It’s a rainy, thunder-y, and maybe tornado-y day here in the Burgh, but who gives a damn? It’s hockey night! As long as the Igloo is still standing by game time, we’re fine. This post is going to be pretty much all Pens all the time. If that’s not your thing, bloop-bloop-bloop.
2. I tried to get away with wearing my Hossa shirt with my skirt to work today, but surprisingly, I just couldn’t make it look dressy enough. Not even with the diamond tiara and sash. Bummer. But I’m still wearing the appropriate colors.
3. The Edmonton Sun gives Marc Andre his due. That is that he is a hockey god. The best headline so far was the one I saw briefly but can’t find again: The Fast and The Fleuryous. Holla.
4. If you guys haven’t been reading The Pensblog lately, you must go check it out. They’re really doing some stellar reporting over there, particularly at capturing the emotions behind the games. I heart them so much, they’ve been added to the blogroll. Somewhere, my friend Chad Hermann is all, “Oh, no she di’int!!” Saucy said, “Oh, snap, she di’id!”
5. Don Cherry says that Mario Lemieux “embarrassed” the NHL referees during his playing days. Don Cherry … say it with me … can bite me. Also, Don Cherry embarrasses himself with that jacket of his. That looks like an outfit LaMont Jones would put together.
6. Here’s another article to allow you to practice your anger management. As a hockey fan for most of my life, but not the kind of fan that can talk hockey rules like I can talk football rules, this confuses me:
But the problem was that special teams should never determine the outcome of a battle as spirited as Game 5. Referees should never dictate an overtime game, but that’s what happened Monday. Nothing short of decapitation should merit a man-advantage in overtime. It’s the antithesis of the hockey code — play until you bleed and then play even harder. The overtime officiating was an insult to the players’ unflinching commitment to sacrifice their bodies at any cost for the ultimate prize.
Wait. I’m sorry. So in hockey, in overtime, the rules don’t count? Wow. Can we get this in football so that the next time we’re in an overtime situation we can just pummel the punt returner even when he calls fair catch? Or, or, can we just go for the quarterback’s knees? We’re not decapitating him. Just sweeping the leg.
7. Who said it?
“Physically, it’s more mentally than anything. If you can understand what I’m saying. ‘Cause I can’t.”
a. George Bush, because come on, that totes sounds like something he would say.
b. Lukey Ravenstahl, about how gosh darn hard it is to be Mayor and be all ethical and shit.
c. Saucy, about how frickin’ awesome she is.
d. Maxime Talbot, about how frickin’ awesome HE is. Jesus saves.
8. Reader Heather sent this photo that she mentioned had been making the rounds at her work.
9. Lots of readers have emailed me to let me know that they’ve self-united to various Pens players. I sure hope Marc Andre Fleury is prepared for his 17 wives and two husbands.